Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Engine Temp

At what tempeture can a person expect the cooling system to be running at with a properly maintained cooling system and say outside tempeture being say in the 80's not that it would ever get to 80 in Wisconsin !! LOL

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Engine Temp

Depends on a lot of factors - what kind of radiator do you have (round or flat tube, brass or steel, etc.), if you have a low or high head, pulling hills or flatland driving, etc...

I'll give you my example. On my '15 Touring, low head, hi-top pistons, Winfield carb, stock timer and valves, and good compression, driving conservatively around town it runs around 180-190, give or take, with an ambient temp of 70 degrees or thereabouts. Warmer days it gets around 200 or so, and add hills, like going home (I live near the summit of the Oakland hills in California) ... well, It'll get to the point where it will boil a 50/50 antifreeze-water mix (tho not too bad). Remember, too, my car has stuff on it that gives me higher compression, so it's more likely to boil than a car that is "bonestock".