Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Ritzy1

Default Engine diaper

Saw an article in The V8 Times about someone who was making engine diapers, so I thought I'd give it a try. I cut out a square from an old double layer tarp big enough to hold a couple of layers of absorbent pads. My wife was kind enough to sew in some magnets, and it fit perfectly! Hopefully that will absorb the drips from that cotter pin in the pan below the flywheel. Even though everything in the motor is fresh, it still leaks and I'd rather not have to keep a drip pan under the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200328_142602.jpg (39.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20200328_142842.jpg (41.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20200328_142935.jpg (35.7 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by Ritzy1; 03-29-2020 at 05:07 AM.
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Engine diaper

Does that stay attached to your car while driving it or is it installed each time after you park your car in the garage?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
FortyNiner

I just buy oversize walk-off floor mats for under the old iron. A couple of drips get lost in the pattern.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Does that stay attached to your car while driving it or is it installed each time after you park your car in the garage?

I'd have to ask the same question as 19Fordy....do you remove this before driving? If not, I can imagine SOME awful circumstance causing the magnets to release somehow, possibly resulting with that thing being drawn or tugged or sucked into the rotating fan and belts. I can vividly imagine THAT not being too good of a situation. Is that a T5 I see peeking out in that last picture? If so, any details on the install? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

It's such a nice diaper. Probably nice strong rare earth magnets holding it in place too. And so neatly arranged. Seems like such a hassle removing a nice oily diaper every time to drive the car. I'd probably leave it on and take my chances. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Ritzy1

Just did it today, but my intention is to try leaving it on there even when I drive it. It's stuck to the pan pretty tightly, so hopefully it won't become dislodged while being driven. My only concern is wind getting under it somehow, but we'll see. Taking it off and reinstalling it would be more effort than just leaving the drip pan on the driveway.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Believe the diaper started with this thread in 2016 and continued for several more threads.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=diaper

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 03-28-2020 at 08:49 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
Ritzy1

Don't see how it could possibly get sucked into the (electric) fan and/or belts, wind at highway speed is its perceived enemy, if there is one. Yes, it's got a T-5. Full build thread on the HAMB (Tale of two cities).
Old 03-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzy1 View Post
Just did it today, but my intention is to try leaving it on there even when I drive it. It's stuck to the pan pretty tightly, so hopefully it won't become dislodged while being driven. My only concern is wind getting under it somehow, but we'll see. Taking it off and reinstalling it would be more effort than just leaving the drip pan on the driveway.

OK, I'll buy that! But...is that a T5 transmission, or maybe even a Muncie 4-speed that I see in this picture? If so, please give us a little more info on it. That would interest ME a lot more than the diaper. BUT I STILL LIKE YOUR DIAPER!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
GB SISSON

They make some really big zip ties these days. Thinking two would hold it along with the magnets. Few things are worse than sliding under the car to check on something and contacting that greasy puddle with the back of your head. Or even your good jacket.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 AM   #11
Ritzy1

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;1867282]OK, I'll buy that! But...is that a T5 transmission, or maybe even a Muncie 4-speed that I see in this picture? If so, please give us a little more info on it. That would interest ME a lot more than the diaper. BUT I STILL LIKE YOUR DIAPER!! DD

Thanks. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've got a complete build thread on the HAMB: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...build.1021019/. You'll find the T-5 install info on there (pgs. 1 and 4).
Old 03-29-2020, 06:37 AM   #12
dwick01

Your post on the HAMB was awesome! Lots of good pictures & information.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #13
Charlie ny
BANNED

A super quality build........all the more impressive since the body and frame never parted

company. I love my stone and gravel driveway out here in the sticks, the drips just disappear.
Charlie
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
whizzernick

I am the person who makes the diaper for fords ( see ) my posts.
I have made around 100 so far no complaints . I also make one for the rearend ( they sometimes leak ) My price is $ 50 includes shipping. I also make it long so as it goes under and to the back of transmission. MY DIAPERS DO NOT BLOW OFF

I KNOW ( from the post now and when I brought it up last time ) most of you prefer to leave the mess--- use cardboard--- like you ford as henry built it --
or just ignore the fact that our fords were designed to leak.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
34fordy

The issue of dripping oil on my friends driveway plus having a pan on my shop floor needed a remedy. I cut and bent a metal sheet to fit onto the rear portion of the wishbone. I bought 15"x30" 3M pads at Arnold Motors, folded them to 15x10 and snipped the corners to match the pan's narrower rear. I use the large clips to hold in place but doubt they are necessary. I can reach under without raising the car and replace the pad. I probably change sometime around 500 miles but feel I could go longer as the absorption capacity is evidently large. I have not had a drip yet. Last year was the first full year of use and I am very satisfied with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.0 KB, 98 views)
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #16
RKS.PA

Dave, know this is not about the "diaper", but do you think redoing the rear mail seal and rear cork pan gasket might solve the leak?

You can remove the pan...easier on your brother's lift....with the engine in the car. Maybe cut the lower half of a new 3/8" rope seal 1/8" proud with a dollop or black RTV on each edge and re-install? Guessing you used the one piece neoprene seal in the front?

Did this on the 59 AB in my '39 after not doing this at the time I rebuilt the engine. It never leaked after. Just did this on my '47 and am praying it stays dry....good so far, but haven't run it enough yet!! And, yes I know these engines all leaked, even from the factory!! So, if my last attempt fails, I'm prepared to live with it!!

Really enjoyed following along with your HAMB postings....beautiful work and photo documentary!!

Best of luck....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
Ritzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
Your post on the HAMB was awesome! Lots of good pictures & information.
Thank you! Once I was able to drive it, I kind of put off doing all the little stuff I still had on the list, I was having too much fun hitting every show I could get to. As you may have seen on my build thread, I'm in the midst of rebuilding all of the door hardware, seals and installing new glass. I'll post the step-by-step process once I'm done.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
Ritzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
A super quality build........all the more impressive since the body and frame never parted

company. I love my stone and gravel driveway out here in the sticks, the drips just disappear.
Charlie
You're so kind to say that. Thank you. Look forward to getting down your way at some point to have you check my tune-up.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #19
Ritzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
I am the person who makes the diaper for fords ( see ) my posts.
I have made around 100 so far no complaints . I also make one for the rearend ( they sometimes leak ) My price is $ 50 includes shipping. I also make it long so as it goes under and to the back of transmission. MY DIAPERS DO NOT BLOW OFF

I KNOW ( from the post now and when I brought it up last time ) most of you prefer to leave the mess--- use cardboard--- like you ford as henry built it --
or just ignore the fact that our fords were designed to leak.
I did steal your idea. I'm sure mine is nowhere as nice as yours though.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #20
Ritzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Dave, know this is not about the "diaper", but do you think redoing the rear mail seal and rear cork pan gasket might solve the leak?

You can remove the pan...easier on your brother's lift....with the engine in the car. Maybe cut the lower half of a new 3/8" rope seal 1/8" proud with a dollop or black RTV on each edge and re-install? Guessing you used the one piece neoprene seal in the front?

Did this on the 59 AB in my '39 after not doing this at the time I rebuilt the engine. It never leaked after. Just did this on my '47 and am praying it stays dry....good so far, but haven't run it enough yet!! And, yes I know these engines all leaked, even from the factory!! So, if my last attempt fails, I'm prepared to live with it!!

Really enjoyed following along with your HAMB postings....beautiful work and photo documentary!!

Best of luck....Dick.
This thing only has about 2,000 miles on it. I did my best to seal it up as best I could using all of the advice I could glean from various experts. I'm guessing it's that knife edge on the pan that goes up against that cork gasket in the rear main. It was really hard to keep it in place when I was putting the pan on, even with RTV.