Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
1929closed cab

Question Paint color choice

I understand that the 1929 Pickup only had two options for paint color,Black or Green...and they are judged by that factor. What if a company...lets say a Fuel Oil company or any other business bought a fleet of 29 Pu's and painted them another color to match their fleet... and lettered them with their logo... how would this not be acceptable to a judge...Would Henry paint them for the customer if a quantity of vehicles were ordered? When would this practice have started? When was it an option for customers to order paint colors on Fleet vehicles? This question started out with only one question and ended up with 3... sorry...just trying to understand this hobby a little bit better!
Thanks so much!
1929closed cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
'29wagon

Default Re: Paint color choice

depression era fleet purchase? i'd like to see a whole set of those, it'd be a nice reunion.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
1929closed cab

29wagon! Thanks for answering my question...People post things to learn more about the hobby...If I wanted sarcasm...I would have asked an 8 year old!!! or maybe I did!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Would Henry paint them for the customer if a quantity of vehicles were ordered? When would this practice have started?
I don't think options like "fleet colors" were available until 1931. There is a service letter about car and commercial vehicle colors in summer of 1931. Let me find it and post the link a little later.

Here is is,

Commercial colors

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-01-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
1929closed cab

Mike...Thanks so much that answers one of my questions and help better understand Judging
Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
'29wagon

1929closed cab,
No sarcasm intended when I wrote that, If there was a fleet purchase ordered to match, I meant what I wrote.
Take it easy guy .
Times were tough I'm sure and if you've got evidence of that occurrence do share.
Yes it is a hobby for some, seems though others might run a bit farther with it.
Throw in judging and, well that brings back that thread about a rich man.
Maybe it is a rich mans hobby, an uptight mans and a poor unfortunate mans transportation on here reading up on ways to keep it rolling.
Others simply want to learn.
Respectfully .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Ken Ehrenhofer

Smile Re: Paint color choice

The judging is focusing on how the car or truck came off the assembly line. And in 1929 all trucks (it is believed) came off the assembly line painted a specificcolor and black wheels without white wall tires. If you study all the Ford photos you will see a very good example of what I am saying. This means you can paint it another color but you will be docked some points for it. Not a problem as long as you realize that. I am sure some were painted red for fire dept use but this was done at the dealer or a private coach builder and not off the assembly line.
The colors for 29 commercial are:
  • Rock Moss Green
  • Black
  • Commercial drab
  • L'anse green
  • Gunmetal blue
In 1931 due to saggin sales the factory started to offer an assortment of colors to the commercial clients but only to boost sales. Fleet colors were started at this point and continue to this day.
If you are new to this hobby I welcome you to the greatest hobby in the world!
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Ken Ehrenhofer

Smile Re: Paint color choice

Remember Ford sold Chassis' only that went to all kinds of private coach builders. These companies would build special bodies and paint the truck whatever color the customer wanted. If you looked at Rob Mills fire truck at French Lick you saw a black fire wall and a red body. That means that the chassis left the factory painted black and the outside only was paint red during the building process at the Fire truck company in Indiana. Page three of the Restoration guidelines states "as it was driven off the assembly line" so I hope this explains why the cars and trucks are judged this way. Paint I believe is 30 points and you would probably loose at least half if you had a fleet color on a 29 truck. but this is questionable????
I hope this helps to explain what we do in the judging process,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote