Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Michael_e

Default Front Fenders

First, I hope everyone can play real nice when I ask...What are the major differences between 1928/29 and 1930/31 front fenders?
Back story is I got most of the pieces of a 1928 pickup cab and it sure needs a lot of love and a complete drivers door. I found a good passenger door and now have stumbled across a pile of 30/31 front fenders. Was hoping to use these fenders while I continue the search for the right fenders. I just want a reasonably nice "Model A Pickup" to drive around.

Mike
Michael_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: Front Fenders

They have entirely different shapes. The 28/29 fenders are more rounded and the 30/31 has more sloped rear profile. They are 2 different animals.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
J Franklin

The differences are many and majorly cosmetic. Your best bet would be to trade for the ones you need.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Michael_e

This was what I was suspecting. The search will continue. Thanks,
Mike
Michael_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Take a look at vendors web sites. They often have drawings and or photos of the fender's that will reveal the differences.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

1928 and 1929 front fenders are the same in fit, form and function.

1930 fenders are unique because they have a piece of the running apron. So the 1930 running board aprons are unique also.

1931 front fenders are unique although they have a similar form to the 1930 fenders, but do not have a piece of the running board apron. So the 1931 running board apron is unique also.

1930 and 1931 fenders can be interchanged providing the running board aprons are included.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
Joe K

Dare I suggest fiberglass fenders as a replacement?

For a driver they have a lot of advantages. You get in an accident (fender bender) and you've not trashed a fender never to return. Better quality fenders are durable (cheap fiberglass can crack at the fender braces) and if you knock on them with your knuckles its almost difficult to tell the sound from the real thing.

Better quality fenders have the bolt holes "marked" with an oval - while not drilled (one could drill outside the oval if necessary to put time-worn parts against new) the holes can be drilled "singlular" rather than oval leaving little room for adjustment or messing around with the escutcheon bead.

Of course most undersides are "mesh" - the better quality fenders are minimal mesh and when painted tend to disappear.

For the AA truck I bought Westcott fenders as probably the best then available. Of course for the same price I could have bought "good used" and put a couple hundred into restoration.

AND - perhaps this is the ultimate sell point. MANY restorers go first with fiberglass - and then as wallet/time/interest/detailing allows, upgrade to steel. Hence one can find USED fiberglass fenders on Ebay or other places from those who upgraded.

The Westcott Fenders were for the AA front. A pair of pickup/coupe REARS showed up on Ebay which I bought for $80 plus shipping. So I have a full set of fenders in fiberglass waiting for Model A project No. 2.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote