Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #21
Yoyodyne

Default Re: Stuck block two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Magic, pure magic..... So, it isn't baking soda. Where does one buy 'washing soda' ?

Amazon etc., it's easy to find and cheap. I use Tasc, product #001 here - https://greenpowerchemical.com/files.../PriceList.pdf Much more expensive, I don't know that it's really any better performing in a barrel.

FWIW Sodium Hydroxide is nasty stuff to handle, OSHA EPA and insurance companies have pretty much driven it out of machine shops.

To dispose of Washing soda, I just let the water boil off and give the greasy remaining sludge to my oil disposal guy.

Last edited by Yoyodyne; 11-06-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:53 AM   #22
1952henry

Use care with lye, and you will be fine. Thousands of pioneer women made soap with it. Folks from Scandinavian countries use it to prepare ludefisk.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #23
corvette8n

Thanks for the rod offers guys, at this point I am just trying to salvage as many spare parts off the block as I can. I have two blocks given to me by a friend, one bare and one with a crank and cam in it. Most of what I’m doing is for the learning experience and if I get a few spare parts from it I’ll be happy. I was able to grind down a spare 9/16 socket so will see how that goes.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #24
Yoyodyne

One more thing - Don't put any aluminum or other non-ferrous metals in the sodium hydroxide. The part will either be damaged or won't be there when you go back for it, plus it will crud up your solution.
Aluminum is OK in sodium carbonate.

-----------------

Maybe that's a solution for stuck pistons? Let the Lye dissolve the pistons? I knew a shop that did cylinder head porting that put his loaded up rotary burrs in the hot tank to remove the aluminum from the flutes, they came out bare. It dissolves cam bearings, and just about anything that isn't steel or iron. He wouldn't put bigger stuff in it for me, because he didn't want to have to change the solution afterward.

Last edited by Yoyodyne; 11-06-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #25
frnkeore

Quote:
Maybe that's a solution for stuck pistons? Let the Lye dissolve the pistons?
Yes, that was my whole point. Removing the pistons w/o damaging the block. Plus, you no longer have the sludge to deal with. Good blocks are hard to come by, right?

BTW, there are still Hot Tanks in machine shops, here in Oregon. They don't advertise them but, at least the 2 shops that I use, have them. I would guess that they are still used, in most areas. Nothing will clean a block like a hot tank.

I HATE sludge! I started as a mechanic, when I was 19 and being the youngest in the shop, I got all the worst jobs, like working on Corvairs and working under the dash, upside down and backwards!!!

The worst sludge I remember, wasn't on Ford FH's, it was working on those old Chev 216's. I still cringe at the though of having to clean one of them for a overhaul.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #26
26 lakes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is the easiest way to take a stuck block apart. There are several barners using this process. I took 7 blocks apart last year.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61058
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote