Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #61
SeaSlugs

Default Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramc1 View Post
I'm 36 and have a hot rod '29 A truck I built from just a cowl, a '40s style '31 A coupe, a bone stock '37 Ford V8-60, and a resto-mod '46 Studebaker M5 pickup. Aside from the '37 (I just bought it at Hershey) I have hand built the rest of my vehicles. I work at a university and drive my old rides to work almost every day, 40 miles round trip, 8 months out of the year. I go to 3-4 cruise nights a week, every week.

My observations:
1. Probably the oldest car out of 15,000 or so student cars I see at my work is mid-'90s.
2. At cruise night I am usually the youngest person there with a car that is over 30 years old. Once in a while a kid will show up in a '85 El Camino. Most of the guys are now into muscle cars and are roughly 45-55 years old. The 55+ crowd is into street rods and stockers.

I think that kids want what they see growing up. Right now those "kids" are boomers and want '50s cars and muscle cars. Prewar cars are for the older folks. The T guys are all but gone and I never ever see a stock T out except for the AACA show.

The current generation of kids 16-25 doesn't even seem to be interested in even driving or living on their own much less owning an old car. There are always exceptions. I grew up in the '80s so you would think an IROC-Z would be my dream car, but it's not.

The kids these days are going to want to cruise an old '05 WRX in a few years. I predict in the next 20 years that most of the "car guys" now will be either gone or too old to drive anymore. There is going to be a huge supply of old iron and very little demand. Sure, Deuces and As will always be special, but they too will wain in popularity. Any fiberglass car is going to be worthless as there will be so many real steel cars up for grabs why would you want a 'glass one?

It's sad, but I think you guys (anyone over 50) are going to be the last big hoorah in terms of car culture. I hope that I am wrong! I think the world is changing too much away from good old cool American iron to computers, phones, and vanity to make this thing last forever. I know I won't be hanging out at cruise nights with my Model A in 30 years if it's nothing but 2014 Mustangs and Camaros and vintage cell phones.
yea those are good points, i can go out and buy a early 90's pickup for $500-$1000 and drive it home. Sure its got rust but plenty of aftermarket parts available and new bedsides, cab corners, rocker panels, fenders, etc.

Ive wondered what cruise ins are going to be like in 30 years with all these plastic cars and computer controlled this and that. cant wait to see what 40 year old PCM, ICM, BCM boards are going to be like. or spending days fixing or installing a wiring harness. I wonder what a 40 year old airbag is gonna be like...
Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #62
Tiny

I do know that here in Northern California a couple of MAFCA chapters went together and bought an A pickup and donated it to a hs auto shop to restore. I believe it was the Diablo A's and the lake county A's. Too bad there is not more of this happening
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #63
oliverguy

There is plenty of interest. What I see though in my club is mostly grandfathers giving their car to their grandsons, in addition to young guys buying cars from "the great generation" for a reasonable price. I really don't think their is anything to worry about.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #64
BrianBurkert

Oliverguy and I have some "young" people in our club (late 20's, 30's, early 40's). I think the time and monetary requirements that are needed to be active in the old car hobby are difficult for people with young families. Of all the people I know, I don't think older people are necessarily more interested in Model A's than younger people. It's just that a certain type of person is going to be interested in Model A's. Is that person interested enough to dedicate the time and resources to own and maintain one?
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #65
BrianBurkert

Plus, I think peoples' interest in hobbies is waning. With 5,000 channels on TV, smartphones, and all sorts of other "virtual" experiences, hands-on hobbies have suffered.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #66
cradlescyth

my thoughts on this subject might not mean much,

it is a thought. When I go to cruse nights , I do not see many

model A's If more of A owners would go to mixed cruse nights

we might get the younger people into Model A's. I like events that

are all Model A's, but these events are attended by A lovers. We as

model A people should go to events that are mixed, open to all.

This would expose Model A's to car lovers and could serve to bring

them on board.

So much for my thoughts
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #67
Jim Huseby

I agree that it takes exposure and an explanation of the thrill, satisfaction, challenge, do-ability and nostalgia of Model A-ing to initiate anyone, young or old to the hobby. So, as mentioned, showing up at HS events, and shop class would be essential to the indoctrination. Maybe we should develop a program or guide lines for it. My dad had his first Model A when he was 16, and like the string of "T"s he'd owned before then, had to start with (affordable) junk. That's him standing by his '29 phaeton in front of Paseo high school in 1935 or 36 as shown in my web site. Lots of kids had fascinating cars back then and up into the late '70s (my guess) when kids finally were so baby sat by popular culture and youth programs, that a very large percentage of them forfieted their individuality, drive and vision. It's worse today, but not all youth are brain dead yet. I don't think that it necessarily took, then or now, the coolness or popularity of gear heading to motivate a young person to engage in an endeavor that would take up the major portion of his time and vitality. It did and does take a personal vision and determination, largely un-influenced by peer pressure or popular culture. Those types must still be out there. I would probably turn off HS kids, so I'll have my youngest son take the CCPU to the local shop class. We WILL do it. Thanks for the idea. www.olympic-speedsters.com
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #68
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn in Atlanta View Post
Last resort: tell your daughter they can't date anyone who isn't interested in owning a Model A Ford.
i can fake interest in a model A ford, should not be that hard..

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #69
Fdohnke

Talking Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I do know that here in Northern California a couple of MAFCA chapters went together and bought an A pickup and donated it to a hs auto shop to restore. I believe it was the Diablo A's and the lake county A's. Too bad there is not more of this happening
Tiny is onto it.

Its exposure, exposure, exposure. The challenge is that hot-rodding is easy, there is not form or mold to follow and is seen as "cool". While restoration to original can be challenging, expensive and finding right part can take time.

I've learned to enjoy the searching.

Somebody needs to do a History channel short series on original restorations.
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #70
al's28/33

I'm gonna be 45 this year and I have just ALWAYS liked the sounds and looks of old time cars. I never wanted a mustang or camaro or VW but I ALWAYS wanted an "A" or a "T". A's are much easier to drive and stop on today's roads even though parts are easily available for both models. Anyway, I think it's just the mentality of the generations and from what I have seen at shows it helps to know people in your neighborhood willing to share their time and knowledge. Motorshop is gone from High Schools these days, no funding. The internet and social media have taken a stronghold on the nations youths to distract them from getting dirty underneath a classic car. Needless to mention who has $$$$$ to spend or a place to work on these old jalopies.
I think it's just personnal preference and to each his/her own.
I am always willing to share a ride or explain details about my cars to anyone who asks, but I also think it's EXPOSURE and public interest that needs to be perpetuated.

Just my honest opinion!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #71
DrinkMan

Go to cruise-ins where the younger car folks are. Ask about their cars. Show a genuine appreciation for what they do. They will then be open to asking about the Model A. Don't react negatively when they want to drop in an K24 (that's a Honda engine). Laugh, remind them the rest of the car could not handle the power. Then show up over and over again. Soon they will come around.

I have made friends with a young guy that has over 500 hp in his Honda Civic. He now asks me about how the progress on the "old school Ford" is coming. At one of the cruise ins he saved a parking space for me next to his Honda.

These guys are incredibly talented and just because they currently have their Ricers, as they can afford more both financially and space, some will go "Old School Ford". But first, we need to show up to shows that are open to all, not just original Model A.

A diverse fleet - nothing boring:
1928 Ford Tudor
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce (Duetto)
1973 Opel GT
1973 Triumph TR6
1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6+ engine: Spit6
2005 Lotus Elise
DrinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #72
4118truck

How many of us wanted a Model A when we were 20-30? I didn't. I had a family and a job that kept me busy. Even when I hit 60, I wanted a car that I couldn't have when I was 30, so I bought my 67 Porsche. I had no intention of buying a Model A, because I never had sn interest in them when I was younger. Them I came across a pickup. That is all it took, because my first vehicle that I had was a pickup (1946). What I sm saying is that the younger people will want, as the get older and have the disposable income, that which reminded them of their youth. Unfortunately, probably not an A Model.
4118truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #73
Rex_A_Lott

I agree with the starting off young, on a personal level. I give the grandkids a ride when I get a chance.
On a different note, here's a thought:
Reach out to the older ones in a way they prefer...
If you have a build thread ( I dont) make a little placard with the link to it and something like : " Learn more about my car here : www... "
Maybe even the links to Marco's , Vince's or Steve Plucker's" site.
Who knows, you may see somebody poking around on their I-phone, trying to find out how you put that jewel together. Maybe one in a hundred might actually ask you about it, just dont hold your breath.
Its just pretty much a given, that as a whole, society doesnt care ( because its not a necessity) about fixing things the way we had to when we were younger. Most mornings when I get up I'm thankful for that!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #74
jhowes

I posted on here yesterday. Where did it go? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #75
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I posted on here yesterday. Where did it go? Jack
The same thing has happened to me a few times. I just assumed it was because I was posting late at night, and tired, and may have forgotten to hit "SUBMIT REPLY".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #76
norway

this is my history.
I saw one very Nice original ford model a fordor 1930 here i norway, so i searched the license number on the car, and track down the owner, and i bought the car. i sold my Dodge Dakota 2006 to buy it, this was when I was 19 year old in 2011. the main reason i bought the ford model a was to build hot rod. just put in Chevrolet 350 engine, and drop axle, and new rear axle ++ and keep the body original. but after I drove the car. i just love this Stock model a engine, and it is easy to get parts to this good 4cyl flathead engine. so I went away from the plan to build hot rod.
later In 2012 i bought ford model a 1929 pickup project from usa, and shipped it to norway. today this ford model a 1929 pickup is almost finished. this is one of 2 ford model a 1929 pickup With original engine that i know that is original here in norway. we have alot of ford model a 28-29 pickup here in norway but all is hot rod.

here's a picture of both my ford model a.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #77
SeaSlugs

wow neat garage, whats on the floor? I bet it cost alot of money to get things shipped that far!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #78
norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
wow neat garage, whats on the floor? I bet it cost alot of money to get things shipped that far!
it is only temporary wooden boards on the floor. I'll make a better floor later.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #79
realsteel 1934

I got involved with model A Fords at the age of 10 and had my first one restored and was showing it at 13.My father was the one that got me to old cars as I was hanging out with the wrong guys early-- Drag Racers! --They lived in house next store.Well all in all it was very positive and I am still at it 50 years later.

My wife and I are suporters of the AACA and this past Hershey we decided to donate a vehical to start a childrens program to get youth involved in the hobby.I raced go carts and quater midgets from 9 years old till about 11--then the model A took over.
Anyway I collect carts and quater midgets. My stepkids want nothing to do with my hobby -- lucky for me there mom loves our cars. So we gave the AACA a mint Rice quater midget to get young kids into a program of restoring and racing then showing historic race vehicals ( the one we donated has great history ) The program is just getting going so look for more on it down the road.

The AACA has also teamed up with Hagerty youth program and gets kids involved in juging programs.

All any of us can do is try our best to pass on the knowlage as we are just custodians of our antiques till the next guy gets it!

Kevin
realsteel 1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #80
jhowes

My post have disappeared, why?
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote