Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default Autolite 2100 vs 2150 carbureter question.

I put a rebuild kit on this carb.earlier in the year but still has problems. I have taken it apart to work on it 3 different times but cannot get it to right.Has idle problems and runs to rich all the time.Anyway,i decided to replace it so ordered another 2100.The new carb.came in this morning but it looks different than my 2100.It has vacuum ports that mine does not have.Has a choke pull off that mine does not have.It is a 2v like mine. Also,the base of the carb.has a pcv vac.port on it.On mine,the pcv port is on the carb. adaptor.
My 2100 carb.has a 1.08 venturi.This one does not have any numbers at all on the body of the carb. I know that I can plug up all the extra vacuum ports and try it to see if it works but don't want to take a chance and than voiding the warranty. To me,this carb. looks like a 2150 becuase of the shape of the base of the carb and also,my 2100 has a 1 stage power valve and the carb. they sent has a larger power valve,looks like a 2 stage power valve. I need some opinions before i send it back.Do you think this carb.will work ok in replacing my 2100. Its going in my 1968 ford 302 engine.Stock intake. Thanks for your help.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Autolite 2100 vs 2150 carbureter question.

The 2150 is an emissions era carb. Personally I would return it and ask for the correct retro-fit or have yours professionally redone.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
poolplayer1

Default Re: Autolite 2100 vs 2150 carbureter question.

Ok, thanks for your help Kultulz. Before you answered,I was getting ready to plug up all the vacuum ports that I don't need and just use what ever my old carb.used. The only thing that I was worried about was the larger power valve and the different size metering jets.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: Autolite 2100 vs 2150 carbureter question.

Well, it can be used but why re-calibrate it and take the chance? The 2150 came online in 1972 at the start of the mechanical EMISSION SYSTEMS era.

This what re-builders do. They make core carbs multi-use for several different applications and if it doesn't perform correctly, it is up to you to re-calibrate.

If the car is a beater, it is one thing. Nice car and you want it to perform correctly, stay within the original calibration (IMO).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
scicala

Totally agree with KULTULZ.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
packrat5
BANNED

You can replace your 2100 carb with a 2150 if you want. The key to this is, get a used one from a later pickup truck, not from a car. Truck carbs, and car carbs are different animals. They are very often on e-pay for reasonable prices. The tag # will identify them as such. They are usually the 1.23 venturi size. They have several improvements over the 2100 carbs, and are better overall. They are also CALIBRATED TO USE A PCV valve, unlike most 2100 carbs. And they have additional vacuum ports for a hot air snorkel, and a ported vacuum switch, which can come in handy, and an external vacuum brake, which works much better than the old internal vacuum brake on older Motorcraft units. You can use Holly window power valves in them, and even go to a two-stage unit which MAY give you a little better mileage.
The problem with buying a "rebuilt" is they are often cobbled from parts from several different carburetors, and are almost never right. I have seen rebuilt Motorcraft carbs for Fords that are done up on AMC cores. If you can't return it, just throw it away, and chalk it up to experience, and start over.

Last edited by packrat5; 06-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
poolplayer1

Thanks guys for all your great information.Here is an update.I text the seller telling him about the difference between his and my carb. He told me that his carb.will work as a 2100 or 2150. He told me he guarantees his carbs.100% and there would be no problem with an exchange or refund.He than told me to go ahead and at least try the new carb to see if works good on my engine before I send it back.So, saturday morning I installed the new carb. As long as I keep the throttle at a face pace,it sounds really nice and smooth,no backfire of any kind.However,as I let go off the throttle,the engine dies,it will not idle at all. I Plugged all the extra vacuum ports that I did not need ( 4 of them) and have new base gasket.I tried adjusting the idle scews but made no difference,it still dies.To me,it sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere but i tripple checked and did not see any leaks at all.The only thing that comes to mind is this. My old carb.uses a spacer between the intake and carb.that has the port for the pcv valve.I do have a pcv valve on this engine.The new carb.comes with its own pcv port already at the base of the carb.I plugged the pcv port on the new carb. and used my spacer since it has the port for the pcv valve. Could this be the problem?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
... To me,it sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere ... My old carb.uses a spacer between the intake and carb.that has the port for the pcv valve.I do have a pcv valve on this engine.The new carb.comes with its own pcv port already at the base of the carb.I plugged the pcv port on the new carb. and used my spacer since it has the port for the pcv valve. Could this be the problem?
If the new carb with PCV port built in has a different shaped base plate that isn't the same as the old carb, and it isn't sitting on a matching gasket & spacer, that's where the leak may be.
I've seen some carbs that are open on the bottom where the PCV fitting goes in. But it overhangs the edge of an older style gasket.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-24-2019 at 12:29 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
poolplayer1

Thanks dmsfrr for your reply. There has to be an internal vacuum leak because I checked and double checked all my vacuum lines and connections.All are ok. What I noticed besides the new carb.having a pull-off choke and also a bigger power valve than mine has,I noticed that the back base of my old carb.is curved and the new carb.is flat.I don't know that this makes a difference but they are different.Im going to see if I can send a pix of both carbs to the group so that you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
poolplayer1

Hopefull the pictures will go tru.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-24-19 003.jpg (54.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 6-24-19 006.jpg (37.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
scicala

That's where dmfsrr said he thought the vacuum leak may be. Not on all the vacuum ports and connections.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
... Im going to see if I can send a pix of both carbs to the group so that you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Those pictures came thru just fine.

Quote:
... I plugged the pcv port on the new carb. and used my spacer since it has the port for the pcv valve. Could this be the problem?
Can you post photos of the (old) pvc spacer you used, and the top gasket on it?

Notice the area marked with yellow in this copy of your #2150 photo... it is open to the venturies & manifold vacuum, but IF it isn't sitting on a matching gasket and spacer you'll have a vacuum leak from the 'overhang' of the new carb's base plate on a narrower(?) old spacer plate.
The old carb is, and its pvc spacer plate may be, narrower on the back side. Green line... photo 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp 2150 copy.jpg (101.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pp 2100 copy.jpg (68.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
poolplayer1

Ok dmsfrr and sal. I will take pixs of both the spacer and the top gasket and post here for you to see. Thanks to both.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
poolplayer1

The new carb.being that its flat at the back,will not match the configuration of my spacer.I mounted the new carb.on the spacer including the top gasket ( while I had them sitting on a table) and I can see where there ar 2 small spaces where the 2 don't match up.
I'll send the pixs so you can see the 2 openings.I can return the new carb.tomorrow but do you think that there be a spacer that is flat on the back like the new carb.so it will match it.The reason I'm asking is because the guy may not have a carb.that has the back curved like mine and thus tell me that he won't be able to help me with the correct carb. Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Quote:
... do you think that there be a spacer that is flat on the back like the new carb.so it will match it. ...
Just an example that could be a shape that works... ???
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-19...cAAOSwawpXwjEG

You may be able to use the built-in pcv port on the new carb instead of the old pcv spacer. But the shape at the top of the intake manifold where the new carb & spacer bolts down would have to be at least the same size (& shape) or you could get a leak at that surface, in addition to at the base of the carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 bbl spacer.jpg (50.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #16
poolplayer1

That spacer that you have here looks like the base gasket that I use between the the intake and the carb.Its kind of thick,about 1/2" or so. Would that spacer in the image be a phenolic spacer? I have an extra base gasket here that looks the one in your post but I don't know if I should try to use it as a top gasket. I use 2 gaskets with my carb. The base gasket which is thick and a top gasket that I use between the spacer and the carb.itself.This top gasket is really thin. I tried to upload a pix of the spacer and the top gasket but it says file not uploaded.Don't know why.The pixs are not any larger than the ones I sent before.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 PM   #17
dmsfrr

Quote:
... do you think that there be a spacer that is flat on the back like the new carb.so it will match it. ...
Quote:
That spacer that you have here looks like the base gasket that I use between the the intake and the carb.Its kind of thick,about 1/2" or so. Would that spacer in the image be a phenolic spacer? ...
Sorry I don't know for sure, haven't had my hands on a 2 bbl 302 since the early 70's. I just picked these carb spacer listings off of ebay as sample pictures because they look close to what you could need(?), since you asked if they might be available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTAN...wAAOSwqfZaT9SI

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
poolplayer1

Thank you very much dmsfrr for your help with my carb.spacer.Looks the one in your second link may be the one I can use on the new carb. I sent the pixs of the new and old carbureters to the guy that sold me the carb.so that he can see the difference between the 2 carbs.Maybe he has a spacer that I can use on the new carb,if not,I might try the one that you saw on ebay. You and others have been very helpfull and I really apreciate all of you guys help,advice,and suggestions.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
dmsfrr

You're welcome,
Good luck with getting it working.
I noticed some of those spacers are a lot more expensive than others, even when they might be the same part. Finding the right one at a good price is probably worth a few extra minutes of looking.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #20
poolplayer1

Instead of returning the new 2150 carb. back to the seller,I decided to order a gasket that would fit the 2150 carburetor.It came in yesterday. I installed the new gasket and mounted the new carb. I fired the engine up and it stays running now,will not die like it used to. After putting everything back together,I hooked up my mighty vac gauge to do the idle screw adjustment and when I got done,the engine is running great. I want to thank dmsfrr,Kultuz, and all the other great auto techs here for all your suggestions ,tips,and opinions on this issue.Its greatly apreciated.