Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #21
rockfla

Default Re: 1935-1936 Ford Model 51 Trucks - New Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
Dave, one motivation for me to write the book is to document and preserve all I know about these trucks. I worry that there may be some folks out there who know as much or more about other truck years but since we are all getting older, the knowledge dies with them.
I know I've learned so much from many others who took the time to write down what they know and share it, like you have with the 1932 book. Hopefully others will enjoy my book and use it as a reference.
Maybe there's a truck, or pickup truck, guy out there who is willing to take on another book in the EFV8 Club series. I certainly hope so.
Dave, or in my case, my special interest is European Semi-Custom/Custom Fords and would love to do a book....Unfortunately Me and about 3 other people share my interest and buy a book!!! PLUS a lot of my pictures are what I would call black market SO not sure just how or IF I could use them for publication!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #22
Model51

Just so you know, I started my book project about 5 years ago and had the same starting point as you may have. Slowly, over time, I began to accumulate more and more information. I bet finding information on European Ford vehicles is challenging. I have an appendix on non-US Model 51 production and all I could find was about six pages of information.
In the end, you might be surprised what you discover. Also, maybe it's not a "book" but rather an article or series of articles which you can share. I'm sure many folks would be interested in reading about this topic. Even me, while my passion is Model 51 trucks, I love reading about all aspects of Ford products, especially something really "foreign".
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #23
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
Dave, one motivation for me to write the book is to document and preserve all I know about these trucks. I worry that there may be some folks out there who know as much or more about other truck years but since we are all getting older, the knowledge dies with them.
I know I've learned so much from many others who took the time to write down what they know and share it, like you have with the 1932 book. Hopefully others will enjoy my book and use it as a reference.
Maybe there's a truck, or pickup truck, guy out there who is willing to take on another book in the EFV8 Club series. I certainly hope so.
What ever happened to all the research and information that was previously obtained for the 35/36 Pickup book? I know someone ended up with all this information.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #24
DavidG

It still exists in good hands, but it's not in the same league as the information Dave developed for his Model 51 book. "All" might be two chapters' worth, which is far short of "enough".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #25
Model51

There is a fair amount of information in the Model 51 book which applies to the Model 50 and 67 pickups and some of the other 1935 and 1936 commercial cars.

I haven't seen the information gathered for the pickup book, however, if there is someone out there willing to put in the time and effort to pick up the pieces and create a 1935-1936 pickup book, I am willing to share the information from my book for that effort.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:39 PM   #26
OldGold360

I would like to see a book specific to the 35-36 pickups made available. I have had so many questions that could have been easily answered if a well written book had been at my disposal. Fortunately this forum and friends have always been there help. I think the proposed book should not only show what was correct for the two models, but also cover restoration as well. I do not claim to be a writer but I would certainly entertain taking a crack at creating this book. I only say this because I have learned so much about these pickups during the restoration of my personal pickup. I have tried to help make repair parts available for the repair and restoration of the 35-37 pickups. Plus I know I can count on the members here to help assist me with and questions or missing information pertaining to these pickups. Honestly, I’m surprised nobody has yet published a book specific to 35 and 36 pickups. Something to consider anyways.

I do look forward to reading thru the Model 51 book. Thanks for making this available.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #27
DavidG

I agree that it is somewhat surprising that no one has raised their hand on the subject of the '35-'36, but as Dave has indicated, tackling one of these books, is not for the faint of heart. I note that you reside in Washington state which puts you at a disadvantage given how distant the Benson Ford Research Center is from you (and a thorough treatment of the subject cannot be accomplished without having backed up your observations with the original engineering drawings and release forms).

While some may disagree with its policy, the Club does not pay the expenses, travel or otherwise, necessary to educate potential authors on their chosen subject.

If the above does not discourage you, may I suggest that you pull together a CV and address it to either Dave or myself and we'll pursue your interest within the Club on a preliminary basis.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:40 PM   #28
OldGold360

I may not have the Benson Research Center at my disposal but I do not think that should discourage me or anybody else from taking on this project. Maybe the thought that one must spend countless hours at the Benson Ford Research Center to make it possible to write this book is what has discouraged those that have thought about writing it. I’m not saying I’m going to write the book but I think if someone comes along with the desire to do so we should encourage it and those of us that are passionate about these pickups should provide whatever help we can. Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do these books need to go thru the club? Forgive me, I’m just not familiar with their involvement in the recent books.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:10 PM   #29
DavidG

Anyone can self-publish a book these days, no backing required. However, there is the cost and hassle of printing them and storing them if one desires to have hard copies of their work. Or they can be completely digital.

There's nothing that compels any prospective author to use the Club's resources to create a work of their own making. However, having the Club backing in a technical book project carries with it peer review of drafts, access to members who have extensive experience formatting and working with printers, financial support by funding the printing cost and the cost of maintaining an inventory of the books, and advertising in their magazine. Further, the 7,000 Club members worldwide are a resource by themselves and its rosters include the vehicles owned by those members which can be additional sources of information.

With respect, how can any book of this type be the go-to source for accurate information without consulting Ford engineering, photographic, and production files? I've seen a lot in my time, but I am very confident that I haven't seen it all.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:54 AM   #30
frnkeore

There is a wealth of very, very detailed, basic info on all models of cars and trucks, from '32 - '37 in "Ford V8 Cars and Trucks" by Victor Page. '37 well as, '40, '48 & '50 upgraded editions.

I believe this book was backed by Ford, in some way, because of it's excellent detail. There is a few of them on Ebay, right now.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #31
Model51

One big challenge to writing a book, like those already published by the EFV8, is completing the level of detail and accuracy we all want. Had I known how much work and effort is required to do a through job, I'd never would have started. For example, I discovered that there are eight different gas tanks for 1935 and 1936 Model 51 trucks each requiring different parts (seat brackets for example) and time to write them all up and provide illustrations. There are four distinct door designs for 35-36 trucks and the list of versions and variations goes on and on. Another example is that Ford produced 24 different body and frame combinations each year for Model 51 trucks, so that's 48 models to at least make sure are considered. Each one takes time to investigate, document and write up.

Pickups don't have as many variations, but there's the drive-away pickup chassis, closed cab drive-away pickup chassis and closed cab front end drive away chassis to go along with the standard pickup body style. The amount of work is proportional to how much detail one wants to include.

DavidG knows all about this process and like he mentioned, it's all on your own time and nickel.
My opinion is that a quality book just can't be done without time at the Benson Ford Research Center archives, which unfortunately are indefinitely closed.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #32
OldGold360

This is why I was inquiring about the info previously obtained for the 35-36 pickup book. If a lot of this information has already been compiled and someone has a good example of a 35 and 36 pickup, I believe that would be enough to put together a book, at least a restoration manual anyways. Especially if the Research Center is closed. Some of us don’t need to know every single option when restoring these vehicles, although it is interesting. I was only considering it since nobody else seems to be stepping up. Hopefully someone will write the book before everyone with this information is no longer with us and I think we should encourage and help anyone that comes along with the thought of doing so.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:40 PM   #33
DavidG

There may be some confusion here between what kind of books the Club offers, such as Dave and I are referring to, and what you have in mind. While it is semantics, there is a fundamental difference between books detailing how the vehicles were when produced and books on how to restore a vehicle in the hands-on sense. My interpretation of your latest post is that you are referring to the latter type of book while Dave and I are referring to the former type of book, especially if what you have in mind is not a restoration in the strictest, as-built form, but rather a functional restoration, not as built.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #34
OldGold360

I was referring to “as built” since I am very interested in how they were built. I do understand what you’re saying and it is fascinating to see how these vintage vehicles were built. I also think that the same book can provide additional info and answer all the same questions, and more, that I have had during the restoration of my ‘36 pickup. Whether it is two separate books or all complied into one, both can provide equally valuable information. For most of us restoring one of the early vehicles, all the technical information and documents won’t do us any good if we do not know how to properly use it. I guess it just depends on what the reader hopes to get out of reading such a book. I understand, or at least I think I do, how much work these books can take and how much time they can consume, but if we were so concerned with time and hard work, we have no business restoring these old Ford’s. Of course, this is all just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #35
Model51

I hear you. I decided to write my book as a way to pass along what I've learned (in written form instead of just in my head) and to help me make sure my restoration is as accurate as I can make it and to make compromises knowingly.
The books the EFV8 Club sells are primarily descriptions of how they cars were built - parts, materials, finishes, etc.
I also collected information on how to repair and maintain my truck, and continue to do so. It's a harder job, in my opinion, to pull together the repair and maintenance information into a book. Most of the systems span multiple years and vehicles. It would be great to have a pre-war Ford maintenance and repair book with all the tips I read on Ford Barn. Maybe someone will pick up the torch ?????
Old 01-02-2023, 05:03 PM   #36
Model51

Here's a list off the top of my head of information in my truck book which should apply to pickups of the same vintage: doors, windows, windshield, seat, glovebox, instruments, ignition system, engine, hood, grille, headlights.
Stuff that is probably not common: transmission and drive line, axles, frame, springs, fenders, bumpers, body (after the cab), steering gear and wheel, fuel tank, running boards, wheels and tires, hubcaps.
Neither list is complete, but gives a general idea. All the stuff that's not common will need full attention. The common stuff would be much easier to convert into a pickup book.
Just fun to think about. Nothing hard or impossible, just a lot of work and determination is required.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:11 PM   #37
OldGold360

I too have been collecting as much information as I can on the 35-36 pickups as well as some info I have learned on my own while tearing everything apart, especially while completely disassembling the bed. Information that could be valuable to someone doing the same thing. This forum is a good place for information though when a book does not exist, and I have learned a lot here. I really am looking forward to receiving your book. Congrats on finishing it and thank you for writing it!

Last edited by OldGold360; 01-02-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #38
sugarmaker

Folks,
Slightly off the topic of books. I was checking another forum ( Allis Chalmers forum) and found a new poster the has 1935 Ford truck. I have invited him to come over here and join in too.
Also I need to make sure friend Robert R. In Wyoming gets one of Dave's truck books to go with his big trucks!
Regards
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:04 PM   #39
Model51

OldGold360 - I hope you enjoy the book and keep collecting information too!

Sugarmaker - Thanks for spreading the word on my book. Us truck guys need to keep the flame alive! Send to anyone who might be interested the order form link as that's the best way (the only way right now) to order a copy.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/images/u...mo%20flyer.pdf
Old 01-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #40
rockfla

Then there is "ME" and my interest in European built Fords AND 39/40 Mercury's the first being me solely (I believe) and the latter, losing what little knowledgeable people we have on the subject and or example cars leaving someone like me, once again solely in existence....IN a sense of wanting to have a book comparable to David & Dave's fine work.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote