Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
JRrev

Default Source for rewiring '57 T-Bird

Looking for a source for rewiring my T-Bird in the southern Michigan or northern Ohio area. It doesn't have a problem (yet) so this would be preventive. Curiously, has anyone had this done on any car of this era and what have the total costs been?

P.S. I'm sure CASCO can do it but looking for closer place.
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
alt63bird

Default Re: Source for rewiring '57 T-Bird

To clarify, you want someone to provide and install new harnesses? Or are you planning on "bringing your eggs to the cook" and hand off harnesses to an installer? You may want to ask around for a local restoration provider, show them catalogs from all the Classic T-bird parts vendors and highlight the harnesses you need replaced, plus have copies of the Electrical Assembly Manual and wiring diagrams for them to use.

If you're providing the harnesses, again - shop around the Classic T-bird parts vendors for new harnesses, and check out places that make harnesses like ClassTech out of Bend, OR (I think they supply many of the 'Bird vendors).

Replacing harnesses isn't rocket science or requires a multitude of specialty tools - it's literally "plug and play" (with a few screws and clips thrown in for good measure) with a good share of contortionism thrown in. Any decent shop with electrical experience should be able to replace harnesses with guidance from the assembly manual, shop manual, etc. if you're really determined to find someone locally to do the work.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
JRrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post
To clarify, you want someone to provide and install new harnesses? Or are you planning on "bringing your eggs to the cook" and hand off harnesses to an installer? You may want to ask around for a local restoration provider, show them catalogs from all the Classic T-bird parts vendors and highlight the harnesses you need replaced, plus have copies of the Electrical Assembly Manual and wiring diagrams for them to use.

If you're providing the harnesses, again - shop around the Classic T-bird parts vendors for new harnesses, and check out places that make harnesses like ClassTech out of Bend, OR (I think they supply many of the 'Bird vendors).

Replacing harnesses isn't rocket science or requires a multitude of specialty tools - it's literally "plug and play" (with a few screws and clips thrown in for good measure) with a good share of contortionism thrown in. Any decent shop with electrical experience should be able to replace harnesses with guidance from the assembly manual, shop manual, etc. if you're really determined to find someone locally to do the work.
Have to agree with all you wrote. I was hoping to take the least involved route and eliminate being a middle man if issues arise. Of course that lessens candidates. I've checked wiring harnesses for sale so have somewhat of an idea of variety and cost. Have done a total rewire on a '57 Brand X so get the idea but then that was decades ago. Agree with being a contortionist having been under the dash though many years ago. My situation is different now.
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
paul2748

If you are going to do it yourself with the dash in the car, remove the front seat to give yourself plenty of room. An electrical installation manual for the 57 is you best bet - it shows how everything goes.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote