Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
sethkestenbaum

Default 36 Ford for film shoot

I am a Model A guy, so I hope the folks on the early V8 forum don't mind me posting here.

A friend is looking for a 1936 Ford to be used in a film shoot in Nyack NY this spring. I don't have the details but figured that I would see if anyone on Fordbarn might have a 1936 Ford in the NY metro area that they would have interest in renting out to a film crew. If you do, please send me an email and I will forward your contact to my friend.

Seth
Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 36 Ford for film shoot

I would suggest going on the Early Ford V-8 Club's website and get contact information for the clubs regional groups in NY. Then contact them to determine if someone in those groups would be willing help with your friends needs.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
rockfla

I would think hard and long about that whole proposition. We did that vary same thing with our 37 Station Wagon for the movie "The New Adventures of Pipi Longstocking", they used it for 3 months, left the ignition on twice, drained the battery down at least three times promised to keep it covered when not in use and left it out in the rain, my dad threatened to pull the car immediately and then stiffed us on the car cover they had to keep it covered when not in use and promised to leave with the car at the end......wasn't worth the money!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum View Post
I am a Model A guy, so I hope the folks on the early V8 forum don't mind me posting here.

A friend is looking for a 1936 Ford to be used in a film shoot in Nyack NY this spring. I don't have the details but figured that I would see if anyone on Fordbarn might have a 1936 Ford in the NY metro area that they would have interest in renting out to a film crew. If you do, please send me an email and I will forward your contact to my friend.

Seth
Hi Seth,

Great first name by the way..

You're always welcome here on the V8 page. I'm a Model A owner as well. I will caution you however, if you spend too much time here around V8 Fords, you will eventually own one to park next to your model A.

Seth Swoboda
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
RalphM

Why not a 35?
Seriously the only way I would ever lend a car for a photo shoot is if I was there watching the whole time.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
ford38v8

I also have had a bad experience with my car in a movie, not only how they treated the car, but also getting stiffed on compensation.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Why not a 35?
Seriously the only way I would ever lend a car for a photo shoot is if I was there watching the whole time.

My '34 was used in a movie shoot once and fortunately for me the location was close to my house and I was able to visit the set every day. I was able to observe the making of the movie and dine for free with the cast. They paid me $300.00 a day for the use of my car for 10 days. They paid for insurance on the car as well and provided me with the policy. This was about 10 years ago. It was a good experience for me....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
woodiewagon46

I would first check with your insurance company and see what they say. I would also try to search the Lincoln owner that rented to ether a Lincoln High School or what ever it was for a picture. The poster had about two dozen cheerleaders positioned all over his car. He had dents from his hood, roof and trunk. Get everything in writing.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
My '34 was used in a movie shoot once and fortunately for me the location was close to my house and I was able to visit the set every day. I was able to observe the making of the movie and dine for free with the cast. They paid me $300.00 a day for the use of my car for 10 days. They paid for insurance on the car as well and provided me with the policy. This was about 10 years ago. It was a good experience for me....

The key is being able to stand over you're car, otherwise the movie company can give a crap about you're vehicle......we actually had two experiences with movie companies and the second my dad thought would be better since he was able to be around and actually work with the crew for "most" of the time BUT the problem was when he wasn't able to be around they abused the crap out of our military jeeps, jumped 6V's with 12V (did the same on our 37 Wagon too) burnt up two starters etc etc. For me...IF i cannot be there 100% of the time....NO GO
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
4dFord/SC

I've not personally rented my car for a movie, but whenever the topic comes up on this and other forums, it seems the responses are generally negative, as above.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Willit Stop

If it's a Bruce Willis movie,I'll pass. But if there's a bunch of shapely tanned out blonde chicks with white teeth, I can be there in about four days.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #12
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
If it's a Bruce Willis movie,I'll pass. But if there's a bunch of shapely tanned out blonde chicks with white teeth, I can be there in about four days.
My non-profit Vintage L.A. Coppers https://www.vintagelacoppers.org/
rented out a few members cars for a T.V. pilot last year; L.A. Confidential, a high end TV show (sorry, won't ever be shown because of dispute over who would get the most $ from streaming services).. We also were tech advisors on the show..
True if you don't have a good "picture car" foreman on site, your car will get molested.. I turned down the offer for my car, going rate was $400 a day, my partner's 47 ford was used as the "hero car".. He made $4500.00 for the entire pilot filming.. But definitely have your own "driver".. you can negotiate for car & driver on set for $600 a day!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Or if the girl from “Cool Hand Luke” is washing your car!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Doubt if I would ever consider a movie shoot based on some of the first hand stories I've heard but did do a still photo shoot for a local theater company just for free tickets and the learning experience.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
TonyM

This has been discussed at length on the AACA forums.

The stories posted over there tell me it is not worth it.
TonyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
38bill

A couple of years ago I did a photo shoot with my truck. The people were great and I got paid on the spot. They were very respectful of the truck. They even asked me if it was OK for the models to pose sitting on the tail gate. Would I hand my truck over to a film crew, no way! But I had a great time doing this. Fed me, paid me and the models were friendly, what more could you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C & B truck photo.jpg (102.6 KB, 48 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote