Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #61
TJ

Default Re: 1937 Ford Fordor Survivor

Tony, spray some "Lock-Ease" into your door locks. The old lube in the locks has probably caused the tumblers to stick. You can get "Lock-Ease" at any hardware store.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #62
Older'n dirt

I had the same problem with my door lock. I used PB Blaster. Shot it directly into the key slot and gently worked the key for a couple of days. As with the Ignition/Column lock, it freed up and works like new now. Just take it slow and easy. You don't wanna twist the key or break it in the lock.
Older'n dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #63
TonyM

This spider held up my fuel tank install for two hours on Saturday. He was spotted during a last minute check prior to install. I could see him way back there with my mini mag light. He would not shake loose so I poured a small amount of gasoline (about a shot glass full) in the tank and sealed up the holes. I drank a beer while waiting. Drained out the gas and hoped for the best. I spotted the spider on the wall baffle close to the filler hole. He was dead and stuck to the tank. I tried to vaccume him out but he stayed fixed. I found a long twig and put some electrical tape on the end. I looked in and he had fallen to the floor of the tank. I poked my spider extracting tool into the tank and got him.

This tank is now in brand new condition and installed on my 1937 Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6786.jpg (33.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6789.jpg (59.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6809.jpg (74.3 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 11-25-2012 at 10:10 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #64
TonyM

Got this old Ford running today at last!!!

Runs strong, sounds good, real good.

Got a small fuel leak problem at the carb and the car did quit on both rides it went on but was easily restarted. Have a bunch of new parts and all new wires that will be installed this winter. Need to get some new tires for the upcoming car season.

Thanks to my old friend Tom Starcevich and special thanks to my friend and old car mechanic pal Mitch Markese who has taught me a lot. Thanks to you all on FordBarn who helped me, especially Alan and DavidJ.

Here is a photo of Mitch doing some work.

TM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6971.jpg (60.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 01-12-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
TonyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENcOt...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by TonyM; 02-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #66
Royal Ryser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
A couple Fridays ago I was able to get the 1937 Ford Fuel Filler Neck to break loose from the fuel tank with a spanner. Took six months of Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster and cleaning the void between neck and tank. Could not get the the threaded sleeve to break loose of the fuel filler neck. So I cut it off.

I disconnected the exhaust brackets and I moved the tail pipe out of the way. Took the fuel tank bolts off--which were still safety wired to the frame-- then I slid the tank a few inches to the passenger side and it came out of the frame rails easy. The tank is in excellent shape on the inside. Couldn't believe it. Probably could have been used it as is. But how was I to know until I took a look? The sender looks to be in very good shape. I put it back on for now.

I am going to restore the tank with the POR15 kit. Should I treat the sender mechanism with anything? Or just leave it alone? How should I cover the sender hole when I use the solutions and sealer? I was thinking of making something. Any ideas?

Here are some recent photos.
Not sure I understand how you handled the gas tank filler tube. Did you cut it off before you removed the tank? If so, did you have any trouble getting the tank out with part of the filler tube attached? I'm having trouble getting my filler tube off and will probably have to cut it off.
Thanks, Royal Ryser
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #67
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
Not sure I understand how you handled the gas tank filler tube. Did you cut it off before you removed the tank? If so, did you have any trouble getting the tank out with part of the filler tube attached? I'm having trouble getting my filler tube off and will probably have to cut it off.
Thanks, Royal Ryser

I cut off the fuel filler neck from the threaded sleeve before I removed the fuel tank. I was able to get the threaded sleeve to move but it would not break free of the fuel filler neck. I took precautions and sawed the fuel filler neck beyond the threaded sleeve. Once the fuel filler neck was removed, the threaded sleeve came off very easy. Once the threaded sleeve was removed from the tank it was fairly easy to get the fuel tank to come down and off. TM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6547.jpg (124.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #68
TonyM

Installed this very nice robe cord that I purchased from a FordBarner named Vince.
Looks like it was always there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6953.jpg (38.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6952.jpg (40.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6951.jpg (35.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 01-14-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #69
David J

Makes it all worth it doesn't it !!!! NICE car and congrats .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #70
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Makes it all worth it doesn't it !!!! NICE car and congrats .

Thanks DavidJ!!!
Thanks for all of your help.

Glad to have it running and driving. Going to rewire the entire car, replace windshield glass and install new tires.

TonyM
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #71
TonyM

Went for three rides today (50 degrees F in the Chicago area on January 19). The third ride turned into a "push." The type 59 carb failed and is leaking badly from the body and base. The carb is bolted to the later type intake manifold by a stud that is welded into place (the corner where the stud goes in apparently broke off). The "repair" is very poor.

Lucky for me I have a reconditioned 1937 aluminum intake with all studs and gaskets, a new fuel pump and a usable Stromberg 97 that I got from a fellow EFV-8 club member.

Took the windshield out today and replaced it with a spare from a standard that I bought from a Ford Barn guy last year. The standard windshield and frame will remain in place while I am restoring my DeLuxe Windshield and frame.

TM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6973.jpg (78.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6337.jpg (39.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Carb_007.jpg (42.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #72
Mart

The carb is probably flooding due to either a problem with the float or a non sealing needle valve. As you have had the tank out and back in, the needle valve is favourite. A 94 will only leak if the float level is too high (bad float or needle valve) or the power valve is bad.

It might be worth fitting a filter between the fuel pipe and pump for a while until things settle down.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #73
TonyM

Thanks Mart. Not going to worry about rebuilding the "59" -- will install all my new stuff when the weather breaks; 49-50 degrees F yesterday--12 degrees F today.

Also discovered that the car slips out of second gear on occasion.

Thanks to all who troubled to respond.

TonyM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #74
TonyM

deleted post

Last edited by TonyM; 01-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #75
VeryTangled

Slipping out of second is a traditional issue, I am told, especially when going downhill without acceleration. Before our tranny rebuild I learnt to keep yer' hand pressing forward on the shifter when in second.

Love the robe cord, we put one into the Phaeton. For a while I had a blanket with a Ford logo hanging there that I got from KenCT at the Auburn CNM 2012. (Ken treated me well and let me keep almost all my limbs. I think I did him a favor because he said he'd hauled that blanket ten thousand miles around the country before I got my wallet out.)

Did the fuel sender work out okay? I've had to fiddle with ours (and the gauge) quite a bit. Was working fine for a year then it developed a leak in the float so it read empty all the time. It was replaced with a float from a new gauge, refitted into our old sender.

-VT/Jeff

Last edited by VeryTangled; 01-20-2013 at 02:24 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #76
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Did the fuel sender work out okay? I've had to fiddle with ours (and the gauge) quite a bit. Was working fine for a year then it developed a leak in the float so it read empty all the time. It was replaced with a float from a new gauge, refitted into our old sender.

-VT/Jeff

Jeff, Have not reconnected the sender wire because the wire is so deteriorated. I have a complete harness from Narrangansette Reproductions for a complete re-wire.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #77
TonyM

1937 Ford Aluminum Intake, Stromberg 97, new fuel pump and fuel line to be installed soon; re-wired tail lights, crossover harness, body harness and fuel sender up to the front--here are the old wires, which were found to be in very poor condition; these tail light looms look good but in reality are really breaking down. I put in new harness from Narrangansette Reproductions.

I will be taking out the front seat so that I can rewire under the instrument panel and through the dash; have new fuse block/resisting unit. Rewired headlights and horns; headlight harness is ready to install up to the switch body. Stop light switch had about a quarter inch of grime and grease encasing it. Cleaned it up and re-installed--hope it works; if not I have a new one. Looking forward to finishing up the rewire and manifold install. The weather is breaking so the unheated garage won't be so unheated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6996.jpg (62.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7068.jpg (72.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7069.jpg (75.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7039.jpg (62.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7070.jpg (55.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 04-02-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #78
Mart

Looks like you're really taking care of things.

Nice shiney new parts. Mmmmmmmm

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #79
TonyM

After thinking about it for many months, I decided to try and stabilize this headliner by adding really stiff (but thin) cardboard to hold the headliner in place and prevent it from flapping around. It looks like it will work. I am even thinking of mixing some paint for the airbrush and paint the cardboard to match the color of the headliner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7122.jpg (57.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7123.jpg (44.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7125.jpg (48.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7126.jpg (43.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7127.jpg (53.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7129.jpg (35.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #80
Marv

Smile Re: 1937 Ford Fordor Survivor

That looks like it will work well. Since you are going to paint to match the headliner, what would you think about making it one peice cardboard frfom front to rear and matching the contour of the car and headliner and mounting it like you have with stainless screws. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote