Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Anyone placed automatic in Model A?

Looks like this uses Chevy transmissions.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
you have to get an earlier A4LD as the later ones are fully ecm controlled... are guys wiring a toggle switch for the converter lockup? or not usiing it ? and if so what are they doing on a 6v system? the early 904's had a mechanical converter lock up...
John LaVoy would be the best person to ask since he just did one.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
John LaVoy would be the best person to ask since he just did one.
hopefully he will chime in thanks
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #24
Dodge

Also google Wilcap in So. Cal., they can make you an adapter plate for almost anything.
We put a Chevy overdrive transmission behind a Dodge flathead 6 cylinder.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #25
dale mccall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ask Jim Brierely, he knows a guy that shows up at hill climbs with
an auto trans in a model A and as I recall that guy makes a kit.
Yes, that "guy" is Art Moore.
dale mccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale mccall View Post
Yes, Art Moore, he told me that he used the early Chrysler (904(?) with his HOT engines. Not the only one.

BTW...sounds like good reasoning to maybe consider 'more modern' automatic alternatives now available , thanks to Bendtsens work dedicated to making appropriate adaptors for most anything to anything (thanks Bob)! Whereas, talented 'old timers' made stuff for themselves.

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-01-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: ....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #27
Cool Hand Lurker

OK, this is way off topic but it is Ford. I need a useable Ford Pinto 1.6 engine. Anybody have one?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
OK, this is way off topic but it is Ford. I need a useable Ford Pinto 1.6 engine. Anybody have one?
What I'm wondering is: Are there any useable Ford Pintos around? Never mind the engine!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
JohnLaVoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
John,
How much frame modification did you have to do to shoehorn the A4LD into your rig? And what gear ratio did you use in the rear end?
I added two cross members, one in front to handle the A frame, one to the rear of the transmission where it has a mounting pad. The center cross member had to have some slight cutting to allow clearance but not too much. I used a 354 rear end in it. Runs along nice the trans keeps it between 1800 and 2000 rpm quite well.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #30
bgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
What I'm wondering is: Are there any useable Ford Pintos around? Never mind the engine!
There is a very nice station wagon here
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
I added two cross members, one in front to handle the A frame, one to the rear of the transmission where it has a mounting pad. The center cross member had to have some slight cutting to allow clearance but not too much. I used a 354 rear end in it. Runs along nice the trans keeps it between 1800 and 2000 rpm quite well.
John do you use the lockup????
Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #32
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale mccall View Post
No, I know Art, it is someone else that has a transmission shop and has a kit.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #33
JohnLaVoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
you have to get an earlier A4LD as the later ones are fully ecm controlled... are guys wiring a toggle switch for the converter lockup? or not usiing it ? and if so what are they doing on a 6v system? the early 904's had a mechanical converter lock up...
I put a pressure switch for the lock up.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #34
zzlegend

Quote:
No, I know Art, it is someone else that has a transmission shop and has a kit.
Hey Pete. Just curious, would it be a guy named Saul? Talked to this guy a couple of times at a old car get together. Nice guy with a fast A coupe with a 904. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
I put a pressure switch for the lock up.
thanks John,
do you have a link to what you used ???

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-02-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Hey Pete. Just curious, would it be a guy named Saul? Talked to this guy a couple of times at a old car get together. Nice guy with a fast A coupe with a 904. Mark.
That could be it. It might have been Raul though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #37
zzlegend

Quote:
That could be it. It might have been Raul though.
Thanks Pete. You probably have the spelling correct. Talked to him a few times but me trying to remember names,,,,,,,,,,,ya right. A very knowledgeable guy about "B" motors and automatics.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #38
Clem Clement

There was a Model A at Carlisle yesterday with an automatic tranny.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #39
wright

I am currently putting a 904 behind my A equipped with a Charlie Yapp Riley two port head all rebuilt by Rich at Antiqueenginerebuilding so far so good. This is the transmission that Art Moore uses in his car. The man who makes the adapter is Raul,he lives in California. I did not by the adapter straight from him but did a lot of research and found his contact information. I had a few questions and he was very helpfull. If anyone needs his contact info send me a private message and I will get it for you I have it at home somewhere.

If you choose to go this route you will have to use an open drive line. In using the open drive line you will need to somehow support the rear end from the twisting forces put on it during take off and stopping. These forces normally would be handled by the torque tube. I chose to use a ladder bar set up. I have a full fendered truck and you really do not see it unless you climb under. I know many choose to use 1936 rear wishbone arms. Whatever you do Do Not use the original Model A Arms they will not hold up.

If you choose to use this 904 trans setup you will also need to fabricate at least 1 crossmember for the rear of the transmission. When I made my crossmember I also made it so that the front of my ladder bars tied into the crossmember.

You will also need to do something with the front wishbone. I also chose to make a crossmember for the front of the transmission. I did this because the 904 adapter bolts directly to the rear of the motor eliminating the original flywheel cover or bellhousing that origionaly becomes the rear motor mounts. I did not feel comfortable with the engine and transmission being only supported by the front engine mount and the transmission mount that is one bolt near the yolk. I incorperated in this front transmission crossmember a place to mount the ball of my original unsplit front wishbone.

You will also need to use hydraulic brakes. I am using a pedal assembly master cylinder combo from speedway.

My truck is currently not on the road but it is not all that far away. The engine and trans are mounted. I have fired up the engine everything seems fine. I need to have a driveshaft made and I will be very close to a test drive.
wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #40
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright View Post
I am currently putting a 904 behind my A equipped with a Charlie Yapp Riley two port head all rebuilt by Rich at Antiqueenginerebuilding so far so good. This is the transmission that Art Moore uses in his car. The man who makes the adapter is Raul,he lives in California. I did not by the adapter straight from him but did a lot of research and found his contact information. I had a few questions and he was very helpfull. If anyone needs his contact info send me a private message and I will get it for you I have it at home somewhere.

If you choose to go this route you will have to use an open drive line. In using the open drive line you will need to somehow support the rear end from the twisting forces put on it during take off and stopping. These forces normally would be handled by the torque tube. I chose to use a ladder bar set up. I have a full fendered truck and you really do not see it unless you climb under. I know many choose to use 1936 rear wishbone arms. Whatever you do Do Not use the original Model A Arms they will not hold up.

If you choose to use this 904 trans setup you will also need to fabricate at least 1 crossmember for the rear of the transmission. When I made my crossmember I also made it so that the front of my ladder bars tied into the crossmember.

You will also need to do something with the front wishbone. I also chose to make a crossmember for the front of the transmission. I did this because the 904 adapter bolts directly to the rear of the motor eliminating the original flywheel cover or bellhousing that origionaly becomes the rear motor mounts. I did not feel comfortable with the engine and transmission being only supported by the front engine mount and the transmission mount that is one bolt near the yolk. I incorperated in this front transmission crossmember a place to mount the ball of my original unsplit front wishbone.

You will also need to use hydraulic brakes. I am using a pedal assembly master cylinder combo from speedway.

My truck is currently not on the road but it is not all that far away. The engine and trans are mounted. I have fired up the engine everything seems fine. I need to have a driveshaft made and I will be very close to a test drive.
Thanks for this info. I double checked my address book and yes it is Raul, not Saul. Talked to him for a lengthy time about his dual carb overhead set up. I also got his contact info from him. He told me to pay a visit if I decide to go this route. Nice guy and likes to share info.