Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Rparker28

Default 1929 Town Sedan barn find progress!

Just wanted to give everybody an update on the progress I have made on my 29 barn find. I have had her almost 3 weeks now and I have gotten some things done that I am happy about. Cylinder 1 and 4 were stuck as best I could tell and now just cylinder one. I ordered the model a engine turning tool from snyders and I hope that gets me where I need to be(she is still soaking) with cylinder one. When I get the tool it will be up for loaning if anyone needs. I bought a battery and now I have lights,both high and low beams. I replaced all the gaskets and bulbs on the headlights and cowl lights. They all work now because at first they did not. I had to work with the wiring and such. The horn did not work and I took it apart and watched a YouTube video and now it works! The gas tank is ready as well as the sediment bowl and fuel valve. Tailight works now with the bulb replacement. I flushed the radiator and felt good about it because nothing but clear water was coming out of it till I filled it to the top and it started leaking at the top of the fins in the center from top to bottom. I will have to figure that out. All in all I feel like I have made good gains on getting her back on the road. Plugs,coil,radiator hoses etc...etc have been bought and are ready to be installed. It is a long post but I wanted every body to know where I was on the project,Ralph
Rparker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
J Wade

Default Re: 1929 Town Sedan barn find progress!

Good to hear your making progress. Keep us informed
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Gunmetal blue2

I love it when a plan comes together lol good luck let us know how thing are going and post pics so we can also see the progress.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Rparker28

Thanks guys........Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Rparker28

Pulled the wiper mechanism today and lubed it and got the vacuum hose off. Going to get new hose picked up Thursday. I noticed that it was stamped KOX on the body of the wiper. Does anyone know what that means? How would I test the wiper mechanism off the car? Ralph
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
barnstuf

KOX is probably the vacuum wiper Trico number. I have an incomplete Trico wiper Specification booklet which while incomplete has the applicable Ford numbers and your number is not listed in the Ford section, nor is it listed in the Judging Standards.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

Not to throw cold water on you, but my 30 Briggs is seven years in the making and I still cannot see daylight. It was pretty bad when i got it. But it's my first mod A restoration and I would do some things differently if I was starting over. And I also have two coupes that need repairing from time to time. If you'd like to see it go to my profile, the to the album "My A" There's over a hundred pictures. Enjoy!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Rparker28

I looked at the markings again and they are KCX 1. I mistook the c for an o. Ralph
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
Rparker28

I hear you.......mine is definitely a work in progress and so I work on something different each time I get to work on it. I got all the doors locking except passenger side so that was a victory. I got the wiper motor cleaned up today and I will get new vacuum hose Thursday and reinstall. It is a labor of love and when I am going down the road it will be worth it all. Good luck on yours! Ralph
Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #10
Aerocraft

I'm sure we all would enjoy seeing pictures of your barn find..........
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Rparker28

When I get home tonight I will try to put together an album. I saw last night where someone had put one together and it looked good,Ralph
Old 06-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
Rparker28

Just uploaded some photos of my barn find to my albums on my profile,Ralph
Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Smurkey

That looks awesome! Just finished the same car about three years ago. Murray, 1929.

As for the windshield wiper motor, it should be electric not vacuum. Let me know if you need any tips or tricks on that one...there are a few.

P.S. It goes quicker than you think once you get cracking.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
Rparker28

Thanks for looking at the pictures.....the wiper on mine is definitely vacuum operated. I don't know if someone changed the motor out or not but it is held to the window frame by one screw. There is a stem that comes inside the car that you pull out to start the vacuum and it has a nut on it that also secures it to the window frame. I will take a picture Saturday and post it for you to look at,Ralph
Old 06-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
Smurkey

You inspired me to upload a few pics of my car's "journey." Check them out, maybe give you some inspiration.

Take lots of pics if you're going to dismantle. Me, I kinda like them old and whipped...a driveable dream, so to speak.

I'm a little biased but I think they're the classiest Model A you can find...
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
Rparker28

I absolutely agree! Your pictures are fantastic! I went to a mustang show today with my mustang and won 3rd place in my class. Guess what won first place in its class? A well worn Model A........Yeah!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparker28 View Post
I absolutely agree! Your pictures are fantastic! I went to a mustang show today with my mustang and won 3rd place in my class. Guess what won first place in its class? A well worn Model A........Yeah!
At any car show I've been to it is the "well worn" cars that attract the public.
I have a friend who took his 1950's Morris Minor to an all British car show. Turns out he was parked next to a Rolls of similar age, the owner of which fussed and bothered over the car polishing and dusting endlessly. My friend simply threw open the doors, bonnet and boot and sat back in a fold up chair and spoke with members of the crowd that gathered. Later in the day, the Rolls owner came over to him saying he couldn't understand why so many people were gathered at his car while very few bothered with his. Friend asked the other guy to listen to what people were saying. Comments were "I learned to drive in a car like this" "Mum or aunty so and so had a car like this" "My first car was one of these". Friend asked the Roller guy "How many can say things like that about a car like yours?"
Everybody has had an "old" car in their life at some stage and so can relate to such a well worn car.
Just MHO
Old 06-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #18
Rparker28

I have struggled to some degree about whether to restore mine or just get it safe and running. There are some beautiful restorations out there and an absolute labor of love and I applaud the folks who have and are doing that. Thier attention to detail and determination to use period correct parts and such is inspiring. These people at the car show today(including me) were all over that car before the man knew what hit him. I may change my mind but I think that I will get mine running and safe and then drive the heck out of it and expose as many people as I can. What I saw at the car show today with that model a amongst cars that cost up to 70k and the draw it had on these hot rod people was amazing! I want some of that and I am glad I had the good sense to buy one for myself.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #19
barnstuf

My Trico chart covers 1931 thru 1942. Wiper CX 1 with optional KCX 1 as a replacement is listed for 1931 closed car, drivers side. As my chart does not go back to 1929 I can not comment on its 1929 correctness, but my 1930 Coupe has a KCX 1 whereas my former 1929 Town Sedan made in August 1929 had an electric wiper as original equipment.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:40 AM   #20
Rparker28

Well......I am really confused now........I will post a picture today of the wiper motor and the stamping. I know it has been said on here somewhere but how do I determine for sure what year? The number stamped on my engine block is:

Star. A1857035 Star

Ralph