Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
jcheshire31

Default Towing Capacity

What would the towing capacity be for a Model A Ford with a stock drivetrain but with some engine upgades? High comp head, B cam, B crank, B rods with 283 pistons, etc. I've searched on this subject but could only find threads about "towing your Model A" not "towing WITH your Model A." I've been looking at small trailers because I plan on doing some long distance touring this upcoming year, and later on I'd like to get a "teardrop" camper for very long distance touring. I would be pulling it with a 31 S/W. Any suggestions on what I should do to the car to prepare it for towing?
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Logan

Default Re: Towing Capacity

I tow a single wheel trailer thats about 5 foot long, and 3 foot wide, and 1 1/2 foot tall sides on it. you cant tell any difference power wise with it loaded down, but it'll get hot running down the highway in the summer.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Hugh towed a small trailer coast to coast a few years ago with no problems. I'd guess the loaded trailer was 600 lbs, but I also see no problem towing 1000 lbs, other than up steep hills.

BTW, where has Hugh been? He used to post.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheshire31 View Post
What would the towing capacity be for a Model A Ford with a stock drivetrain but with some engine upgades? High comp head, B cam, B crank, B rods with 283 pistons, etc. I've searched on this subject but could only find threads about "towing your Model A" not "towing WITH your Model A." I've been looking at small trailers because I plan on doing some long distance touring this upcoming year, and later on I'd like to get a "teardrop" camper for very long distance touring. I would be pulling it with a 31 S/W. Any suggestions on what I should do to the car to prepare it for towing?
I don't know if this will help, but here is an older posting that you might want to look at on trailers and towing. Mark.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...amping+trailer
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Jim Brierley

I tow a Mullins loaded with swap-meet stuff, it tows easily. I delivered an empty tandem axle car hauler to a friend and it wanted to push the tudor around, so I recommend a single axle trailer only.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Lawrie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In tow a teardrop trailer with my 28n opencab pickup, motor is 060 over, stock head and a 330 lift cam ,97 carb,
this tows pretty good.last big trip 7000klms ,got up to 22 mpg on the long flat roads over NSW here in Australia, my friend has a tourer and tows a camper trailer ,we have done lots of big trips with them one was over to Perth and back,13500klms.
Trailer weight on my teardrop is 350 kgs loaded,his camper was 450 kgs and the other A woodie towed a replica 1920 wooden caravan,it was 550 kgs,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote