Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Farmer j

Default Top irons cabriolet

I'm looking for a drawing or picture of the latching mechanism that is in the middle of the top irons on a folding top for a cabriolet or roadster. Mine has a 1/4 inch oblong slot that is supposed to have something inside to keep the irons straight when the top is up. I have nothing there and the irons bend down at the hinge in the middle of the door opening. Any help here would be appreciated!
Farmer j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
LopezCarguy

Default Re: Top irons cabriolet

I am no expert, but my cabriolet Landau irons must be similar, where they fold in middle the hinge is covered by round knob/medallions... one in front and one in back, they are pressed together with a small tight fitting rod that goes back to front...they make repo ones but you then have to have them chromed....and they are not cheap.. good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Farmer j

I'm not talking about the Landeau irons on the outside of the top. I think I have them figured out. The top irons that stretch under the top from the front to behind the top of the seat are what I need help on. There is some sort of latch where they bend in the middle when you put the top down. I need a picture of that latch. Thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Bob Johnson

There are 2 different types. The early Cabriolets had a lever lock and the latter ones had a button lock. What year is you Cabriolet?

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

I am assuming you have the later thumb type. There is the chance you have a lever type which I do not know about.

I will get pictures later. There is a thumb catch that has a screw and a special washer that goes though the oval hole. There is a spring and a 'plunger' that keep pressure on the catch so that it will pop into the notch inside the top iron when fully extended.

A quick example of operation. Put a round shanked screw driver in the oval hole and keep pressure towards the hinge rivet while you extend the iron. You will feel it pop into the notch and lock the iron extended.

You will find access to the insert the spring and plunger when the iron is folded back. Look in and you will see the slot where the 2 pieces fit.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Farmer j

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Keven, that is exactly what I have, except I don't have any of the pieces. I need to know what the screw, nut and plunger look like. Any pics would be very helpful.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Tom W

I had the same issue, and I could not find a replacement for the sliding mechanism, so I just used a shortened bolt and nut (no lockwasher - just use lock-tite). Did not need a spring -- when you elevate the top from its folded position, and vertically straighten out the irons (before moving the top forward towards the windshield), the bolts drop into place by gravity. They stay there without any additional help, and do not work loose once the top is up. When you take the top down, just do the reverse and push the nut & bolt upward to disengage the locking mechanism.

Tom Weaver
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

The picture shows my attempt at making my own part on my lathe and a mill I have access to use. I did a copy of an original I owned.

The brass T shaped pieces hold the springs and the T part pushes against the button.

email me at [email protected] for some additional info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0025.JPG (29.5 KB, 62 views)
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
portside

I understand that some restorers used the coil spring out of a ball point pen or something similar. Larry Machack from the Cabriolet Club does have some of the parts shown.
portside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
jw hash

a few years back Mike Petrosino from Nantucket had some real nice sets of the latches made up and plated correctly, he also found a place to get the correct springs. the ones out of a ball point pens will work BUT they are to weak.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
scott62

I have an early 1930 Cabriolet. It has the "lock & lever" system and not the "slide or button" system of the later 30 or 31. There are parts available for the late 30 / 31. I received a set of drawings and photos for each component of the 30 hinge mechanism and an article written describing the two different systems from the President of the Cabriolet Club of America (Larry Machacek) in TX. I have searched all over the country for an early 30 68B OE1' Top Iron Set or Mechanisms but have had no luck. A Friend of mine that is a professional Machinist here in Sacramento (also a vintage car guy), is willing to machine sets if I can find more that need them. He is not interested in making one set due to cost. Not sure the cost yet but, I am going to talk to him soon again about them. You can reach me at : [email protected] if you are interested. I can copy these drawings and photos if you want. Scott (916) 664-2344
scott62 is offline   Reply With Quote