Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Forever In Stone

Default Mallory Distributor Questions?

Mallory Distributor?
City: Vestal
State: New York

I've just changed my points distributor to a Mallory uni-lite pointless ignition. The only way I could get it to fire was to turn the distributor 180 degrees.
Which makes the crap cap upside down. Meaning the the coil wire is on the bottom at the crank pulley. Is this the correct install? Your thoughts are welcome, Alan
Forever In Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Mallory Distributor Questions?

Does the uni-lite have a vacuum canester? or is it just nachanical advance.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
BillM

That's surely not correct. I'm not familiar with that distributor but I would take it off and look to see if something is off 180 degrees inside.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
uncle max

Nine out of ten Chinese hotrodders can't be wrong.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

About 7-8 yr's ago I built a hot flathead for a guy that built a real nice 50's stlye street rod, Model a coupe, chopped channeld, ect. Anyways, he had it all ready to start and wanted me to be there, so I went and oil presured it and told him to hit the starter, it went pop pop up the carb, I said wooo, you've got the plug wires crossed. I checked them and thay were all right. I puffed it up on compression on no. one and checked the rotor on the mallory, it was pointing to no. 6 I said well it's almost impossable to put the crab on wrong without breaking it. I removed the dist and it was in the slot right. I said well, this dist is put together 180* off, so I said we cain't hurt a rotton apple so I removed the electronic plate, ( cain't remember exactaly how it's made but I think unhooked the springs and pull the cam up and turned it 180* and put it back together. Put the dist back on and she fired and run like a top. I told him to call Patrick where he bought it and tell him the story. To my surprise Patrick told him that factory had put 5 dist out that way and they had got 3 back and this was the 4th one and there was still one out there someplace. Your's may be that 5th. one. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Forever In Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
About 7-8 yr's ago I built a hot flathead for a guy that built a real nice 50's stlye street rod, Model a coupe, chopped channeld, ect. Anyways, he had it all ready to start and wanted me to be there, so I went and oil presured it and told him to hit the starter, it went pop pop up the carb, I said wooo, you've got the plug wires crossed. I checked them and thay were all right. I puffed it up on compression on no. one and checked the rotor on the mallory, it was pointing to no. 6 I said well it's almost impossable to put the crab on wrong without breaking it. I removed the dist and it was in the slot right. I said well, this dist is put together 180* off, so I said we cain't hurt a rotton apple so I removed the electronic plate, ( cain't remember exactaly how it's made but I think unhooked the springs and pull the cam up and turned it 180* and put it back together. Put the dist back on and she fired and run like a top. I told him to call Patrick where he bought it and tell him the story. To my surprise Patrick told him that factory had put 5 dist out that way and they had got 3 back and this was the 4th one and there was still one out there someplace. Your's may be that 5th. one. Walt
Walt,
I think you are very right! It's been driving me nuts, never thinking that Mallory could have screwed up. I'll contact Mallory first thing Monday morning. Thanks you guys for your help, Alan
Forever In Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
fomocoloco

Patrick sold me a crap Mallory dist. for my chevy 6.
He told me the same lie. The Mallory ate the gear on the camshaft. He replaced the cam and bought the crap dist. back to sell to to someone else.
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote