Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
nohelp

Default pro or con HEI

I have been looking at the HEI systems they sell ones bay for two hundred eleven and change with a chrome coil. I know nothing about them except what I have read about them They look good on paper but I want to know how they run in the real world.I would like to know if you need to open the spark gap up like you do on the Protrics. Any comments good or bad would be welcome to help me make up my mind Thanks in advance .No Help
nohelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Black Fifty

Default Re: pro or con HEI

Hate to admit it, but it's a really good ignition system. You'd need to supply twelve volts to the cap, just in case you have a six volt car.

What's the application? Why are you looking at those?
Mike
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
DougE

What is your engine? You can get a decent HEI for around $100. A large, black cap HEI with the integral coil basically disappears when installed.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

They are easy and reliable...if you don´t go for the cheap modules that burn out in a blink leaving you stranded.
Downside a not to appealing lump of plastic making any period correct person cry...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
tubman

The "pro", of course is a hotter spark.

There are two "cons" : The first, it is not original to the car (which can make a BIG difference to many of us). The second problem with them is that when they die, they almost always die immediately, leaving you stranded, often at the most inconvenient times.

A conventional points system will usually start deteriorating slowly, giving you ample notice that you need to do some maintenance. If you are into a high performance oe a high annual mileage situation, they can be an advantage. For a "hobby car", they are not required, and the chance of an unexpected, immediate failure far outweigh any positive factors. A stock (or close to it) flathead Ford does NOT need that hot of a spark. In some cases, it may even be disadvantageous. I had an MSD "Ready to Run" distributor and 6AL box on a 276" '50 Merc in my '36 25 years ago. The spark produced by that thing was so hot that it would literally eat through the coil tower in a month or two, requiring cap replacement. There is a thread on the "H.A.M.B." right now where a guy with an MSD on a flathead is looking into installing Iridium spark plugs because the MSD is literally eating the existing plugs alive. An ignition system has to be viewed as a whole system, not just pieces and parts. When you start pushing all of that "juice" through the system, something has got to give. In the case of the guy on the "H.A.M.B.", it was the plugs; in my case it was the cap. (In case anyone is wondering, I was running marine "surface gap" plugs, designed for HEI ignitions.)

There is nothing wrong with a conventional points ignition. Unless you are running ridiculously high cylinder pressure (impossible in a flathead) you won't see any difference in performance with an HEI. The only other advantage is longevity, but with the annual mileage most of our cars get, that's just not a factor. Doing a tune up every 10 to 20 years is good for the soul and helps keep your wits sharp.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
What is your engine? You can get a decent HEI for around $100. A large, black cap HEI with the integral coil basically disappears when installed.
Doug, you're supposed to use a "big grin" or "sarcastic" "Smilie" when making a funny remark like that.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Robert61

I initially machined down an HEI to fit the project we are working on. To me it was too gaudy to have that huge head sticking up. So the owner bought a flat cap MSD for a chevy. I machined it to fit and wired it to an HEI module, external. That way if he has any issue with it on a road trip he can simply plug a new one in and go. I thought this looked way better. Most here don't think that matters anyway because they say I've ruined yet another model a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.JPG (73.7 KB, 121 views)
Robert61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
woodiewagon46

Just don't purchase the cheap crap from China that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
nohelp

The one I am looking at is the small blue cap dist. with the chrome coil both the dist. and the plug wires say made in U.S,A, I am running a 53 Merc. crank and Offie neads and one 2 barrel carb
Old 02-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
tubman

There is a special paint for plastics that you can use to paint the blue cap black. I have done it a couple of times and it worked well. Depending on the kind of car, it sounds like you need a "Super" dual, a couple of the new 97's, and a vintage Mallory "flattop". But that's just me.

If the two barrel is a 2G, it's acceptable on a car with a hood.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Fordestes

Buy a Re-built or salvage O.E.M , H.E.I for a 500 c.i. Cadillac and have someone on the barn machine it to fit , a better unit than the china junk and a hell of a lot more dependable. I have several out there still working good , you will need to re-curve it to work good in your Merc. I would do it for you but I am in the process of sorting out 60+ years worth of plunder. Make sure the dist. is for a non computer engine when you order it, there will be a vacuum advance on it . the last one I got from Rock auto .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Tubman’s reply is right on!!! Hei really isn’t needed on a flatbed spend the money somewhere else on the engine project , like adding some cubic inches !!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
nohelp

I understand what you are saying not needed on a Flathead but it will give you a hotter spark then the original dist. and coil will also it is a bit cheaper than a cut down brand x dist,will. I will without a doubt carry with me the org. dist. just in case. I had always heard that the original dist. and coil was one of the week spots on a flat motor As for extra c. i. I dont need a car for the track just something to carry me down thee road at about 70 m.p.h. it is bored 30 over and I am running a od. One question plug gap 35 or 45?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
Fordestes

I have in some cases wired the ford blue tab module into the Reluctor style systems in lieu of the factory modules and been ok, I use the blue tab modules as a pulse amplifier on my Sun distributor machine and test the ford ,Chrysler and G.M Distributors without any problems .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
tubman

If you want it, go for it; it's your car and won't hurt anything.

Just do me a favor and paint that blue cap black; a guy can only take so much.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #16
Phil Gillespie

I like the Chev Delco Remy distribtor with vaccum advance unit as supplied by Charlie NY.
They are a very versitile unit when fitted up with adjustable Mech Advance, the cap is already black and being smaller than HEI they look good in situ.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #17
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
I like the Chev Delco Remy distribtor with vaccum advance unit as supplied by Charlie NY.
They are a very versitile unit when fitted up with adjustable Mech Advance, the cap is already black and being smaller than HEI they look good in situ.
Phil NZ

Me too. The large cap HEI just looks too out of place for my tastes. The modified standard Chevy or Cadillac points units fit nicely and look the part.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #18
Talkwrench

Personally I like HEI and Ive even used a cheap Ching chong one that I just swapped out the module for a proper Bosch one and coil on my Cuda. Yes full 12 volts , yes open up the gap, they're normally over .060 . But as Jim and Tubman said Its really not a big requirement on a low compression flathead. Im just running a Speedway electronic one thats been in for 7 years now , daily driving .
Old 02-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #19
nohelp

Smile Re: pro or con HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you want it, go for it; it's your car and won't hurt anything.

Just do me a favor and paint that blue cap black; a guy can only take so much.
I thought about it but I am a little on the lazy side so I will tell everyone this is a rare piece from Fords racking collection developed by Mercy outboard motor when they were invoked with NASCAR. It matches the big blue oval of Ford/ I have in my car a quartz clock runs on a double A battery. I tell everyone it was a assessor offered that year like the crest liner steering wheel. Not a true story but a good story.However I always tell them the truth about it and we both get a good chuckle out of it.