Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
russcc

Default Bendix brakes ?

I plan on converting '40 Ford front brakes to Bendix type with some backing plate modifications. As a former machinist in the early days, the work is pretty straight forward. What I would like to find out is what year Buick brake shoes are supposed to work with that setup. Thank you Fordbarners.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Bendix brakes ?

You do know they are being reproduced? Why not buy all the components except the backing plates from MT Car products?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
HemiDeuce

The shoes are FMSI # 29, and the lining is # 253, I think !
HemiDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
deucemac

Find a set of early '50's F2 backing plates' They are 12" bendix and shoes are available in a width compatible to your forty. They come with a single side wheel cylinder but "56 F100 cylinders will work. All you need to do is drill a second hole in the backing plate and get 2 push rods for the shoes, and if you want self adjusters, find an early '70's GM wagon in a bone yard and remove all the adjuster components. Idid it on my roadster and have a complete brake system for less than the MT backing plates alone!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
russcc

Thank you for the part numbers and tips. I plan to have the satisfaction of making my own since I am capable and have machine shop in the barn. I understand that the '48 & up F1 & F100's also work with some spindle flange modification.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Update: One of those days, I total had this messed up!
As Andy points out below, the backing plates are the same. The hub and drums are what have to match up. The F1 hubs will fit the earlier spindles with the correct bearing and some modifications.
The following is totally wrong!!
"The F1 backing plates and spindles will work as a set and the F100 backing plates and spindles will work as a set. But, you can not mix F1 and F100 backing plates or spindles they are different."

Last edited by JSeery; 12-17-2015 at 05:45 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Andy

F-1 and F100 backing plates are exactly the same. The hubs and drums are different. F2 backing plates have a different off set so require a lot more work to fit them with drums. There is no hub that lends itself easily to the adaption because the drums tries to be in the wrong place.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
F-1 and F100 backing plates are exactly the same. The hubs and drums are different. F2 backing plates have a different off set so require a lot more work to fit them with drums. There is no hub that lends itself easily to the adaption because the drums tries to be in the wrong place.
Yep, think you are correct!! Brain fart on that one. It's the drum and the hub.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemac View Post
Find a set of early '50's F2 backing plates' They are 12" bendix and shoes are available in a width compatible to your forty. They come with a single side wheel cylinder but "56 F100 cylinders will work. All you need to do is drill a second hole in the backing plate and get 2 push rods for the shoes, and if you want self adjusters, find an early '70's GM wagon in a bone yard and remove all the adjuster components. Idid it on my roadster and have a complete brake system for less than the MT backing plates alone!
What did you use for hubs & drums? Did you have any offset problems to deal with?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
deucemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
What did you use for hubs & drums? Did you have any offset problems to deal with?
I am running finned aluminum Buick drums and Wilson welding hubs. I got the idea from Don Montgomery, the ex-racer and now hot rod historian. He is running the F2 brakes on the front of his '32 3 window with stock drums and hubs ('40-'48). I had 4 Buick drums and a total of $20 invested so decided to go with the Wilson hubs. You can get either 1 3/4 wide or 2" wide shoes from NAPA so it can be matched to you stock drum. By the way, all this talk about F1 or F100 brakes vs F2,Lincoln, or MT brakes must be evaluated on size too. F1 and F100 are both 11" and the others are 12" That is a lot more sweep area for stopping in the 12" and they are both Bendix self energizing type brakes. Sometimes size matters!
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote