Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
Cartravel

Default Re: Rear Shocks, 41 pickup, help needed

According to my notes, both the trucks I took apart (a ’40 and ’41) had 14 leaves in the rear springs. I can only count 13 now, but there could be a short one that I can’t see. At the time, I couldn't find a spec for the 1/2 ton pickup, but found that sedans had 10 leaves. Now I see the ‘40 pickup (chassis 01-C) listed as a 01A 5560-G with 14 leaves. So, apparently the springs are correct.

It had only the engine and drive train on it. As I mentioned above, loading it down with an engine block didn’t make much difference, so I put two engine blocks on it. This only lowered it about ¼ inch. With the extra weight, the 4 inch shock link is long enough with about 1 ½ inches to spare (see photo), so a 3 inch would be pretty short. I’d guess the blocks are lighter than the body and bed, but I wouldn’t expect it to sink more than another ½ inch. This doesn’t allow for much rebound when it hits a bump. It has rubber bumpers to stop the upward movement, but only the shock link will stop the downward movement. This truck will never carry the weight it carried during its working life. A 10 leaf spring out of a sedan would probably give a better ride. Anyone have one they’d like to get rid of?

I appreciate your input on this issue. You never know what was done to these old pickup trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpringShockWt3.jpg (42.5 KB, 13 views)
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #22
rotorwrench

Some of the old trucks likely had super duty springs made up by owners. I've seen this before where the old farmers were making a 1-ton out of a half ton. With the bed in place on a half tonner, a fat boy like me would expect the suspension to move down a good bit when you set on the tail gate. FoMoCo did their best to keep most of the chassis weight on the unsprung side. If you add a bed, fuel tank, and fenders to the mix the gravity will start to show.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
Binx

Can you tell us what your frame serial number is? "x" out the last three for privacy.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
Cartravel

It's difficult to read, but looks like *ICC 27xxx. This was the '41 and had a 6 in it. There are some interesting differences between it and the '40.
-Larry
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote