Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Brian

Default oil coolers

Do any of the members here run an engine oil cooler? Seems to me, everyone running a flattie experiences higher oil pressure upon start up, after which, pressure drops as oil reaches operating temp. Elevated operating temps seem to plague several members too. One of the purposes of oil is to cool parts of the engine....
I'm contemplating fitting a cooler...I have absolutely no cooling issues- never have, however, am continually seeking ways in which to 'improve' the old engine. I do know that oil pressure certainly drops after a few miles. And the old 21 studder doesn't have a rear main which equates to a bit of a leak....so seems to me that if I can cool the oil somewhat, viscosity is maintained a bit, oil pressure looks better, leakage through the rear main may diminish, and the thermostats may get to work a bit more to regulate water temp.
I'm already running the 95% filtration setup, so it'll be easy to do a bit more plumbing.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: oil coolers

Oil pressure is not necessarily a good thing sometimes. To much can do as much damage as too little, well sort of (with dirty oil). Interesting idea, looking forward to others ideas too. Can't hurt can it.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Brian

Indeed! But the factory set relief valves control the pressure -right? So they're not set for 'dangerous' pressure. But as the oil temp increases, viscosity decreases, thinning the oil, so the relief valve[s] get to have a rest; they are no longer controlling the pressure. The oil is 'thicker' when it's cooler, providing more of a barrier between moving parts. Cooling this oil as it circulates through the engine will have [hopefully!], a twofold effect; maintaining oil pressure and [slightly] aiding in bringing down entire engine temp. Might be a bit of 'fiddling' between having the relief valve continually unloading and giving it a rest, but I'll report back eventually with my findings.
Incidently...I've never destroyed a flathead V8, yet! still trying to find the 'weak link'
Old 06-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #4
Tinker

I like it. Good interesting project. The weak link in my flatheads is me! thankfully they resist my efforts.

Look forward to updates.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:03 AM   #5
Brian

Thanks...hopefully someone has done this before me so I don't have to pioneer it. There are available thermostatically controlled 'bypass' devices that fit into the circuitry [much like the water thermostats control temp], that are designed to regulate the oil temp within limits, alternatively an oil cooler could be plumbed in without such a control. What is an ideal operating temp for circulating engine oil?
Old 06-08-2019, 01:55 AM   #6
tubman

I have done it, but not on a flathead. My vintage dirt modified runs a '54 Chrysler hemi. When I first took it out, all of the old-timers told me that if I was gonna run a hemi, I would need lots of oil because it was a weak spot for them (I don't know if it's true or not). I modified the pan to hold 12 quarts, and just to be sure, ran dual oil filters and an oil cooler (I got it from a friend and don't know what it is out of; it's about 12" X 6" and 2" thick). Boys does it work. I don't race anymore, but when I did, I would have to warm the car up for about 15 minutes before the races just to get the oil hot enough to run. I have an old 6 cylinder Valiant radiator in the car, and it has never overheated on me, ever. Just my experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thurmer Brothers #102.jpg (114.2 KB, 29 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
ford38v8

That sounds like an excellent idea, and should also work well with a bypass filter system.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #8
JWL
Member Emeritus

My suggestion would be to monitor and record the present oil temps to determine the need for a "cooler". The minimum desirable oil temperature is at least 200 degrees F.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

Ran an oil temp gauge in the stock car. After a race temp was 220/230 Had a dual filter system, so bought two oil coolers from JC Whitney. These were according shaped aluminum pieces that clamped to the filters. as crud as they were they reduced the temp by 10/15 degrees.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Ford of Canada and Ford Dearborn had oil cooler set ups for the universal carrier types that they manufactured during the war. The little beasts were slow and the engine was shrouded up pretty tight so they had to use them. I installed the two oil coolers for an engine overhaul on a Robinson R44 helicopter yesterday and it took most of the day to get them hooked to the engine shroud. These are air cooled so they have to have them. Any engine could benefit from a cooler set up but you have to have a place to put them and take care in getting them plumbed correctly. Most all of them need a thermostatic bypass valve in the inlet line to keep them off line until the oil gets warmed up. Oil flows through them better after it's warmed up. In real cold weather, a cooler can block flow or burst under pressure if it has no bypass system.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

With the f1 Ford listed one of the advantages of increased operating temperature was improved lubrication with the higher temps. Don't think you will find any modern engine that runs anywhere as cool as a flathead, not sure why you would want to lower the oil temperature in a street car/truck.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Pete

One thing is for sure. A cooler will lower the oil temp. This in turn will increase the viscosity of the oil SLIGHTLY. This in turn will increase the oil pressure SLIGHTLY.
Maybe a needle width on the gauge, IF YOU ARE LUCKY.
Another thing for sure, a cooler won't hurt anything.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote