Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
joe plumber

Default Radio noise .

Does anyone know where I can purchase a noise supression wire that goes between the coil wire an distributor cap?This is for a 53 flathead .I got a lot of noise on my radio .Nothing I have tried so far has worked .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Radio noise .

Here are some old fashioned ideas from the second page of the original radio manual for my '47 that might be worth a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio Manual2 interference.jpg (85.6 KB, 55 views)
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
richard crow

is it an orignal am or after market fm.
richard crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
rotorwrench

You can try shielded wire for the low tension breaker but I don't think that is your problem. Copper core high tension leads to you plugs could be a cause. The generator can also cause this. I think you can still get the radio noise supresion capacitor from Napa to fit the generator. High tension leads either would have to be shielded or you would have to run carbon core high tension leads. The old metal tubes they used to run the leads through acted as a shield of sorts. Aircraft use shielded high tension leads from the mags to the spark plugs for this very reason.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
joe plumber

I should have stated that I completely changed over to a 12 volt system ,all gauges and everything are 12 volts with an alternator .Radio is a 12 volt fm.I even installed an MSD noise capacitor ,it helps but still have noise .All wiring is new 12 volt.Might be in the radio itself.The NAPA people here didn't have a clue as to what I was taling about when I mentioned the supression wire ,could be it will not work for 12 volts anyway.Thanks for the replies .I'll find it ,jst take some time .If it was plumbing related it would be no problem.Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Dave72dt

I've seen condensors on ignition coils, generators and I think on the back of some alternators also for noise supression purposes and a supression wrap on coil wires. You might try a small engine repair. I seem to recall seeing those wraps on coil wires on some lawn equipment motors.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Pete

It is probably ignition noise you are complaining of. This is hard to get rid of.
Most modern cars use carbon core plug wires. Also the wire from the coil to the distributor that you are looking for...If you can't find a replacment wire set with carbon cores, you can always make one up from bulk wire and ends..These are available at most big parts stores.
If you are getting noise in the FM reception, it is likely you have a very bad case of noise
because normally there is almost no noise with this.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Marv

IN the old days i was told to put a ground cable from the hood to the body. A ground cable from the body to the frame, and a ground cable from the frame to the engine. It worked on my 47 Ford coupe. You could have the engine running and radio on and no engine noise in it, but if you raised the hood you had all kinds of noise. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
joe plumber

Thanks for all the tips.I have all grounds in place ,except the hood to body .I will give the carbon wire idea a try and see what happens .Once again thanks to you all.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
gmc1941

Found a tip on radio noise.
There is a simple test you can do to determine if the noise is coming in through the hot wire or the antenna. Tune the radio to an area in the AM band (this will not work on FM) where there is no station. With the engine running and the volume turned up, tune around until you find the noisest spot. Now reach down and unplug the antenna from the radio. If the noise disappears or is greatly reduce, you have found the source of your radio noise. The common cause of engine noise is poor ground at the antenna end of the cable. Copied from "Wired for Sucess" by Randy Rundle with out his permission.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
harry goebel

I have the same problem with my 53 Meteor, with same set up. That is a good tip, about dsiconnecting the antenna.
harry goebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
Found a tip on radio noise.
There is a simple test you can do to determine if the noise is coming in through the hot wire or the antenna. Tune the radio to an area in the AM band (this will not work on FM) where there is no station. With the engine running and the volume turned up, tune around until you find the noisest spot. Now reach down and unplug the antenna from the radio. If the noise disappears or is greatly reduce, you have found the source of your radio noise. The common cause of engine noise is poor ground at the antenna end of the cable. Copied from "Wired for Sucess" by Randy Rundle with out his permission.
I'll try that also ,thanks