Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Who makes a good condenser?

The old condenser testers checked for capacity test, resistance test, and leakage or insulation test. If it passed all that then it was good to go. The old capacitor testers are hard to find now days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Kind of OT but when I went to Cali in 81 I threw a set of points and condenser in my glove compartment that I bought from Ford. Is the condenser any good?
Not if it's got chewing gum stuck all over it. Otherwise it should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Back-in-the-day, new points used to come with a small packet of special grease in the box ...
I need to round up some.
Continued... I found this points cam lube in an old box of leftover 'garage' things on a back shelf,
just in time to fire up my '55. I hadn't seen it since the 70's, moved three times since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg points cam lube.jpg (32.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

Lol !
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #24
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Not if it's got chewing gum stuck all over it. Otherwise it should be fine.

Continued... I found this points cam lube in an old box of leftover 'garage' things on a back shelf,
just in time to fire up my '55. I hadn't seen it since the 70's, moved three times since then.
Good to know about condenser. Went to "auto Parts" store a few years back and asked for cam lube, the "person" brought out a small tube of dist cam lube. I said no it's for a camshaft so he went back in the back again and brought out a whole hand full of the little tubes. I left.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #25
scicala

"Good to know about condenser. Went to "auto Parts" store a few years back and asked for cam lube, the "person" brought out a small tube of dist cam lube. I said no it's for a camshaft so he went back in the back again and brought out a whole hand full of the little tubes. I left."

Now that's funny !

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Post Re: Who makes a good condenser?

The cam needs to open the points gradually to prevent float. This causes a big problem when it comes to breaking the primary circuit. Think of the points as a little 4 amp arc welder. When arc welding, you touch the electrode to your work piece, to start current flowing, and lift it up to get an arc gap. The constant current power source of the arc welder will increase the voltage to the electrode to maintain the current flow across the arc. If you keep lifting the electrode you will reach a point where the welder can not supply enough voltage to maintain the arc and current flow will stop. Points will do the exact same thing. Current flows through them when they close. When they open the inductance of the ignition coil tries to maintain that current so an arc will be struck between them until the points open up enough to break the circuit. The more current you run through the points, the harder it is for them to break the current.

That is why point systems have a condenser (called a capacitor in any other electrical system). The condenser slows down the reaction time of the coil to allow the points time to open and break the circuit. Without a condenser you will likely never break the primary current and get no spark from the secondary. Having a condenser that is too large will completely prevent arcing across the points but will also slow the coil so much that it is unable to strike an arc on the secondary. The trick is to find a condenser that gives a happy medium between the arc at the points and the arc at the spark plug. A smaller condenser means more power from the coil but shorter point life due to pitting. A larger condenser will give you longer point life but sacrifice coil output. One trick to make a high performance points system is to wire two condensers together in series. This effectively gives you one condenser with half the value.

Most guys when changing points will replace the condenser if it needs it or not. This is not always a good idea. A condenser is a simple component and they rarely go bad. The only bad condenser I've seen was brand new, the wire had broken off inside. If you are changing your points and the motor was running fine then do not replace your condenser. You may do more harm than good.

WHOLE ARTICLE HERE - http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/points.htm

PERTRONIX IGNITOR II - http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
fordwife

I pick up all the nos points, condensers, rotors I can find. Even the ones from Sears,Western Auto, etc are far and away better than the junk we're getting now.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #28
24ruxstel1339

I believe all new condensers are made in China nowadays, and are crap.
I put a reman distributor in a 64 Falcon and shortly after the customer said it was bucking, stalling and not starting. After checking it several times and it not acting up, it finally went haywire. I traced it to the condenser and put a Standard in, that was several years ago.

Also had an intermittent hot no start on a 73 Impala I had tuned up. Ended up going with HEI and attributed it to the Standard condenser.
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #29
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ruxstel1339 View Post
I believe all new condensers are made in China nowadays, and are crap.
I put a reman distributor in a 64 Falcon and shortly after the customer said it was bucking, stalling and not starting. After checking it several times and it not acting up, it finally went haywire. I traced it to the condenser and put a Standard in, that was several years ago.

Also had an intermittent hot no start on a 73 Impala I had tuned up. Ended up going with HEI and attributed it to the Standard condenser.
Same horrible experience just happened to a newcomer to the Fordbarn. I was actually able to visit his personal residence, look at the car firsthand, and diagnose that the internals on his new distributor were junk. I gave him one of my good distributors on loan and no more issues. His new distributor lasted about 45 miles I guess.

You guys are right on getting the old NOS or NORS points/condensers.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #30
BUBBAS IGNITION

Guys the absolute best ignition parts available today are Echlin heavy duty from NAPA !!!! The off shore stuff is pure junk!!!
Even a NOS condensor may or may not be good as they do have a shelf life and just plain dry up due to improper sealing. Buy the napa unit its good !!!

We do offer a New Lifetime unit ( Vertex mag unit) that a friend has made just for his Mag business. They run $32 with a standard mounting bracket...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
24ruxstel1339

^^I agree with the NAPA ignition parts.

I ran points in my 77 Harley for years, never had any problems with the condenser. Did neglect the points too long once, starter drive was out and I had been kick starting it for a while, till the points caused it to about break my ankle !!
I didn't care for the "Blue Streak" points that everyone seemed to love.
I have since went electronic and it was worth every penny !
24ruxstel1339 is offline   Reply With Quote