Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Can someone explain this to me please

Two times this week I have answered an ad in the For Sale section about a part I wanted. Two different sellers. Told the seller I would take it. The seller both times said give me your zip and I will check and see how much shipping is for you. I say great, thanks. A couple days go by, I don't hear anything so I pm him/her to ask what the shipping is and both times, I got back this response. Sorry, I sold it. WTF! Since I responded first, and said I will take it, doesn't that mean it is mine pending payment?? I don't get what is going on.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me please

If I had to guess, I would bet that someone local bought it and they didn't want to take the time to mail it...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Craig Lewis

I know this sucks, but there's another way to look at it.
How do you know YOU responded first?
Where is the rules stating he has to sell it to the first inquiry?
It's a BIG world and realistically he might have got 87 emails and picked the easiest looking transaction.
Personally I agree you deserve the courtesy of a reply at least and that's how I treat customers. Unfortunately many sellers are far too busy with more important issues(to them)...or simply don't care.
I prefer swap meets as my #1 parts source...a distant 2nd would be ebay. At least with ebay you can read numerous accounts by previous buyers and the better the score the less likely they are going to mess you around.
I try and look at every angle before bidding and out of 112 ebay transactions have had only 1 scam(worn out parts)
...Besides, the 4 NOS Model A rad hoses listed as "Model T bushings" MORE than made up for the 1 scam.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
28RPU

I had a guy get mad at me once when I sold something on the Hamb.He thought that he was the first guy to contact me when in fact,he was the third one.Some of these guys stay online all the time and are quick to pounce. Only the seller can tell you why he didn't let you have it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
56 hotrodder

sa a sometimes buyer/sometimes seller, it works both ways. They call and say they want it and then you bug them for their info and .......then they don't want it. It's tough to get personal on the internet,but it saves a LOT of gas. I do miss the face to face but it 's economical to do bussiness from afar, most of the time. my 2 cents
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Grapejuice

If they're that flaky, you simply dodged a bullet.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Peter J

It takes all kinds. I recently puchased an item from a fellow FB guy. No problems. Nice guy.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Brentwood Bob

Sometimes a followup phone call will tell you where you stand with the seller up front. Bob
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Does the first caller that promises to pay always go through with the sale?

So the buyer collects names and puts them in line, delaying them by saying that they have to check the shipping. If the first fails then the next in line until the money arrives.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
fordcragar

I've had similar situations too, I guess we all do. I inquired about a transmission that was listed, to see what it would cost to ship to me. The guy said "I can look into it", but never responded again, until it was announced it was sold.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Logan

Ive sold lots of stuff online. Its simply put the guy that shows up with the $ first takes it home. Ive had 3 guys racing to my house to pick up a dirtbike, and the first guy that got there with the cash got it no matter who called first.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Ron in Quincy

Frankly, if someone calls or e-mails me regarding a part I have, and he wants it for my asking price, I hold the part for him. I havn't had any problem with any buyer; when a person takes the time to call, I believe the seller also has a responsible to abide to his commitment to the buyer.

What upsets me is receiving an e-mail asking about prices or condition of part ? I take my time to answer and never get a reply !!! Did he not receive my e-mail ? Was my price more than he wanted to spend ?

Ron
Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Since the seller asked for the zip code so he could check shipping, that should have indicated the part was still for sale and Vanspeed was in line to buy it and said he would take it. Sounds like a bum deal on the seller's part to me.

If a sale was already pending then the seller should have said so when Vanspeed called.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
Pepsi Mechanic

The seller should have been more honest and at least have told you that there are more offers and the best deal wins . Maybe you were better off not getting the deal . They might have cashed your cheque and then not sent you anything
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

I may be going through this now! I put an ad up in Swap Meet for a 1913 style Ford windsheild. A guy from Ohio (?)wants it. My computer ran amuck and buried the e-mail. I got it back, Finally......... Anyway, This doesn't look good for the sale. Further more, I wished that the sale was local. Whjile I've done some shipping years ago, It seems a lot more expensive and involved today. And it's glass and all that entails. I've been dragging my feet trying to figure out what to do next. How to Crate it, how to ship it, how much to charge etc. Anybody have any suggestions?
Terry
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I may be going through this now! I put an ad up in Swap Meet for a 1913 style Ford windsheild. A guy from Ohio (?)wants it. My computer ran amuck and buried the e-mail. I got it back, Finally......... Anyway, This doesn't look good for the sale. Further more, I wished that the sale was local. Whjile I've done some shipping years ago, It seems a lot more expensive and involved today. And it's glass and all that entails. I've been dragging my feet trying to figure out what to do next. How to Crate it, how to ship it, how much to charge etc. Anybody have any suggestions?
Terry
Terry, if you were scared to ship the part, you probably shouldn't have listed it 'for sale' on the Internet.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
criswellnk

I understand exactly what Vanspeed is talking about. A little common courtesy can go a long way. If you have someone that is interested in the part before I called, don't shine me on, just say so. Just tell me that you are waiting to hear back from the other guy, and let me know either way if the parts has been sold or is still available. How hard is it to edit your listing or post on it that the sale is pending or to send me an e-mail/PM saying that it was sold? I am a big boy and I can handle it, you are not going to hurt my feelings.

I have bought a lot of parts from guys here on Fordbarn and have had nothing but great results, and met and talked with some great individuals. I bought parts from Vanspeed, a real good, honest guy. Ron in Quincy, if he says he has a part, it's a great part no question. If anything, he undersells how good the condition of the part is. There are some people though that I have bought parts from that list in the classified section that I will never deal with again either, gross misrepresentaion of the condition/quality of the parts, and that goes back to the old Fordbarn.

The ads that I never even give a second look to are the ones like Logan had talked about "first one here gets it". I don't need to be in some sort of a stupid foot-race to get something. If my word that I am coming over to pick-up the part/item, with cash in hand is not good enough for you, then oh well, my loss I guess.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Since the seller asked for the zip code so he could check shipping, that should have indicated the part was still for sale and Vanspeed was in line to buy it and said he would take it. Sounds like a bum deal on the seller's part to me.

If a sale was already pending then the seller should have said so when Vanspeed called.
I agree 100% with Tom on this. Very poor treatment by a seller. One can only hope it comes back around to bite them.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Vanspeed

Thanks guys, I just wanted to know if I was the only one having to deal with stuff like this. I have been a long time member of the hamb, and over there it is first come, first serve. I have been told over there that I am second in line or something like that and I am fine with that. I always say let me know if the buyer backs out. Do not tell me that you will find out for me how much shipping is if I have no chance of being able to buy the parts. Also, if they don't want to ship it or it will be too big of a headache for them, it should be stated in the ad also.

All that aside, I have made some really nice deals with fellow barners like Kriswellnk, it just shocked me that it happened to me twice in one week.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
southfork

Twice now I have found parts on the Fordbarn swap site that I have been looking for for a long time, only to have the seller Flake after confirming that he had received my payment and was shipping them to me. The story usually goes something like this:
"I packaged the part to ship and set it in the back of my pickup, but forgot to close the tailgate, so on the way to the shipper, it must have bounced out the back and got lost. Here's your money back"

Obviously (to me) they either got a better offer or got seller's remorse, because I've heard it more than once. Some people have no shame.
Closed Thread