Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Fillinjc

Default Coupe Frame not Level

Hi,
Mounted the newly rebuilt engine in my 1930 coupe last night and continuing to put it together. I have Ken Davis shocks and a Poises front spring installed. While I had the rear out I did my best to level the rear spring.

My issue: measurments up from the garage floor to the frame. At the front cross member, side to side measurement is about 1/2" high on the passenger side. At the rear cross member, side to side measurement is about 1/2" high on the drivers side. My frame is twisted? How bad is this?

I really want to get this car together, learn how to drive it, break in the engine and enjoy it for the summer before thinking about tearing it apart for next step. Bodywork and paint.

Thanks,
Jerry
Fillinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Coupe Frame not Level

The spring u-bolts can be adjusted. The lower side needs to be loosened, the higher side needs to be tightened. Make sure you wiggle the frame by jumping up and down on the frame!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
txkhog

I would not measure to the floor. I would measure to the axel with the other axel supported in the center. This will make sure the springs are mounted symmetric cross wise.

Then measure to the floor to see if your frame is twisted and how much
txkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
The spring u-bolts can be adjusted. The lower side needs to be loosened, the higher side needs to be tightened. Make sure you wiggle the frame by jumping up and down on the frame!
I find that the frame tilt shows who got out of the car last. It tilts towards the side that was last loaded. I can correct it by bouncing on the high side. I think my problem is caused by corrosion between the spring leaves and will treat them to some lube soon.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
100IH

And don't measure at the bumpers, That's a very visual place to notice the side to side lean but it is altogether a secondary issue, front frame horns and bumper brackets get bent. I like the idea in post #3. Do the leveling adjustments and know that the springs frequently have issues too.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Food for thought. If there is evidence that your car was in an accident which bent the frame a slight amount, the accident likely also distorted the body. If you straighten the frame, expect to go through some agony getting the body alignment right for a good fit of the doors, hood, radiator and bumpers.

Sometimes a slight amount of frame distortion should be left alone!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Just one (1) opinion from past experiences:

FWIW: For reference points for accurate measurements:

A. Did you check the elevations of your garage floor slab with a long straight edge and level to see if the concrete slab is "dead" level everywhere?

B. Next time one sees a new residential concrete slab just completed, drive up to it in total darkness and shine headlights across this slab ...... it will look like un-level sea water and/or rolling hills; and/or,

C. Visit any new concrete slab after a rain to witness all of the remarkable concrete bird baths holding water; and/or,

D. Get on the flat roof of a 20 year old building with a transit and shoot elevations of the four corners to witness how much the roof has settled at building corners, (along with the exterior walls), and quite naturally, "with" the floor slab, which is no longer level.

E. Just something one may want to verify also when aligning Model A front ends on a garage floor slab and measuring the 6" alignment tool chain height fore and aft; checking camber on L & R front wheels with a level held vertically; and/or adjusting headlights on a "supposedly" level surface; or,

F. The Captioned Title Issue: "Measurements up from the garage floor to the frame."

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-16-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Fillinjc

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry
Fillinjc is offline   Reply With Quote