Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
GRutter

Default When do parts become junk ?

I have always been amazed at the parts that are offered for sale on eBay that, in my opinion, should have been thrown away.

That having been said, however, it really bothers me to throw away old parts that are worn out, but then I always ask myself, what am I saving it for.

For example, on a recent overhaul of my 28 Tudor, I found a front spindle that had bushing holes so worn, the king pin bushings just fell out. I found good used spindles and threw away the old spindles.

Likewise on a rebuild of a 7-tooth steering column, a sector gear was worn out and gauled.

What should we, as Model A enthusiasts, be doing with these parts? Anyone else pitching them ? I can't see myself trying to sell worn-out parts on eBay.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
harleynut

Default Re: When do parts become junk ?

Good question. I got parts some still good used and some scrap. When the weather brakes, I'll be going to the scrap yard and the semi good parts will be going to the Swap Meet.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
Gary WA

Building Model "A" Yard Art for sure!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a cartoon.jpg (78.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
1930-Pickup

Any part for any car can be reworked. Its a matter of value.

Why spend 250.00 repairing your old spindles when good used ones cost about 50 or so? If the spindles were for a high-end Packard or other fabulous and rare car, repairing the spindles is many times the only choice.

The bad thing about tossing the old Model A parts is that one day, believe it or not, the plethora of original parts will be gone. Then there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth about tossing all those parts.

So, its about value, unless you care what happens to these cars 100 years from now. Is it about you, or about the preservation of history?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
larrys40

As parts are determined to be no longer useful for reserve keeping I scrap them in the can. They may be unsafe or not rebuildable by standards and there are still many parts out there.

If it's something that could be used then I keep it. At times I have kept some junk parts to be used as an example for a seminar etc as to what's not acceptable.
Being most aren't doing their own rebuilding these days I don't do much of that
anymore( keeping scrap parts)
Used and worn bearings,steering parts etc should all be put in the scrap bin or do not use pile. Your choice from there

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post

The bad thing about tossing the old Model A parts is that one day, believe it or not, the plethora of original parts will be gone. Then there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth about tossing all those parts.

So, its about value, unless you care what happens to these cars 100 years from now. Is it about you, or about the preservation of history?
heh i was talkin to Rainmaker Ron about this one day - back in the 60-s 70-s if a fender had a small tear but otherwise pristiene it was considered junk. AA's were worthless and could hardly give em away as well.

I have some AA parts that are worn out - probably junk but cant bring myself to actually junk them haha. Someday i will have a swap meet space somewhere and there will be a FREE tarp full of this stuff - id rather have someone take the worn out parts for any reason than get it back from china as a brake drum...
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
burner31

Anything can be repurposed into something...so is it really junk?
Apparently spark plugs fit the repurposing mold quite well.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
pooch

I just hope the top choppers save the bits they chop out.

When the fad ends and stock height roofs come back in to vogue, it will be a nightmare to refab all those sections.

It would be easier to raise the Titanic than raise a roof.

Re old worn out mechanical bits, if you, as the owner/restorer found something else, and the fact that original cars will not have much of a resale market in another generation, if you have room , keep 'em, if not..... chuck 'em.

The value on old worn out junk is only in the eye of the beholder.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
Ford Acar

[QUOTE=1930-Pickup;1571971]Any part for any car can be reworked. Its a matter of value.

We have already hit this time in Australia. Large numbers of Ford A's were scrapped or left to rust away, and parts were discarded as worthless from the 1950's onward.
Given the smaller numbers of Model A's we started with, quality usable or restorable parts are now a relative rarity.
Heed the old adage" Junk today is gold tomorrow." and preserve your parts, whatever their condition.
Ross
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:21 AM   #10
dumb person

almost never <--- a link you can click.
By the way, you can build up worn parts like steering shafts & sectors, spindles ect with nickle plating, quite thick and machine them back to size.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable

Last edited by dumb person; 12-29-2017 at 03:36 AM.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
DougVieyra

Living on a remote wilderness ranch, we throw nothing away !
Everything that has outlived its intended use, can very often (especially if you wait long enough) be re-purposed into another item or use in helping to fulfill another part of the solution to another problem/task/project.

And it is not just Model A parts that wind up in the 'bone-yard'. Everything -
from anything - that 'dies' in one life, gets a second chance at being useful while it waits patiently in the 'bone-yard'.

I have even used a lot of worn out Model A parts as reinforcing rebar in cement work.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #12
Ford Acar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Living on a remote wilderness ranch, we throw nothing away !
Everything that has outlived its intended use, can very often (especially if you wait long enough) be re-purposed into another item or use in helping to fulfill another part of the solution to another problem/task/project.

And it is not just Model A parts that wind up in the 'bone-yard'. Everything -
from anything - that 'dies' in one life, gets a second chance at being useful while it waits patiently in the 'bone-yard'.

I have even used a lot of worn out Model A parts as reinforcing rebar in cement work.
I think that you have missed my point!!!
Ford Acar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
vulture

I see a number of guys buying a single spindle to make a wheel streighting truing fixture...
I am sorry to say I have thrown out many large items like rearends ,springs, bumpers and beautiful model a engine blocks. The blocks I had were hot tanked mag/fluxed and uncracked. I drug them to a number of swapmeets and couldn't give them away for free. Worn out parts are a different thing good for art projects and mock ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
I have always been amazed at the parts that are offered for sale on eBay that, in my opinion, should have been thrown away.

That having been said, however, it really bothers me to throw away old parts that are worn out, but then I always ask myself, what am I saving it for.

For example, on a recent overhaul of my 28 Tudor, I found a front spindle that had bushing holes so worn, the king pin bushings just fell out. I found good used spindles and threw away the old spindles.

Likewise on a rebuild of a 7-tooth steering column, a sector gear was worn out and gauled.

What should we, as Model A enthusiasts, be doing with these parts? Anyone else pitching them ? I can't see myself trying to sell worn-out parts on eBay.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Kevin in NJ

If you are just building a driver what does it matter.

A touch of sarcasm unfortunately based on reality.

Seriously though, some people have no clue and feel it is just a Model A as Ford just threw them together. I hear it all the time. Then people look at me funny when I tell them the car is precision built like a race car in many areas. They laugh at me and do not car I can show them the prints.

There is a reason why so many think the top speed of the A is 45 MPH.
There is a reason why I believe most of the 45 MPH cars are not safe to drive at 25.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
2manycars

I was called to go see some model A parts for sale by a guy who's father had restored a car. The parts were all the things the father discarded because they were no good. He tried to sell me an oil pump with the housing broken in half. He said a rebuilt kit was available. I told him the kit included everything except the broken housing. the parts were all junk. I left without buying anything.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
ronn

All comes down to economies of scale. If you have room to store parts and want to, then do it. Most cant afford to hold onto everything. In 100 years, it might be illegal to drive gas engined cars. Do we know for fact the future? not at all. So we have to live in the now.

I threw a perfectly good rear in the boneyard a few months back. Felt bad, but offered it up free to a fella needing one. Only thing, he wanted an early one and mine didnt fit the bill. Sure he is still looking and wo a rear. Ashame yes, but that's life.

Now if I could only go back to HS and date that hot 10 chick I always dreamt about!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
Railcarmover
BANNED

Your whole perspective changes when you find a part you need in your 'scrap pile'.

That new perspective is never shared by your wife.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
holdover

Live on a farm with plenty of storage, so I rarely throw things away. The future value of a worn part depends on its rarity and your ability to fix it. I often re purpose things that most people throw away. Lathe, drill press, welders etc. make it easier to do. I recall something I heard over 60 years ago "one mans garbage is another's gold" That was said by a Gentleman by the name of Les Cutting who owned a car bone yard in Huntington NY and had the best collection of old cars I have ever seen in my life.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

Use that worn sector gear as a driver when hammering something big. It's hardened and makes a great large drift/punch when trying to budge heavy immovable parts. Applications other than automotive also come to mind as a driver.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Will Ziegler in LI NY

Holdover,

Wow, Les Cutting, that is a name form the past. When I was about 11 my father took me over to his house to see his cars. Still remember the early 1900's DeDion-Bouton and the Chandler? that he used to drive to Hershey. My dad bought parts from his junk yard in the 50's.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote