Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Been thinking about the Thunderbird Forum

Do most of you join the Thunderbird Forum? I did sign up but have not paid any money yet. Is it worth it? I really like this Forum. You fellows have help me so much. The 56 T-Bird has come a good way and still got a lot to do to make it a nice driver. That my goal. I am getting a bit old and slowing up some. I am up at 4:30 every morning and go to bed at 11 PM. This Thursday we are married for 60 years. We go out to Dee Jay's in W.V. for the best Ribs you ever have eaten. I am hopping to have 20 more years before I cash in.Maybe 25 never know.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Been thinking about the Thunderbird Forum

Exactly what forum are you referring to. I am on a number of several TBird forums and never had to pay for any of them. If it's the VTCI forum, you do not have to join their club if you want to use the forum. Just apply for for it. It is a very good forum in my opinion. I am not a member of VTCI.

CTCI ( (Classic Thunderbird Club International) has a web site that is open to non-members, although certain parts are off limits to non-members. The tech section is open to non-members ( CTCI.org). Unfortunately, it does not have a forum.

Another forum you may be interested in the the forum on Y Blocks (although they discuss all sorts of items relating to 54-64 cars and trucks). www.y-blocksforever.com . Like VTCI, you have to join, but again, there is no cost.

Last edited by paul2748; 06-24-2020 at 08:21 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
alt63bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Exactly what forum are you referring to. I am on a number of several TBird forums and never had to pay for any of them. If it's the VTCI forum, you do not have to join their club if you want to use the forum. Just apply for for it. It is a very good forum in my opinion. I am not a member of VTCI.[/URL]
I'm VERY biased on this one, as you can tell by my signature. While you do not have to be a dues-paying member of VTCI to participate in the VTCI Forum, I do want to go on record and bring to peoples' attention that it's through the paid members of VTCI and its advertisers that the VTCI Forum has been able to offer this service since 2003 without restrictions to non-VTCI dues-paying members. The wealth of over 17 years' of information and postings would be irreplaceable if VTCI found it could no longer financially sustain this aspect of its operating expenses and had to "pull the plug." The same can probably be said for similar message boards/forum sites offered by the Early V-8 Club of America, Mustang Club of America, Fairlane Club of America, Lincoln-Continental Owner's Club, Crown Victoria Association, etc. - some of which do have membership restrictions for access to features of their websites/message boards/forums.

Personally, re: the paid "Thunderbird Forum" I have not explored it to any depth or degree because of my dedication to assisting with the VTCI Forum since well before its inception. I highly doubt it contains the breadth and depth of knowledge that has been reposited in VTCI's site.

As for CTCI's version, while I am also a CTCI member I have not spent a significant amount of time on it to offer an evaluation of what it has to offer or how its access to information is restricted to non-members.

In this day and age where everybody wants "free stuff" and fewer people are interested in being dues-paying members of clubs such as VTCI (paid memberships also come with an annual subscription to "Thunderbird Scoop" magazine, BTW), at some point in the future there may be a need to consider CTCI's model of restricting certain functions to dues-paying members only.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
JimNNN

So far, every question about my Thunderbird that I've posed on the VTCI forum has been adequately answered, though I've sought and received answers elsewhere, too. If there's a more informative forum, I'm not aware of it. I've also connected to people on that forum who've been a very good source for used parts.

Having said that, I get the impression that the site is a little more focused on the 4 seaters of the early to mid sixties, and I think Old Redneck has a first generation car. The first generation forum on VTCI still has thousands of topics discussed, but about half of either the third of fourth generation forums. However, that may be because there are a lot more third and fourth generation cars than first. (For some reason, there don't seem to be many posts on the second generation forum - 58 to 60 - and I don't know why that is.)

I believe the first gen forum has a fair bit of activity, though. But be patient if you pose questions or ask for help - even on the fourth gen forum it can still be a day or two before you get your first answer.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
alt63bird

JimNNN - a little history/"back-story" may be in order here. VTCI (originally Vintage Thunderbird Club of America) had its original focus on '58-'60 when started in 1968, then expanded into the '61-'66 generations in the mid-late '70s and stuck with that niche through the early 1990s, when its coverage expanded into newer models. In '98-'99 members petitioned for a general membership vote to add the first-generation cars, which passed in '99. Now we are in 2020, with T-bird production having ended 15 years ago - yikes!

In terms of popularity by generation, yes - VTCI's Forum is core on the '61-'63 and '64-'66 side with '55-'57 pulling a distant third, while remaining generations languish or get virtually no "love" (re: interest). We see that at events, too. I think most of the '58-'60 traffic is drawn to the Squarebirds.org forum, but then again they haven't fared as well over the years as the third- and fourth-generation cars. Likewise, interest in the post-'66 models is very waning, but there is some occasional activity. Plus there are enthusiast sites geared toward the Fox- and MN12-bodied '80s-'90s cars, "Porthole Authority" for the Retro cars, etc., so the coverages gets spread out.

With that being said, the success (or failure) of a forum like what VTCI hosts is solely dependent on those who contribute their time and knowledge, along with their passion for a particular generation or model. I had to chastise one person who was impatient and wanted "instant gratification" for an answer "right NOW" with his first posting and left "to go to one of the Facebook sites" in a huff because he didn't get his answer within 10 minutes to a few hours - he commented that he was accustomed to the immediacy of Facebook/ Instagram-esque fan sites. Many of the younger generation don't appreciate that a lot of us have lives to live, jobs to work at or multiple interests, and that sometimes answers don't come at the snap of a finger or the push of a 'submit' button, especially if some research is needed to develop an answer.

There are a good number of long-time VTCA/VTCI members that participate along with a similar number of newer ones who weren't even around when many of them were new. Having monitored the site over the decades I do see trends where the restomodders and such are increasing in participation, but that's somewhat of a generational (and budgetary) thing in my mind that's happening across the collector car hobby.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
Old Redneck

I am willing to pay my fair share whatever I do. I am 80 years old and my travel is not what it use to be do to my eye sight. I have a 56 T-Bird not interest in 58 and up. The Ford barn has been a great help. I just wanted to here what you have to say. That all. I have not decided what to do as yet. Thank you
Old 06-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
miker98038

alt63bird, thanks for the information and history. I've always wondered where everything fell in the scheme of things and that all interesting.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
JimNNN

I agree with miker98038 - the VTCI forum history was interesting, and thanks for going to the trouble of explaining it.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Old Redneck

The VTCI is what I will sign up. Its what I have been looking for. THANK for the help. Lot of good information there. That what I need.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Old Redneck

I sign up CTCI I pretty sure I will like it. The Ford Barn is my first choice. This week is Springfield. I can't go too much work to do around here. Got to check out the front end to make sure it safety drive.