Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Top Oiler Kits??

I remember a long time ago seeing "top oiler kits" in J.C. Whitney, etc. These apparently included some tubing and fittings to route additional oil up into valve covers to provide more lubrication to rockers. I guess I never understood the need for these until I experienced a problem with my Y block Ford. I have a '55 Customline, 272c.i., with 40,000 actual miles. The engine bent a pushrod. Pulled rocker shaft and disassembled and found most of the rockers and both rocker shafts badly scored as if no oil was reaching them. Replaced all the parts but if it happened once it will happen again, right? Is this what the top oiler kits were for? Can anyone tell me how to do a modification like this or any other suggestions?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Top Oiler Kits??

I the old y blocks for many years and never had the problem you are talking about. I got all my customers to follow my plan of using 20/W oil and changing it at 2,000 miles. There is a small hole for the oil to feed up throught to the heads. It must be cleaned. Use a high detergent oil like Pennzoil etc. Some oil back then would sludge a lot of oil. I use a high volume oil pump. The spring can be shimed if my memory serves me correctly. Hopes this helps. Yes these oiler were for the problem you asked about.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Back in the late 50's that oiler kit was

common on the earlier y-blocks. I seem to

remember the cam bearings to be the problem

. They would wear and block the hole and no

oil would get to the rockers. The kit tapped

into the block where the oil pressure gauge

or lite sending unit screwed in. A tee fitting allowed both. A copper line went to

both valve covers and into the ends of the rocker arms. They had a adjustment to meter

the flow to get lubercation but not too much.

Possibly some one still has a kit ????????????????????

jack

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Thanks Donald and Jack for your replies. My car only has 40,000 miles on it and even with the inferior (by today's standards) oils of 40+ years ago, it seems like the rockers shouldn't have failed like this. But, it did happen and I've replaced the parts and want to avoid the same thing again. Jack, are you saying the copper oil line goes through the valve cover and all the way into the rocker shaft, or just in the cover to "squirt" oil into the space? Also, any thoughts on what size restriction to put in line to control flow and prevent lowering oil pressure to other parts--lower end. Thanks again Guys! Mike.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Mike, the kit contained (if I remember correctly) hollow studs to replace the rear valve cover studs and the oil line connected to the studs and fed oil through the rocker shafts to the rocker arms. The shaft had to be drilled at the end of the studs to allow the oil to enter.

A '55 engine with only 40,000 miles has undoubtedly set up for a period of time. You might try taking the rocker assembly off and cleaning the oiling hole through the heads. Maybe the old non detergent oils have allowed the holes to clog.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanks again for your responses Don, Gene, and Jack. I think before I start modifying anything I'll pull the rockers and clean the oil passages. With high detergent oil and frequent oil changes I should be o.k. The car still won't see many miles at all. Thanks again. This forum and the flathead forum are great! Got a Flathead I haven't started on yet.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

The oiler kits your talking about were used mainly because of the oil used back then,I have had many many Y BLKS and never had the problem myself but I know some people that did but they all had overhead 6's.I have a 57 T-bird and have no oiling problem even with the rear main!just keep you oil changed and you'll be fine.