Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Daniel Wilkerson

Default wiring

My wiring is a nightmare. P.O. did a hack job. I need to start over. Can anyone tell me of a complete wiring harness or which of the many partial harnesses I need. 30 model Fordor. Briggs. Thanks
Daniel Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: wiring

All the major suppliers have wiring harnesses available. Snyders and Brattons are just two of many. Brattons.com or Snydersantiqueauto.com
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
burner31

Remember, solder and good clean grounds are your best friends
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
History

I've only replaced the harness for the lights, brake switch and horn, super easy.

I will get around to the rest but for now it looks pretty good. I'm surprised my car hadn't already burnt with all of the exposed/naked wire.

I'd call one of the suppliers and speak with someone if you're not sure. I got mine from Snyders.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

The two important wiring harnesses that allow the car to run is the dash to terminal box and the terminal box to engine harness . These harnesses are low cost and simple to install . Usually the catalog that you would buy from will have a wiring diagram that shows where to connect the color coded wires . The car will run without the headlamp and horn harness . The headlamp and horn wiring harness is more difficult and most would be better off to just buy the harness rather than trying to make the harness themselves .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Badpuppy

There are two main harnesses available, depending on your car being equipped with cowl lights or with parking lights in the headlights. This harness connects the lighting switch between generator and lights. Two minor harnesses - generator to coil and battery, and junction box to dash panel. If you have a second tail light, there is a crossover harness for that too. Be careful with the frame clips as they can easily abrade the wire insulation.

I found it simpler and considerably cheaper to repair the wire insulation and looming with $2 worth of friction tape from WalMart. Some wire ends were frayed/broken at the crimp connectors, which I replaced with solder terminals.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Ranchero50

OP really needs to define which harnesses he needs. The firewall harnesses will make the car run and charge for @ $50. The basic light harness is @ $80 The deluxe with integrated turn signals is @ $ 350 or so.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
springerpete

I'd suggest that before you dive into the wiring repair you get a look at a wiring diagram. Do you have Les Andrew's books ? They are in there. Or ask someone in the forum to post a picture, copy it off and look to see all that is involved. Then, make your decision on what is best for you to do. Luck, Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
Badpuppy

The only drawing(s) I've seen with the correct markup for the 11/29 Service Bulletin change to the coil wire is here -

https://modelagarage.com/electrical/

Most drawings you will find show the original wiring included in the Instruction Books (User Manuals).
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I like the wiring diagram on page 94 of Brattons 2019 catalog .This diagram is the easiest to follow of any that I've seen .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
jrelliott

Get the complete harness and not have any problems. Old wiring is prone to decaying due to the age of the materials. If you get a complete harness for your particular model, ie with cowl lights or not, parking lights or not, two bulb or single bulb headlights, and the year. It will have all the correct connections, and new insulation. It will match the wiring diagrams down to the correct markings and colors. After installation, check all the grounds to the tail lights and head lights and frame to battery terminal. You should not have any problems with electrical for years. Just my opinion, as a retired Electrical Engineer.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote