Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
wamnram

Default Shipping small part from US to Canada

Whats the cheapest way to ship a small part (6" by 6" x 4" and 1/2lb) from the US to Canada? Not in a hurry just want it to get there.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Shipping small part from US to Canada

Priority mail is best W/insur. You still have to fill out all the paper work as if it was 10 times as big and weighted 20 lbs. Try to get a USA drop point so he can PU in the states.?? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
wamnram

Thanks Ken!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Barlea

US Post is best, the big couriers are the worst, they will rip off the recipient big bucks for brokerage. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Ronnie

Us postal service is great to Canada I've rec'd lots of stuff hassle free.You could declare it as a gift and thats all there is to it.Not difficult at all.

R
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
rick r

Agree with Ronnie. If they don't ship by U S mail ,I don't buy
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Bob T

U.S.P.S. is all I use when shipping to Canada. Usually no G.S.T. or $6.00 handling fee collected. Just left at door or if insured have to pick up at postal outlet.Oversize or to heavy items I have shipped to CBI [U.S. adress service].
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Ralph Moore

Careful though, I ordered a seatbelt from California, USPS, the seatbelt was 39.00. When it arrived shipping was 39.00., which made the seatbelt cost $78.00. Now this was a small package, one seatbelt. So I looked and it was Express, so I call and ask them why they sent Express and they claimed it was because it was the only way they could track it. I raised the BS flag because it could have fit in a $14.95 priority box with $1.95 tracking. They said, well that's the only way we do it. I'll be looking for another source for future seatbelt orders.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Bob T

you are correct Ralph. Make sure you know the cost of shipping prior. I had that problem with 'Speedway'.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
deuce lover

8oz pkg can go first class to Canada and is reasonable,but not insurable.Just go on the USPS website yourself and you will be able to get a rate.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
wamnram

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Randy in ca

"First Class Mail International" is the cheapest way to send anything under 4 lbs to Canada - there are also some size restrictions, but they rarely apply - the size you're dealing with easily qualifies and would cost about $4 to send. It's a little slower sometimes, but small packages rarely take more than about 10 days. Insurance can be purchased and you can also register the package for additional cost. I've used this method a lot and have never insured or registered the package, and have never had a problem.

The Customs forms vary depending on the declared value of the item - none of them take more than about a minute to complete. Anything declared under $20 valuation is tax and duty free, anything valued more than this is subject to small sales taxes and a $5 processing fee charged by Canada Post. This is were the couriers really gouge the recipient - their processing fees for Customs clearance are absurd - especially to be avoided is UPS.

If you're smart you will NOT declare the item as a GIFT (unless it really is). The Customs people are not stupid, have seen it all, and you can get into a lot of trouble by making a false declaration. I don't recall the exact valuation limit for gifts that allow them to be received free of taxes etc., but it's something like $75.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Randy in ca; 08-14-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
oldrelics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
"First Class Mail International" is the cheapest way to send anything under 4 lbs to Canada - there are also some size restrictions, but they rarely apply - the size you're dealing with easily qualifies and would cost about $4 to send. It's a little slower sometimes, but small packages rarely take more than about 10 days. Insurance can be purchased and you can also register the package for additional cost. I've used this method a lot and have never insured or registered the package, and have never had a problem.

The Customs forms vary depending on the declared value of the item - none of them take more than about a minute to complete. Anything declared under $20 valuation is tax and duty free, anything valued more than this is subject to small sales taxes and a $5 processing fee charged by Canada Post. This is were the couriers really gouge the recipient - their processing fees for Customs clearance are absurd - especially to be avoided is UPS.

If you're smart you will NOT declare the item as a GIFT (unless it really is). The Customs people are not stupid, have seen it all, and you can get into a lot of trouble by making a false declaration. I don't recall the exact valuation limit for gifts that allow them to be received free of taxes etc., but it's something like $75.

Hope this helps some.

I second this....this is the way.
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
41ford1

USPS is the cheapest way. Check it out: http://postcalc.usps.com/
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote