Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2023, 12:18 AM   #1
Brentwood Bob

Default Turlock swap 2023

My experience was positive at the swap this year. Saturday was where the majority of guys looked at the shocks, asked questions, and got an explaination of my experience to date reworking the hydraulic shocks.
Sunday am I looked at the burtz block, and in the same building met Dennis Cling, and also Sam Guthrie, of Arizona Model A, next to clings booth.
Guthrie showed me an English made Hydraulic shock he carries. A
Beautiful Shock! The price was right in my opinion.
The weather turned, and with a smaller crowd, and a thinning out of sellers I didn't see much interest the second day, and I got to finally see some of the other sellers parts.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:30 AM   #2
SHEC

Default Re: Turlock swap 2023

Thanks Brentwood Bob
I wasn’t able to make Turlock this year only the second miss for me since 1967…. Personally it is my health - should say declining health situation. We did meet last year and I was pleased to see your update.
I have a couple of buddies that went so I’ll catch up with them also.
Last year I specifically went to meet and see Mr. Burtz and his crew. Finally got to lay eyes on the engine and was not disappointed at all. Nice gentleman like yourself so that is always a pleasure.
All the best - ✔️
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

Great encounters. SHEC, I think you just got a bad motel last year. Hope you can make the next. Met some good people there.
I tend to get a little windy when I talk about the current project. Most were polite.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 01-31-2023 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
quickchange

Bob , You been mixing with some fine people there,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #5
P.S.

Was good to see you Bob, even if it was only a few seconds. I still want to collaborate on a video with you. That would be awesome!

It was a great swap, even though Tina and I were stuck working north gate for 90% of it. We worked our butts off, barely got any sleep, wore our bodies out, froze our toes off, had our eardrums blasted by dozens of trains, and can't wait to do it again next year.

I missed Sammy, but had an awesome conversation with Steve Mitchell (look for a video soon). Met Jack from Jack's Garage Coffee Company (video about Jack's Coffee Model A collection is now being planned) Model A guy who makes and sells high quality but affordable coffee, just like Henry Ford would. Spotted Dennis K. when I was in a hurry through building 2 and took a minute to check out his adjustable pressure oil filter attachment for the Burtz blocks. Wow! What a work of art. Got to talk with the California Historical Radio Society guys a little. Love old radios! All the rest of the time was spent working to make the event possible.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:13 PM   #6
Brentwood Bob

Pms sent.
P.S. And Chris.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 01-31-2023 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
JayJay

This was my first time at the Turlock Swap Meet, and I was very impressed at the organization that the Modesto A's put into making it a success (P.S. and his lovely bride were "manning" the vendor entrance early on Saturday). Clearly marked spaces, wide accesses, plenty of help around to assist us newbies. All in all a class act. (Maybe next year set up some more coffee vendors...)

I was quite surprised at the number of Chevy folks there - both vintage and hot rod. I was especially impressed to see that there were several chrome plating vendors there, given that getting chrome plating done in California is getting more and more difficult (thank you, enviro-weenies). Most of these guys were there either for bumpers or for show cars. And I grant that the Model A hobby is contracting, but it took a lot of walking around to find the Model A parts guys. I was told that some years there are more Model A guys than others. I was able to find most of the parts I was looking for, and the ones I didn't find I can wait on.

I made a pass through everything, and my iPhone showed 7+ miles and 22,500+ steps! Lugging around a backpack full of iron and steel parts, I was a tired camper at the end of the day. Next year I will take a wagon. Brentwood B, I'm not sure whether I met up with you or not, I did talk to one guy who was focusing on shocks and carburetors, and was specifically looking for shock cores, so that may have been you.

All in all, definitely a repeat.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 01-31-2023 at 09:21 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:04 PM   #8
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Brentwood B, I'm not sure whether I met up with you or not, I did talk to one guy who was focusing on shocks and carburetors, and was specifically looking for shock cores, so that may have been you.
If that wasn't Bob, he needs to track that guy down.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Jay jay, we talked, I would bet on it. If the encounter was on the grass, it was I.
I know one vendor that had a lot of good parts, and I got a part year's supply of cores from him.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:43 PM   #10
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Jay jay, we talked, I would bet on it. If the encounter was on the grass, it was I.
I know one vendor that had a lot of good parts, and I got a year's supply of cores from him.
Yeah, it was on the grass, on Saturday in the afternoon. The person I spoke with was working out of the back of his truck, and the items were in boxes with hinged and locking lids. Boxes had wire mesh sides if I remember correctly. We discussed filling in the pitted shock shafts with weld material and turning them down to get a good sealing surface. I sent him/you(?) over to another vendor who had a bunch of shock cores that he was getting rid of.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself. Always nice to put a face to an online encounter.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 01-31-2023, 01:58 PM   #11
Brentwood Bob

The steel mesh boxes allow me some security, and items organized. Well worth my time to make them. Your tip on the cores, along with another spotter were just in time. Made my day. And filled my wagon.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
The steel mesh boxes allow me some security, and items organized. Well worth my time to make them. Your tip on the cores, along with another spotter were just in time. Made my day. And filled my wagon.
Glad it worked out for you, Bob. Have a good one.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan