Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default New KYB front shocks

Ok, the KYB 4515 shock which are correct according them aren’t quite correct as people have said. I wasn’t totally in agreement with cutting open the blade ends of the shock and as a matter of fact KYB said not to do that.

So I emailed them and they suggested a slightly different shock. 4752 fits Toyota trucks and is almost identical in length and stroke. It is about 10mm shorter but has about 15% more damping according to their tech dept. Here is the nice part though, the over all width of the blade is the same but the holes where the bolts go are 10mm wider. So this shock is a direct bolt in without having to modify the shock at all. So tomorrow I will bolt them in and see how they fit. I won’t know how they handle for several months but I wanted to pass this info along if it has not been passed along before.

Mike
Old 10-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: New KYB front shocks

Quote:
I wasn’t totally in agreement with cutting open the blade ends of the shock and as a matter of fact KYB said not to do that.
What are you cutting?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Default Re: New KYB front shocks

Apparently the way to use the 4515 is to cut open the ends of the blades where the bolts go. It allows you to widen the bolt pattern. I just was a little worried that the shock could come loose. Not sure if it was paranoia or not.

Mike
Old 10-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New KYB front shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post

Apparently the way to use the 4515 is to cut open the ends of the blades where the bolts go. It allows you to widen the bolt pattern. I just was a little worried that the shock could come loose. Not sure if it was paranoia or not.

Mike
Well we both know that is treading on disaster. What did KYB say about their original listing not fitting pre-1960, anything?

THANX! for the PN update. It will help many I would think.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Default Re: New KYB front shocks

The 4515 is the their correct part number for our application. Here is the tech response:

Hi Mike,

We haven’t had this issue before, but if you have the tools to do so, you would be safe to use a file to widen the mounting holes (along the length of the t-bar) so that they match up better with the bolting points on the vehicle frame. Don’t drill out the holes though so you can use the same bolting points.

KG4752 is very similar to KG4515, but the holes in the mounting bar are about 10mm (3/8”) further apart so it could be a better fit. Only thing is that the damping rate is about 15% higher than KG4515, so you will have a firmer ride as a result.

Regards,
Technical Support
KYB Americas Corporation
[email protected]
Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New KYB front shocks

Quote:
KG4752 is very similar to KG4515, but the holes in the mounting bar are about 10mm (3/8”) further apart so it could be a better fit. Only thing is that the damping rate is about 15% higher than KG4515, so you will have a firmer ride as a result.
Take that one to the bank. Not many 57/59 owners use KYB's I guess.

EDIT -

Originating Companion Thread -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304170

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 10-05-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: INCLUDE ORIGIONAL THREAD