Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
ro

Default 1932 "survivoration"

So, "survivoration" is what I'm calling my approach to my '32 wagon. It's not faux patina in the sense of layering colors and sanding through to create the look. And it's not redoing everything to look like new. It's about gathering correct OEM stuff that is in good original condition.

I was extremely grateful to find a set of original doors and rear belt line trim.
So, I'm basing the entire "survivoration" around matching those doors. If anyone happens to have any removed original stuff that was too good to throw away, and it's correct for the '32, feel free to give me a shout. Even little things like hood welting, or whatever.

Has anyone else done a "survivoration?" Or whatever you call it. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (56.9 KB, 1068 views)
ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: 1932 "survivoration"

To me it is a waste of time. This is a rare and expensive
32 woody, why not make it something of value?? G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 WOODY.jpg (107.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #3
cas3

i think its a great idea...but its gonna be hard to do with a low production car made of wood. best wishes
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
51504bat

Your car. Do with it what you want.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

Park yours next to his at a Saturday nite parking lot gathering, or a Saturday morning swap meet, and 95% or better of the "lookie-lou's" will be gathered around his raggedy ol' wagon of NO value! The arrogance....! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
nickthebandit

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would spend more time looking at this wagon than a restored one. I can appreciate what it took to put this together, and to keep it looking as it is.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #7
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
We have (2) '32 Fords that have been in the family for many years. My brother and I have an ongoing joke about want something for a '32 it's a $1000 minimum. I admire people who have the time, knowledge and financial resources to retsore a rare '32 of any model but the truth in our experience few have the resources to undertake such an endeavor.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

I've deliberately not restored my 32 Cabriolet . . . the paint has wear and tear on it, the old top is yellow and water stained (still has the "critter" paw prints on it from being a hammock for vermin in the garage for 55 years), the Firestone wire wheels haven't been repainted, the front bumper is old and rusty looking, etc.. I did redo the interior and the drivetrain (though still a flathead). I will say, the old look and feel of it is more attractive to most folks than if I'd restored it. There are a gazillion rep-op 32's out in the world - with nice shiny paint, new chrome and SBCs in them -- you see very few original cars that have "that look" from back in the day.

Also, it is funny how it goes - a car like mine that is kind of a rolling museum is worth more as "it is", than if I'd spent another $30K on new paint, chrome, etc.. But, with that said - the market might just change again . . . so who cares.

I know your wagon is extremely rare - but as long as you're doing what YOU want to do and enjoying yourself - that is truly all that matters. Have fun, get it done . . . drive the heck out of it!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
ro

Good morning, all. I appreciate all of the comments . . . and I do mean all of them. I consider the fact that we all have our own opinions to be a good thing.

With regards to building something of value . . . I believe I am doing just that. Value to me, for sure. But I also contend that I'm building something with monetary value, as well. To be clear, the choice for doing a "survivoration" was made for personal enjoyment reasons, and not for monetary investment reasons.

However, I wouldn't be too quick to assume that I'm making a bad investment choice. As mentioned, the car is very rare . . . and that is true no matter what. I also feel like there are a growing number of people who really appreciate the story, and history, of the things they buy, or simply enjoy seeing. This car will feature the 11th set of wooden doors, made in 1932. They are solid, they function fine, and they've been there and done that. You feel that when you look at them. The man I bought them from cared enough to keep them around, even after having a brand new body built for his car. And btw, his car is beautiful! I feel like I'm honoring him by giving those doors a new purpose. I don't know the build number of my car, but it's early - like the doors - and it shares the same original leftover '31 paint color that car #11 had.

So, to monetary investment - again, it's not driving my choices - but . . .

A fully restored 1932 Woodie would be worth what, maybe 60-80k? I honestly don't know as much as many of you about this, but I think I'm in the ballpark. A new body would cost 40k+? That doesn't leave a lot of room to buy it, source parts, and refinish everything.

My car might not bring 60k, but I'm betting I'd have a better net gain. Say there are 100 buyers who prefer the full restoration, and only 2 who like mine. Truth is . . . you can only sell it once. And because '32s are rare, I'm certain I would be able to connect with one of those 2 people.

Don't give up on me :-) . . . I think as the car takes shape it will seem like a better idea than it might right now, to some folks.

rod
Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
TJ

Build it the way you want it. Please yourself and you will be happy. Frankly nice old original cars are what I enjoy most. It's rolling history and if they could talk I would love to hear their story.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
FritzJr

@ro, as long as you are not doing anything which cannot be undone, the next owner can do a full restoration if that is their goal.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
woodiewagon46

The good news is that the '32 Wagon has basically all flat panels so there are no complex curves to deal with. Someone with good carpenter skills and a good table saw can put together a fairly decent body. As you know it's a rare body style as only 1032, four cylinder cars were built and only 351, V-8's so trying to find parts might be tough. The original body was Maple with Birch plywood panels and Basswood roof slats. I would try to use the original wood variety's and stay away from pine and plywood. Don't listen to the nay sayers and enjoy yourself and your project.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
53MERC

I too am a big fan of the worn, weathered, patina cars and trucks. Like V8COOPMAN mentioned, I am drawn to those vehicles at car shows and walk right past a lot of the shiny restored stuff. I love your plan. Have fun with it.
I plan on keeping my 53' as-is. Dull paint and all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53s.jpg (79.9 KB, 36 views)
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
ro

While I mentioned the original doors, I also have all the support structure made new by Wood 'n Carz in California. I got that with the car when I bought it. My front fenders are solid, but they don't retain any original paint, so I'd love to swap for some decent ones with old paint. The thing I lack with the body is the basswood slatted roof. That will be pricey, no doubt.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
NealinCA

I put this 32 sedan back on the road wearing the remnants of original paint. The car was mostly complete, but I still had to find some matching original pieces and fake in a few small parts to match. It was a fun car and got more looks than my shiny one.

Good luck with your project.

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Fordor Old Nash Dealership.jpg (77.3 KB, 102 views)
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
rockfla

I'm still stuck at how he knows it was the #11 station wagon made? I didn't know Ford kept records of what engines went with which body style?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I'm still stuck at how he knows it was the #11 station wagon made? I didn't know Ford kept records of what engines went with which body style?

I don't believe it has anything to do with engine (trans)/serial numbers. I do believe that a couple of body styles were numbered on firewall as they were produced. Surely David will set me straight. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
ro

Raulangs stamped a production number on the wood cross member supporting the gas tank on drivers side.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
KiWinUS

Great stuff enjoy your journey. I am doing something very similar with a 36 trunk back convertible sedan. The car is amazingly solid but the cost to restore (I couldn’t afford) would be way more than it’s retail value. My intent is to make it a very solid mechanically driver with one of my KiWi-L100 cammed hot rod engines.
Great vehicle. Have fun
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #20
leon bee

I also completely like your plan. It's about what I do with all my old stuff.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote