Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Preferred Speed

With basily stock '31 Pickup, 3.78 rear end, what would your preferred crusing speeds be should you consider while on a 1,200 mile trip, time isn't important.

There's this (60th year) high-school reunion I want to crash!
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Preferred Speed

Your stock Model A should be able to cruise all day at 45-50 MPH.

When estimating how many miles you will cover in a day, I use 40 MPH (to allow for frequent comfort breaks and to be able to stop and check out interesting things along the way). So 6 hours at 40 MPH is 240 miles in a day, and in 5 days you cover 1200 miles. I have found 240 miles to be my limit when you are going to stack multiple days up in a row; others go further. You can do more if it's a one-day drive (and then you recover the next day) or if you have multiple drivers.

The pickup is kind of cramped, not the most comfortable seat. You will want to get out and move the legs pretty often. And taking the time to stop and check things out is part of the fun!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

I agree with Jim.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I prefer to run 50 MPH where the road permits .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

For comfort I found and an angled vinyl covered 1 place cushion that I sit on. Helps a lot since my bottom seat cushion angles downward towards the back of the cab, and my seat springs/cushion are marginal at best. It gives me extra cush, and raises me up in the cab further. Additionally I have a cushion for lumbar support, allows me to sit in more of an upright position instead of hunching over/toward the steering wheel.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
rfitzpatrick

The pickup is kind of cramped, not the most comfortable seat. You will want to get out and move the legs pretty often. And taking the time to stop and check things out is part of the fun![/QUOTE]

Jim
That sounds like 3 weeks on the road, in a Pickup, if all went as expected. I've studied a route, that bridge going over the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge might be one problem thinking about--it's rather steep. Getting there more important than getting back -- these reunions are once every 5 years, this very well could be my last one to try using the Pickup -- I do have flight benefits from my old Company--
Wife said absolutely would not come with me if it's the Pickup -- prefers the Boeing 747 ??
Old 06-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

If you go out for a ride what speeds do you end up driving, how well does it drive up near 60

I find my car creeping up into the low to mid 50s if traffic is moving that speed, did 65 all day on the pa turnpike and the car felt secure and comfortable, there is a bit of a hill going into Ohio, I was slowing down a lot, started to worry, then started passing cars going slower--- did get some looks of surprise
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Jim/GA

You may be looking at the bridge where I-10 goes over the Mississippi River. Go north a short distance and use the US-190 route. In fact, I'd stay off of I-10 whenever possible.

Look at the route called the Old Spanish Trail. It started in St. Augustine, FL, and went to San Diego, CA. It goes goes through Houston and San Antonio.

http://www.drivetheost.com/history.html

http://www.oldspanishtrailcentennial.com/Home.html

I like to stay on US Highways. They are safer for you to run at 45-50 MPH, and they are very scenic. Lots of cute small towns to go through. The roads were made for the Model T and Model A to run on, you won't have a problem.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
TerryH

You didn’t say if you have traveled with it much before on the Hiway, but I agree with Jim that about 250 miles/day will tire you out, especially with the limited room of a pickup. There is also little room to carry anything else inside, such as luggage. Most stock, decent running A’s seem to be comfortable 45-50 mph for cruising. Cooling system, brakes, and electrical all need to be in good shape.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
rfitzpatrick

I've not traveled on major hiways (in S. Fla), and 40 mph has been as fast as I gone in the '31. Since this event is first of June, 2020, I've plenty of time to plan/decide. When I graduated (1960) - I drove a '29 Business Coup until '62 when I joined the AirForce. The Pickup I've had for almost two years and have replaced brakes, pins, tires and installed an alternator.
The reunion is just South of Monroe(Louisiana), Jonesboro to be exact-- it just seems 50 mph is to fast for my equipment. My thoughts are, also, have it shipped to the Family Farm and drive it back on the return. That way I'm assured getting in on time. Personelly I'm not sure 50 mph is doable and it would be entire solo. Anyway, lived in NewOrleans 20 years (1966/86)-need to by-pass that place, but it would be nice to re-visit some of those speed-traps again!!

Thanks for the maps Jim.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
I've not traveled on major hiways (in S. Fla), and 40 mph has been as fast as I gone in the '31. Since this event is first of June, 2020, I've plenty of time to plan/decide. When I graduated (1960) - I drove a '29 Business Coup until '62 when I joined the AirForce. The Pickup I've had for almost two years and have replaced brakes, pins, tires and installed an alternator.
The reunion is just South of Monroe(Louisiana), Jonesboro to be exact-- it just seems 50 mph is to fast for my equipment. My thoughts are, also, have it shipped to the Family Farm and drive it back on the return. That way I'm assured getting in on time. Personelly I'm not sure 50 mph is doable and it would be entire solo. Anyway, lived in NewOrleans 20 years (1966/86)-need to by-pass that place, but it would be nice to re-visit some of those speed-traps again!!

Thanks for the maps Jim.
Some Pickups were also geared with 4.11 gears The 3.78 and 4.11 may be why you are uncomfortable trying to cruise at 50. I had same issue, changed my PU from 4.11 to 3.54, makes a difference, now will cruise at 45-50 nicely. Some will install 3.28 gears, but your motor has to be in very good shape to handle hills with that ratio.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
loubob

An overdrive unit would be perfect.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #13
daveymc29

I drove a 29 pickup from close to Sf to Portland with an overnight in Coos Bay. The return was inland and straight through, fourteen hours. Speed was usually about 60 mph with a B/W overdrive 36%, and an overhead valve head.
Going the other direction, drove to Chula Vista via Hwy 1 and back on 101. Both 14 hr. days. Wouldn't do any of the above again for a free car. But drove to Tx and back in a roadster with 26% Mitchell and driving about 250 per day was very easy on me except for an electrical problem that we didn't solve until four years later. Loose wire at the alternator. So stick with the 250 mile limits and follow the advice of adding an O/D. You will thoroughly enjoy the trip and have memories that the airport can't provide. Wife rode home with me from TX and even she talks about it favorably most times.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #14
rfitzpatrick

What's probable missing is Confidence in the Pickup -- thanks everyone
Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
ryanheacox

Maybe start taking some longer and longer trips and see if both you and the truck are up for it.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
1928Mik

Jim Cannon is correct. My car's sweet spot is 45mph.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

JMO Trailer it and enjoy the re-union ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
rfitzpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
JMO Trailer it and enjoy the re-union ! ! !
Paul in CT

That's Plan B. Already looked into that -- it's a lit expensive: $3,200
enclosed, round trip.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #19
CWPASADENA

Go for it.

45 MPH and take your time.

Just take a MARC or MAFCA roster with you in case you need a little help along the way.

A couple of years ago I did a trip of a little over 2000 miles. No problems and very enjoyable.

Just take your time.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #20
Hotrodhoschi

My A drove the best at 50 miles. I live in germany and my longest trip was 610 miles in two days at high (98) temperatures. Please do not trailer your car! The fun part is to drive it even if it hurts sometimes.
Hotrodhoschi is offline   Reply With Quote