Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Terranova

Default ‘36 Ford shifter question.

Forgive me for asking such a basic knowledge question, but this is my first time on this. I know that in order to pull an engine and trans out of a sedan at the same time I need to remove the shifter and parking brake in order to clear the fire wall. Do I need to pull the six bolts off the top of the box and pull the whole shift tower or is it possible to remove the cup that retains the shifter. On a few of the pics on VP’s site (thanks Mac!) the cup looks like it’s threaded. Is that the case?

Thanks In advance.
Mike T
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: ‘36 Ford shifter question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Forgive me for asking such a basic knowledge question, but this is my first time on this. I know that in order to pull an engine and trans out of a sedan at the same time I need to remove the shifter and parking brake in order to clear the fire wall. Do I need to pull the six bolts off the top of the box and pull the whole shift tower or is it possible to remove the cup that retains the shifter. On a few of the pics on VP’s site (thanks Mac!) the cup looks like it’s threaded. Is that the case?

Thanks In advance.
Mike T

Yes, the shifter itself is removable. Place the transmission in NEUTRAL. Unthread that cup. Lift the stick straight out. The shift housing below is a couple of years newer than yours, but is representative of what you'll see when the stick is removed. The second pic shows what the business end of your stick handle will look like when removed. You can do it either way, meaning that you can also remove the six bolts and the entire shifter assembly. Once again, thank you to Mac VanPelt for the excellent pictures. DD

……….

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
Brian

Undoing the 6 bolts and removing the entire top will give you more room. You can remove your 'threaded cup' and lift the lever up and out...if you do that, be careful not to drop the pin into the transmission. This pin is contained by the 'threaded cup' but is revealed upon removal of the cup on the pass side.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Terranova

Thank you for the info. Back at it later today.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote