Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
skip
Banned

Default Don't Let This Be You.

You may have the green lite but you may not be safe.

Hang up the cell phone and drive alert!

skip.

RED LIGHT RUNNERS
http://www.youtube. com/watch_ popup?v=- qvXbIenivk

Last edited by skip; 07-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
RichardW

Default Re: Don't Let This Be You.

A few years ago I took a traffic ticket dismissal class and the guy teaching it said the most dangerous thing you can do while driving is drive through a green light.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

That reminds me of an old drivers training proverb from 47 years ago: You can be right, DEAD RIGHT.
9 times out of 10 now I look a the driver that pulled a perfectly dumb move and they have a cell phone growing out of their ear.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Clydes 31 P/U

Must be nice to drive in Michigan, here in Illinois you cant tell if they're on the phone or not just by where most of em have they're heads while driving. If you catch my meaning.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydes 31 P/U View Post
Must be nice to drive in Michigan, here in Illinois you cant tell if they're on the phone or not just by where most of em have they're heads while driving. If you catch my meaning.
Ha yes ... well known medical condition ... Optical Rectumosis

When they have their head so far up their A$$ that they can see clearly out their bellybutton!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
You may have the green lite but you may not be safe.

Hang up the cell phone and drive alert!

skip.

RED LIGHT RUNNERS
http://www.youtube. com/watch_ popup?v=- qvXbIenivk
Great reminder Skip.

I had a close call while talking on my company cellphone in 1987 (remember the 7.5 lb Brick phones?). I never answer or talk on phone while driving since then!

Boss asked how come I don't answer and call back a little later ... I asked does the company pay my increased insurance rates? ... Answer: NO Ok you just answered your own question!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
MrTube

I've always treated green lights basically as yields. anyone that lives in the NJ\NY area and has some sense will probably agree.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Model A Speedster

Here in Mansfield, a green light (especially in the first few seconds of the green) does not mean you should proceed. Look both ways. Twice! That has become standard procedure, as I'm sure it has in many other locales! The idiots with phones grafted to their ears or with the music(?) so loud you can feel it are numerous.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

When I was a kid when a driver was all over the road, fast and slow he was drunk. now when they do that 9 out of 10 times they are on the phone.

There have been cases here in Florida where the prosicutors has obtained cell phone reconds for drivers in severe crashs to see if they were distracted and the crash avoidable.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Bassman/NZ

Here in New Zealand it has just become illegal to use a cellphone while driving (other than hands-free). Finally, the gubmint has done something that makes sense.
Remember, by the law of averages, 49% of drivers are moronic idjits.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Here in New Zealand it has just become illegal to use a cellphone while driving (other than hands-free). Finally, the gubmint has done something that makes sense.
Remember, by the law of averages, 49% of drivers are moronic idjits.
It's a start but does any Goverment think the only thing that makes cellphone driving unsafe is only one hand on the wheel?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Yesterday I saw a woman texting while driving. Last summer I saw a woman reading a book stuck in her steering wheel, eating a hamburger and talking on the cell phone all at the same time while steering with her knees.

There's a law against distracted driving, but it isn't enforced. There's also a law against having a radio louder than being able to hear it more than 20 feet from the car, but that also isn't enforced.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
dr.j

In Ontario CA the use of a cell phone while driving lands you a ticket / fine. Also, we have a red light camera program. Pass through the intersection on a red light and you get a fine.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
SteveM

The other day I was behind a Porsche where the driver was talking on his cell phone in his right hand. Then his left hand comes out the window to flick the ashes from his cigar.

I was thinking, what's he holding the steering wheel with? No, couldn't be THAT - the size of THAT was probably the reason he bought the Porsche in the first place.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Ray in La Mesa

Bsides checking cross traffic at green lights the best thing I learned in U.S.Army driving school 45 years ago was: what is the dumbest thing any driver will do in any situation?-watch out , they will do it.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
Bsides checking cross traffic at green lights the best thing I learned in U.S.Army driving school 45 years ago was: what is the dumbest thing any driver will do in any situation?-watch out , they will do it.
I also had to take a defensive driving class while in the Army at Fort Bliss. The one thing I remember is to have one foot on the brake as you enter the intersection, because if you have to hit the brakes for some idiot, it saves valuable feet in stopping.

For city driving I usually have one foot on the brake.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
skip
Banned

About 88 foot per second at 60 [?] mph. Reaction time is 3/4 of a second to get the braking foot off the floor and over the brake pedal. Then another 3/4 second to apply pressure. So about 133 foot before you even start to stop after 'seeing and sensing' danger. Be alert.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Dan Baron

My craziest experience, was when I saw a woman plucking her eye brows. How focused to the road do you think she was while looking for that particular eye brow hair?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

"(name withheld to protect the innocent)"

Was she REALLY innocent?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #20
DeBordEngineMan

I work for the City of Church Hill in East TN. as a street dept. worker and a member of the city Fire Dept. and I am regularly out on the streets and I see so many wrecks that could be avoided by just waiting to talk on the phone untill you stop, TN. has a law of no texting while driving but you can talk on the phone all you want....go figure you are still on the phone, Last week we had a lady hit one of your trucks out on the hiway the guys were weedeating around signs and were putting there weedeaters back in the bed of the truck which was in the emergency lane and into the grassy area on the side of the road they were standing at the tailgate when the lady drove into the back of the truck at around 60 mph, impact warped frame knocked rearend out from under truck broke drive line inhalf in the middle shoved motor and transmission to the front about 10 inches and knocked truck off the road about 50 feet luck would have it one of the guy's in the truck saw her coming as she was about to hit and the man at the tailgate jumped straight up and landed on her hood and was thrown clear no one was hurt real bad in this accident the good Lord must have been looking out for them. Oh by the way she was on the phone and swatting at a fly in the back of the car. So be careful these people are out there and they have no clue what is going on around them while driving!
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
1930artdeco

At that point DeBordEngineMan, she deserves to be sued by everybody involved for plain stupidity. I accept that accidents happen but that.... Anyhow, rant over. That is why I loved driving the A. I has taught me to watch out for there stupidy while on my motorcycle.

Mike