Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Rex_A_Lott

Default Hershey Swap Meet

I know its a ways off yet, but I'm planning to make my first trip to Hershey this fall. Anyone have any suggestions for places to stay ( or avoid) and things for the wife to do when she gets tired of looking at cars?
We will just be spectators, not taking a car to show.
Thanks
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Hershey Swap Meet

That is a very difficult Q. When Momma gets tired... If you bring a camper and park in a camp ground, Momma can stay at the camper and read or relax. If Momma wears out in the middle of the red field, you are going to go to a lecture.

I don't know if the tours of the Hershey factory run in October. It is a good tour, except they pump chocolate smells everywhere and when the tour is over you come out in the candy store and buy everything chocolate.

You might contact the Hershey visitors bureau about a bed and breakfast. Also ask about tours and bus schedules. Perhaps there is a shopping bus tour Momma would like.

Good luck. My Sandy sez she ain't never coming to Hershey.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Steve Wastler

As Clem points out, My woman has flat out refused to ever go. I even furnished pictures of other wives pulling the wagon of parts, and she still said no.............
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Flop

usually a bad idea to take the significant other as bad as that sounds unless you have one of those million dollar coaches.

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Roger V

In contrast, you couldn't prevent my wife from going! She's made forty out of forty-one years (gee they expected at least one parent to be present when our son was confirmed on one Hershey weekend). While she watches our spaces so I can hit the fields, she looks forward to seeing friends there, looking at what others sell, going to area quilt shops, eating at the various neat local restaurants, etc. Many attending wives get together to go out shopping such as in Reading. It's been said that you may have to go as far as a 75 mile radius to get a room though more motels have been built recently in the area. We usually get the next year's room nearly a year in advance.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
raprice

What I do is go on Priceline.com and tell them I want a 3 star hotel in the Hershey or east Harrisburg area. I've never been disappointed. I usually start with a price of around $79 per night. I might have to increase it $10 more and usually I'm in luck.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

Prepare for lots of walking. Hershey is big! In the weeks before, take a lot of walks. Take your vitamins. Unless you're just a looky loo, you'll probably need something to carry your treasures in to the parking lot. If you can't find it at Hershey, the guy who has it stayed home. With my back, I have to carry meds. I get halfway across the field and I'm in agony. I hope this helps!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Deluxe Delivery

Been goin' to Hershey since '66. Never slept anywhere other than Hotel Chev*****. ( not sure I can say that word here). Suburbans have housed me and my family with great comfort. Think camping surrounded with old cars and old car people. ...it's really part of the experience...being right there in the middle of the action 24/7. Toilets, showers, food, it's all there...why ever leave?
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
theHIGHLANDER

I've done similar to deluxe delivery. Usually showing a car, I set up a sleeping area in the overhead of the trailer. I stay at Highmeadow Campground in the areas where there's no hook up, from Tues thru Sat, $160. Hard to beat. All you need is a bed and a shower (showers there have always been good n clean), there's things that go on in the evenings, the auction is happenin Thurs and Fri night, and I try to park by the road. Kinda nice to kick back before dinner and watch all the cars go by with a frosty beverage, or even a cup of coffee after the long days at the meet. You'll be a bad mofo if you cover every field in 3 days. It gets overwhelming pretty fast, but ain't that the juice? Saturday's show is a musn't mss too. Many line up at the gate before sunrise and see them all going in. The trucks, especially the big ones, have been off the hook tha last couple years too. Rooms are not cheap so $160 for a whole week is a smokin deal.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Ed Northrop

Can you give directions to Highmeadow campground.
Ed
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Roadster62

My girlfriend went to Hershey for the first time in 1977 and loved it, we got married the following June.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Deluxe Delivery

Well stated, Highlander. My favorite spot early Saturday Morning is at the center of the bridge over the road. Every car entering the field must pass beneath you. You get to see the tops of everything ! Plus folks in the cars are all hyped and waving and blowing their horns. I remember an extremely early high wheeler piloted by what looked to be two teens looking excited and scared at the same time. They got an ovation from the crowd on the bridge. Give me chills even now ! Ahhh Hershey
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Northrop View Post
Can you give directions to Highmeadow campground.
Ed
Here ya go...

http://www.hersheycamping.com/
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
jim1932

when is it? the week of columbus day?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Roadster62

I've done two nights in the van then one or two in a motel when the family arrives on Thursday. One of the great on field events it the early cars driving around in the flea market at night on the way to the ice crean stand just down the isle from me. Brass era cars at night time driving around is something special. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery View Post
Been goin' to Hershey since '66. Never slept anywhere other than Hotel Chev*****. ( not sure I can say that word here). Suburbans have housed me and my family with great comfort. Think camping surrounded with old cars and old car people. ...it's really part of the experience...being right there in the middle of the action 24/7. Toilets, showers, food, it's all there...why ever leave?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Ken Bull

Spent 3 days each @ Carlisle & Hershey for 14 years shopping for parts to restore my 40 Pickup (sold in 2009) & my 36 Cabriolet (mostly completed fall 2011) So many finds & good times & friends. Best part after a tough day walking venders? Camping close by in my Van Camper!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Rex_A_Lott

Thanks guys for the tips. I'd probably be better of leaving her home, but its her birthday weekend....and the only way I could afford divorce is to sell all my old car stuff.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Thanks guys for the tips. I'd probably be better of leaving her home, but its her birthday weekend....and the only way I could afford divorce is to sell all my old car stuff.
Her birthday.............well then you better buy her a new red wagon to pull all your parts around Hershey!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Her birthday.............well then you better buy her a new red wagon to pull all your parts around Hershey!
Tom you know how to take care of women!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
Bruce Adams

My wife always drops me off in the morning and picks me up in the evening.
She goes off antiquing, exploring and shopping.
There are lots of antique shops and specialty shops as well as the standard Big Box stores such as WalMart and BJ's within driving distances.
Harrisburg has decent tourist spots, and the AACA museum is close to the flea markets.
There are also a lot of restaurants within easy driving distances.
The Airport and East Harrisburg is but fifteen minutes away in the morning, and there are easy back roads that pop you right into the fields at Hershey. This also eliminates the parking fees at the car show.
The evenings have had car auctions in the past, but there is no guarantee of these.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote