Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
HalcyonDays

Default Seat Springs

I am in the process of upholstering.

One or two of the coil springs in the drivers seat cushion have broken. The upholstery shop is recommending I replace the individual broke springs but cannot find a source for them. I have found the complete cushion spring set in both Snyder's and Bratton's catalogs.

Questions: 1.) has anyone had experience replacing individual coil springs in a seat cushion? If so where did you find the springs?
2.) Would it be better to just replace the whole seat cushion? If so is there a difference between Snyders and Brattons cushions.

Other options?
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Seat Springs

Snyders actually manufactures the springs. You can hunt around swap meets and look for a spring unit or maybe someones is selling a box of stuff. You might contact Snyders and ask if they will sell individual coils.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
WHN

I would replace the whole seat. If one or two are broken, you could be looking at more down the road. 90 plus years old.

I bought ours from Mac’s. Fit right, very firm. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I would replace the whole seat. If one or two are broken, you could be looking at more down the road. 90 plus years old.

I bought ours from Mac’s. Fit right, very firm. Enjoy.
I agree, since a new set from Snyder's is relatively inexpensive and will last your lifetime.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
I am in the process of upholstering.

One or two of the coil springs in the drivers seat cushion have broken. The upholstery shop is recommending I replace the individual broke springs but cannot find a source for them. I have found the complete cushion spring set in both Snyder's and Bratton's catalogs.

Questions: 1.) has anyone had experience replacing individual coil springs in a seat cushion? If so where did you find the springs?
2.) Would it be better to just replace the whole seat cushion? If so is there a difference between Snyders and Brattons cushions.

Other options?

Snyders is the manufacturer of seat springs. The diameter size of the wire in the spring is not the same diameter as original. You ill not be happy replacing one coil with a reproduction coil. I have many broken original springs that we 'pirate' springs from when we are restoring original springs. Ask local club members if they have an old seat spring laying around to get one from.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

You don't say if its a Tudor or Fordor. I made a spring for my Town Sedan from a bed spring and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize at the time, but the bedspring has smaller coils , but more of them. People weigh more today and I think the old coils just don't support 200+lbs so good. Also, I know that you can get individual coils because I have some. When a local upholstery guy was closing his shop , he was giving a lot of stuff away and I got some of it. I don't know what your capabilities are but you would need a MIG welder and some long pieces of 1/8 inch rod. You can get away with using old campaign sign frames. I tried to post pictures of what I did but it's not clear how to do it and they failed' Go to the album, "My A' and you see them in there.
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 09-25-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote