Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
35ragtop

Default 38/39 pickup seats

Hi Fellas
can anyone tell me how the seat back on a 38-39 pickup(U.S. built), attaches to the cab please. There is no hardware with my seats. The base looks like it simply locates over 2 protruding lugs like a lot of Ford seats.
Any ideas appreciated thanks,
Dave h
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
fordscript

Default Re: 38/39 pickup seats

The seat base and seat back are joined by 2 hinges at the bottom, and the seat back is held in place by 2 protruding stamped steel 'rods' that run the full height of the seat back, and these locate into 'slots' underneath the lower rear window framing.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
39portlander

Dave, if you search the old threads I had posted my seat assembly this past spring that may have some good pictures to help.

Yes the wood seat base just sets on that frame and is adjustable for/aft resting over the seat frames protruding dimples. Front wood seat base sets over the dimple on any of the three optional holes @ the driver/passenger front corners.

The backrest just leans on the mid section of the cab. Mine was very thin and knowing the center of the backrest leaned against it, I had added some support there. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
GB SISSON

I have seen the metal straps leaned against the back of the cab. You pretty much have to know that the two holes are there under the back window because they are not too visible. Also there should be a light piece of steel with 3 holes on each side of the seat bottom. These reinforce the 3 holes per side through the plywood seat base.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
35ragtop

Thank you guys,
I now have some ideas to work on. I could not find your post Scott, but I get the idea.
Dave h
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote