Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
fordified

Default Argentina made front spring perches

I did not want to hijack the thread started earlier today, but it did get me thinking about a pair of reproduction perches I purchased a couple years ago, (say that three times fast). I want to rebuild the front end of my coupe this summer and would like to know if any of my fellow Ford Barners have any experience with these. One of my perches is welded to my bent axle where the nut is suppose to be, and the other one will also need some welding/filing where the bushing runs through it. I am not building a high point car, just a reliable driver. Basically I am hoping these will hold up to the stress that they will be subjected to, and not pose any other problem with assembly or brake components that I could be forewarned about.
I appreciate any information you may have, and thank you in advance,

Kyle Robertson
fordified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Tiny

Default Re: Argentina made front spring perches

Argentinian stuff is notoriously poorly made. This was some of the first repop stuff from the 60's and 70's. Dont cheap out. Buy some quality stuff. Your life and the life of others is worth more.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
John LaVoy

Like was said there was a lot of cheap stuff out of Argentina and much of it failed. I agree buy a new repro perch. In many cases the Argentina stuff didn't even fit so you might save yourself some aggravation by starting with a better quality part.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
firetique57

Kyle,
I too bought a pair of perches made in Argentina because they were cheap. When I got them I was dismayed at the very poor quality of the castings. They had pits and voids that over time I'm sure would compromise their integrity and fail and the machining was terrible. I turned around and bought a quality pair for much more money but when compared side by side to the "cheaper" Argentina one's it was quite apparent the Argentina perches were destined to be fancy paper weights.
firetique57 is offline   Reply With Quote