Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
tomcarman

Default Wa State, Nice & Legal

To some this may be a routine transaction, for me it was a new process so thought I'd share with my fellow Washingtonians. Last October I bought a '47 Chrysler for $3000. The car was in Clarkston Idaho with an Idaho title, not a quick trip. I got a bill of sale with the title. My intention was to get a "Forever" collector plate, but in Wa State there is a privision for an "Original Year, Restored" plate for more or less the same fee. I don't like the State issued plate (see attached) so I kept looking on EBay and found a cool # original '47 plate for $5. Today I registered it. Here is a breakdown of the costs, All In:

Title transfer and assiciated fees = $303.00
Ebay plate & shipping to me = $12.88
Shipping of plate to restorer = $7.88
Plate Restoration = $92.00
Collector plate registration = 103.25
Total =519.01
That breaks down to 17.3% of the price paid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200502_130925_resized.jpg (68.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20191120_183707_resized_1.jpg (66.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20200428_101506_resized.jpg (77.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 20200502_115129_resized.jpg (21.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20200502_125622_resized.jpg (25.8 KB, 120 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
5851a

Default Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

Emergency medical services? Did you faint when they gave you the total?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Emergency medical services? Did you faint when they gave you the total?
It is what it is. Not complaining, just thought I'd share the true cost of registering a collector car in this State.
As an aside, the licensing office was bogged down with 3 people occupying the 3 clerks. All 3 people had some sort of a problem with their paperwork not being in order, particularly the 1 guy trying to get title to a boat that he bought in Montana over a year ago and subsequently got a ticket for having no registration or title in navigable waters on the Columbia River. After considerable wait the rest of us with a simple transaction were complete in minutes. Moral of the story? Get your paperwork in order. Sheesh!
Old 05-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
RKS.PA

Tom, you can't put a price on "must haves"!! Looks like the collector plate restoration and WA's cost to register with it, is about 42% of the total. The big item ($303) you would have had anyway with the standard forever antique car plate.

I had one of those WA plates on my '39 when I lived there. The forever plate is a sweet deal. Here in AZ, we have to renew each year. Seems to vary based on the age of the car, but in general, it's about a hundred bucks.

The states get their money one way or the other!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Hal Beatty

There was a proposal in the legislature to make us renew the Collector Vehicle plates periodically; for a fee of course. Don't know if it became part of the code or not...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
robib

The use tax is is really a sales tax. Just like any other purchase you might make.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Beatty View Post
There was a proposal in the legislature to make us renew the Collector Vehicle plates periodically; for a fee of course. Don't know if it became part of the code or not...
That was House Bill 2373. It stalled in Committee. I expect it to return.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
TJ

California is worse. I think they will soon start charging admission to the DMV office!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Sparky79

Just think if you lived in lower New York they would charge you a commuter tax for use of the trains to get to the city. That one kills me when I register the motorcycle.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #10
tomcarman

Thumbs up Re: Wa State, Nice & Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
California is worse. I think they will soon start charging admission to the DMV office!
Good one! All States are different. Nonetheless, associated costs (license, insurance, parts and such) need to be recognized and budgeted for, especially in this hobby. I've never had any trouble with the law, (never even had a traffic ticket) and intend to keep it that way. If you wanna dance, ya gotta pay the band.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
nelsb01

Come to Minnesota -- you can have snow and cold and you can only drive the collector car 4 months out of the year.........well, not really, but someone would comment about it.

So, the title transfer and associated fees are about the same, but....collector plates or Minnesota year of manufacture plates in good condition and the number not already in use will cost you $99. Yup, $99 and then you can drive those 4 months forever. No renewal............yet.
Here are the ones that are going on my 1936 (the picture shows them before to the left and restored to the right)

By the way -- the guy in Michigan did them and they are right on and the service was fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 MN License Plates.jpg (76.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 MN License Plate restored (2).jpg (40.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by nelsb01; 05-02-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: adding second picture
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
tomcarman

[QUOTE=nelsb01;1882657]

So, the title transfer and associated fees are about the same, but....collector plates or Minnesota year of manufacture plates in good condition and the number not already in use will cost you $99. Yup, $99 and then you can drive those 4 months forever. No renewal............yet.

Nice plates! I just didn't like the State issued plates for a collector car so I found mine on my own. Like you I made my hopefully onetime investment and I'm done. The cost in MN is quite similar to WA. In Western WA we have about 3 weeks of good weather a year, and not all at once. Unless you have a submarine be prepared to get wet from rain. Ha! just kidding, it only rains 9 months out of the year.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Come to Minnesota -- you can have snow and cold and you can only drive the collector car 4 months out of the year.........well, not really, but someone would comment about it...

By the way -- the guy in Michigan did them and they are right on and the service was fast.
Bruce, Who is "the guy in Michigan"?
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
50fordcoupeman

Oregon is about the same. Cost was about $100 to register the Ford with year of manufacture plate. Take the plate number to the DMV to get it verified that the plate number is not in use. Only one is needed here. The plate is good forever. The cost of the plate is between you and the seller of course.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
It is what it is. Not complaining, just thought I'd share the true cost of registering a collector car in this State.
As an aside, the licensing office was bogged down with 3 people occupying the 3 clerks. All 3 people had some sort of a problem with their paperwork not being in order, particularly the 1 guy trying to get title to a boat that he bought in Montana over a year ago and subsequently got a ticket for having no registration or title in navigable waters on the Columbia River. After considerable wait the rest of us with a simple transaction were complete in minutes. Moral of the story? Get your paperwork in order. Sheesh!
OK, so the nagging question here is who gave him the ticket on the Columbia? Since it forms the Washington/Oregon border, he must have been closer to one side than the other.... Of course this could have occured up river a bit. BTW, love those bare aluminum one year issue 47 Wa plates. I have 3 sets in use and a pair or two for backup.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
nelsb01

Ken;

Duane Wells of Lansing MI
He places an add in the V-8 TIMES.
He has access ot all states plates and colors.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
OK, so the nagging question here is who gave him the ticket on the Columbia? Since it forms the Washington/Oregon border, he must have been closer to one side than the other.... Of course this could have occured up river a bit. BTW, love those bare aluminum one year issue 47 Wa plates. I have 3 sets in use and a pair or two for backup.
When I worked as a Park Ranger on the Colorado River, Law Enforcement Officers from either state along the river had jurisdiction regardless of where you where as long as you were in the water. Step on shore and you were under the laws of that state.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #18
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
To some this may be a routine transaction, for me it was a new process so thought I'd share with my fellow Washingtonians. Last October I bought a '47 Chrysler for $3000. The car was in Clarkston Idaho with an Idaho title, not a quick trip. I got a bill of sale with the title. My intention was to get a "Forever" collector plate, but in Wa State there is a privision for an "Original Year, Restored" plate for more or less the same fee. I don't like the State issued plate (see attached) so I kept looking on EBay and found a cool # original '47 plate for $5. Today I registered it. Here is a breakdown of the costs, All In:

Title transfer and assiciated fees = $303.00
Ebay plate & shipping to me = $12.88
Shipping of plate to restorer = $7.88
Plate Restoration = $92.00
Collector plate registration = 103.25
Total =519.01
That breaks down to 17.3% of the price paid.

For everything else their is Master Card!
Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #19
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Gary, from what I overheard him say he was on the mouth of a tributary, considered navigable waters by USCG at the Columbia. It was WA DFW. I heard him give his address as right down the road from GrandMound where the license office is. He was likely fishing for salmon and got caught. Maybe on the Cowlitz? IDK. He was trying to present his case to the license clerk who had to recite and quote about every WAC and RCW to try and help him transfer his boat title that he bought over a year ago in Montana. He lost AND wasted those of us in line time. Mind you I have had numerous dealings with that office and the people there are most helpful, but they won't bend the law. If he had taken care of his paperwork when he bought it he wouldn't have been in there in the 1st place. The other 2 people also had similar problems holding up the show for us all. To my mind all of them were trying to beat the system and in all 3 cases somehow it was the States fault. Whoey! I had my S**t together and was done in probably 3 minutes. Yes, the bare aluminum plates were unique to '47. My restored one was actually painted silver to simulate bare metal, but they accepted it.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
When I worked as a Park Ranger on the Colorado River, Law Enforcement Officers from either state along the river had jurisdiction regardless of where you where as long as you were in the water. Step on shore and you were under the laws of that state.
I'm not in Law enforcement but I know people who are. Park Rangers as well as Wildlife Rangers have full enforcement powers I'm told. Though this thread has become a bit off topic in terms of registering your vehicle, the point I originally wanted to make is get it legal. If not it can cost you dearly in the end. The law doesn't sleep.