Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2023, 10:01 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default Critique this '34

Many pictures here > https://www.hemmings.com/auction/193...er-475545/sold

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Critique this '34

That doesn't look like near 100k to me, but then again I don't have near 100k to spend on anything so it doesn't really matter.
First quick note is the wrong fuel pump. Others who are more knowledgeable on 34 Fords will likely notice other things.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:00 AM   #3
DavidG

Based on the Early Ford V8 Club judging standards, if the new owner of this coupe were to enter it for judging at a national meet and it was judged accurately and fairly, it would fall below the 950 minimum point threshold for a Dearborn award scoring about 940 points. The big deductions would be for the upholstery in the front (wrong material, wrong color) and in the rumble compartment (wrong color), followed by the wood graining (right color, wrong pattern), spark plugs, front spring clamp, muffler, finish on grille bars, heavy pitting on the underside of all four fenders, wrong fuel/air lines (not siamesed), fuel pump, and wrong finish on the underside of the running boards.

Still, it is a nice car and it would be welcome in my garage. Worth $94K? I don't think so.

Last edited by DavidG; 03-09-2023 at 08:18 AM. Reason: error
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:32 AM   #4
Lawrie

Also , its got the steering on the wrong side,
LOL
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:06 AM   #5
rockfla

Thank you for the lesson in "detail" David. Always teaches me to slow down and look harder!!!! The fuel pump was a glaring one, the spark plugs, for me, not as much!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:39 AM   #6
Oldbluoval

I must defer to David G…but…
Always a “but”…thats just what they go for! Granted the market is a bit soft right now.
Willing buyer/willing seller met!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

I am not anywhere near being in the world of Dearborn judging, but I do find it interesting that David G mentioned how points are deducted for pitting on the underside of the fenders.

Eventually, the supply of perfect or very good OEM fenders is going to dry up.

Would it be better, for judging purposes, to use aftermarket sheet metal and do the work to make them look/fit like OEM or do your best to fix an OEM fender with pitting?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I am not anywhere near being in the world of Dearborn judging, but I do find it interesting that David G mentioned how points are deducted for pitting on the underside of the fenders.

Eventually, the supply of perfect or very good OEM fenders is going to dry up.

Would it be better, for judging purposes, to use aftermarket sheet metal and do the work to make them look/fit like OEM or do your best to fix an OEM fender with pitting?
OR how about doing a little filler work and smoothing them out before painting and priming......It looks like a lot of effort was made to do a good job on the car.....IT wouldn't take much to "FINISH" the job!!!!
Old 03-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Want to have more fun? Critique this car.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-window-coupe/
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
mhsprecher

It sold yesterday for $94K! Holy moly! After 32's the 34's are the holy grail of early Fords, in my opinion.

It's good they provided a lot of pics. It helps make an informed decision. Pet peeve: I hate it when they take pics with the reflection of the photographer in the shot. Can't be avoided sometimes, but in many cases it can be.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible

Last edited by mhsprecher; 03-09-2023 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add more nonsense.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:48 AM   #11
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Want to have more fun? Critique this car.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-window-coupe/
I'll start
Wrong, Intake manifold, fuel pump, carburetor, air breather, NO engine tins, crank hole cover on the grill, fuel "lines" ALL..THUS I would imagine you have NO fuel gauge, cutout "finish", appears to have bolts on the dog bones, cannot tell for sure BUT the front springs appears from what I can see is a 34?? Radiator hose clamps, oil pan should be black, "V8" emblem is too low, rumble seat interior is wrong color, rumble seat floor mat. Wind wings, spark plugs, front bumper looks to be 34, valve stems and appears to have NO valve stem on the spare tire to tell IF its mounted correctly. Painted dash and trim, gas tank should be black, all kinds of modern plated bolts, nuts & washers on front fender mounting, wrong spare tire hub cap, no paint on the V8's on the car.

Last edited by rockfla; 03-09-2023 at 10:39 AM. Reason: additions
Old 03-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
OR how about doing a little filler work and smoothing them out before painting and priming......It looks like a lot of effort was made to do a good job on the car.....IT wouldn't take much to "FINISH" the job!!!!
For a $94K car, I agree 100%. I have a pet peeve for things such hose clamps and other fasteners.

Not sure why, but my I gets drawn to them immediately.

For the underside of fenders, I guess the previous owner had to make a decision as to how far he wanted to go.

I can only assume when faced with the estimate of how much extra it was going to cost of finishing the underside of the fenders, he decided not to.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:21 AM   #13
Seth Swoboda

We're being more particular than the average person, however for the money these guys are asking for these two cars, they better be concourse correct for me.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #14
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
We're being more particular than the average person, however for the money these guys are asking for these two cars, they better be concourse correct for me.
X2 for me too Seth, especially since on the 34 they are tripping all over themselves with the promotion of the awards it garnered, sadly an EFV8 Club "Dearborn" among them!!

Last edited by rockfla; 03-09-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:26 AM   #15
DavidG

I'm not sure that the former or new owner would ever enter that '33 coupe to be judged, except perhaps to help develop a to-do list for its proper restoration. If it were mine, I would remove the body from the frame and first establish the condition of the frame in the sides where the rear X member arms join the side rails. It would be unusual for a frame with that degree of pitting not to have serious rust issues in those two areas. The pitting on the under body and on the frame would have to be removed. The heavy pitting on the axles would be a challenge as to rid the pitting there would end up with them being over-restored.

As Robert notes, the engine compartment is a mess, from the spark plugs, their wires, the heads, the engine pans, the oil pan, the fuel and gauge air lines, the intake manifold and just about everything attached to it.

The upholstery in the front compartment is okay assuming it is a true Bedford cord (can't tell for sure from the photos), but that in the rumble compartment is way off color wise. There's no wood graining and the finish on the instrument panel is terrible. It has a '34 ammeter, not a '33. The plating on the shift lever and hand brake is incorrect. There should be no boot on top of the shift lever housing and spring clips to retain the floor mat around the opening in the center of the floor are missing. The molding around the top insert appears to be something other than the original.

The rumble lid set up is that of a roadster with the latch handle on the lid, not remotely controlled from inside as it should be in a '33-'34 coupe. The hood tops seems to want to wave at you when you walk by.

The battery carrier is a mess. The bars on the grille are both pitted and the wrong finish (and the V8 emblem is misplaced). The ring on the spare tire cover is that of a '34, not that of a '33. No double WSW tires and no front axle bumper. Dozens and dozens of incorrect fasteners, at least as to their finish.

Those are just the obvious high (low) lights. No doubt there are more.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
rockfla

David
Is the front bumper NOT 34??? Bolt spacing?? Shouldn't the 33 bolts fall somewhere in a relative line between the grill sides and the horn??? 34's outboard of the outside edges of the horns??
Old 03-09-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
DavidG

Robert,

That was my initial reaction as well, but I think that the camera is misleading here. If you look closely and image '34 bumper guards on the bumper, they would be tilted to the center because of the beginning of the dip in the bumper. Also, the overhead view suggests that the inner front bumper brackets are '33s and not '34s.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #18
T Scott

The visors with the single swivel hinge on one side, is that correct or was that unique to the 3 window as opposed to the 5 window?
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:40 PM   #19
the.secret.victoria

Aren't the rumble seat cars supposed to have a cloth circular cover over the rear axle rather than a steel cover? It appears both these cars have steel covers.
* Sedan or Victoria roof tack strip (OEM or aftermarket)
* Straight commercial (pickup) bumper '33/'34 or '35 (46-17757 or 68-17757)
the.secret.victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:18 PM   #20
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
The visors with the single swivel hinge on one side, is that correct or was that unique to the 3 window as opposed to the 5 window?
TMK all 34 deluxe's had the single swivel hinge sunvisors.A '34 Vic I restored in 1969 had them.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote