Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default Generator restoration and 12v conversion

What do you guys normally replace when rebuilding an generator or does everyone just use a alternator? I've taken apart 3 rusty, mud dauber filled generators. They are all 2 brush type, one with a ground terminal and 2 without. The only other difference I can find is that the front bearing is larger on one than on the other 2. I hope to get at least one good 12v generator out this stuff. Bought an early 60's regulator from Autozone and 12v field coils and brushes from C&G. I thought I was also getting a modern sealed front bearing, but it turned out to be an original style. This looks like a good place for a sealed bearing, since there seems to be no way to lubricate the front bearing. What do the rest of you do when rebuilding one of these? The armatures are pretty weathered. Is there a way to test them when apart? I know it is easier to put an alternator in, but I'd like to stick with the generator. After my recent experience with a local shop screwing up the Lucas generator for my Allard, I decided to tackle this project myself.
Larry Young
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: Generator restoration and 12v conversion

I rebuilt mine. Took a 1947 gennie and a 1957, used the armature and both end plates from the 47, and the barrel and field coils from the 57. Works just fine. No need for an alternator.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
woodypecker

There are complete rebuild kits for later 12v generators that include 12v armature field coils brushes and bearings. everything fits except the rear bearing is too large for the early rear plate and the rear armature shaft is too small for the early rear bushing. You can use a late rear plate with the late bearing or make a bushing for the rear armature shaft with large od and small id.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I rebuilt mine. Took a 1947 gennie and a 1957, used the armature and both end plates from the 47, and the barrel and field coils from the 57. Works just fine. No need for an alternator.
That is what I did. Works fine. 56 was the first year for 12V. They are not marked.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Cartravel

Has anyone used a sealed front bearing? Will probably have to take up space occupied by seals, etc.
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
john in illinois

The 78 and 79 generators have the best front bearings. Newer generators were not made to support a fan and have smaller bearings.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.5 KB, 32 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
B-O-B

quote"The armatures are pretty weathered. Is there a way to test them when apart?"

Find a person or repair shop with a growler. Make sure all the wires attached to the commutator are soldered & solder not melted & flung off & you can spray the windings & fields with glyptol.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote