Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck
Default Across the Sierra's

Took a ride in my 1931 Std Coupe today from Rancho Haven Nevada to Downieville Calif. Coupe ran great for the 170 miles. Saw antelope at the border, deer crossing the Sierra Valley and No Snow at the summit. Wish the Model A had a bigger gas tank.
Dan
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Across the Sierra's

Dan, that trip sounds amazing. You need to keep a travel log with photos like Old Henry does on the V8 page. Do a search of Old Henry and his tours in his 1947 fordor sedan on the V8 page. His photos are stunning. It's worth the time.

PS he lives in Utah so his trips cover the western states
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
al's28/33

WOW you took old HWY 50 ? US 80 ? Very brave indeed! post some pics if you have them.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Goldhardt

That sounds beautiful! My motor is currently out of my A and sitting in a machine shop in Cincinnati. To help me keep my sanity, my buddy showed up the other evening with his A and we took a cruise around the back roads of central Ohio. We came across a couple deer crossing the road at sunset. I wish I would have gotten a picture of them out of the front windshield of his A. I did get my "fix", so I'm good for another week! Post some pictures if you got any!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sounds like a glorious trip. I know A owners that won't drive 17 miles never mind 170.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Synchro909

PM sent.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Sounds like a glorious trip. I know A owners that won't drive 17 miles never mind 170.
Our club encourages us to "drive our As". Each summer we have one trip that is roughly 500 miles round trip, 2 others that are around 300 miles each round trip, and then there's the biggie that is 1,000+ miles round trip. We actually have quite a few that participate in all of these "outings."
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
P.S.

It's interesting how so many Model A owners seem afraid to drive them any kind of distance. I suspect they may have Model As that are not in good repair or were restored poorly or "cosmetic restorations" and do not trust the Model A will make the trip without incident.

When I think about the miles I put on the Tudor without trouble, what's the difference between putting on 2,500 miles spread out over dozens of small trips per year or a few long ones? It's still the same miles, same number of motor revolutions, same number of fuel fillups. Fewer times using the starter also.

Maybe they just do not feel safe or comfortable in a Model A vs. a modern car that is akin to traveling while surrounded by "on demand" bubble-wrap.

Ultimately, perhaps it comes down to Model A owners (generalizing as a group) are getting a lot older and don't want to (or are unable to) maintain their Model A properly, and lacking sufficient shops where one could drop off their Model A and have it serviced for money, that excludes them from safe long-distance travel.

That trip over highway 88 into NV is a lot of fun. A little intimidating in a bone-stock Model A.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

I'm 34 years old and have had my Model A for 16 years. I restored it with some help from local early Ford enthusiasts. I think that young folks, say 16-30 years old, lack the skill set required to own, operate and service 1909-1953 fords. Heck, I have folks that are 50 years old ask me questions about auto mechanics. I'm not a trained mechanic. I work an administration job at a small business. I can imagine that some early ford owners are interested in these automobiles obviously, but lack the confidence in their abilities to make quick repairs while out on the road, far away from their home. It is a learning curve. Also, there is too much competition for young folks attention from the internet and all the electronic gadgets and sports. Throw in the fact that it takes a fair amount of money to purchase, operate and restore these early ford vehicles. Back in 1998 I was the only kid in my small town of 3,500 who was buying Model A's. I don't regret it for a minute or dollar I spent.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
al's28/33

It's not that I am weary of driving my "A" fearing a breakdown.......I'm just plain scared of all the other drivers who don't pay attention to the road and I see a lot of drivers still texting and chatting away clueless on their cell phones....I even see people with their iPad up against the steering wheel. Then I get scared that they're gonna hit me and all the money I invested into my car will be gone with the wind!!....and I'm 45 years old had my car for 14 years.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
It's not that I am weary of driving my "A" fearing a breakdown.......I'm just plain scared of all the other drivers who don't pay attention to the road and I see a lot of drivers still texting and chatting away clueless on their cell phones....I even see people with their iPad up against the steering wheel. Then I get scared that they're gonna hit me and all the money I invested into my car will be gone with the wind!!....and I'm 45 years old had my car for 14 years.
Al, I know what you mean. The way people drive is scary! No matter what the law says they still text and talk while they drive. Do you have a 1933 ford as well as a 28? I'm really into the early V8 cars also.

Never mind, I just read the fine print on your avatar. 1933 pickup. Very nice.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #12
Chris Haynes

Hwy 88 is a great drive. 395 to Hwy 99.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
...The way people drive is scary! No matter what the law says they still text and talk while they drive...
Very often when on tour and we encounter someone who who holds "us" in disdane and just must get around us at any cost. This usually occurs about half a mile before a posted passing or truck lane. An then only to pull up next to them at the first stop light in the next town.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Very often when on tour and we encounter someone who who holds "us" in disdane and just must get around us at any cost. This usually occurs about half a mile before a posted passing or truck lane. An then only to pull up next to them at the first stop light in the next town.
I live in Florida, I get that in my modern car!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 AM   #15
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Hwy 88 is a great drive. 395 to Hwy 99.
Ah, I presume you have done it?

The Sagebrush Model A group is planning a trip over the summit and back in May. Was thinking about joining them for half of their trip. Why don't you join them also? They will be staying in Sonora on the 13th, I think it is. You and I are only about 50 minutes apart, by Model A travel times.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
marc hildebrant

Bad drivers are sadly everywhere.

I learned my driving skills on 128 in Massachusetts and the VFW & Jamaica Plain Parkways in Boston. After a number of years of being an "aggressive" Boston Driver, I settled down to being reasonable now in my driving habits.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #17
pat in Santa Cruz

the prettiest drive over the Sierras is hwy 120. It runs up steep from the East, through tuolomne meadows and down into the Yosemite Valley. The traffic is going slow due to the park regs and the grandeur even slows down the moderns. Sure is pretty in the spring with all the flowers. We did it in 2013 coming back from Kanab, Utah.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote