Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Tod

Default 8BA interest.

OK. I've been taking a break from the 8BA due to working on a new casting method for my Model A blocks that I think will make the 8BA blocks much better. I didn't want to go deeper into the 8BA until I knew this would work out. I am very pleased with what is happening.

That leads me to wonder, once again, what kind of interest in a new 8BA might there be?

I have this thing pretty far along but will need to change direction some to use the new method.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 8BA interest.

Tod, I for one am glad you're back; I was starting to worry. I'm to old to be buying now, but in the last year have sold two good 8BA blocks to guys who had stalled projects because they thought they had "good engines". They gladly paid my price.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Ross F-1

I'm not in the market, but know several people who potentially are -- depends on the price. They would likely only be interested in a fully-machined, ready to go bare block.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

To determine the interest at the least i think we need to know is the block ready to use. Or will the end user need to get the valve seats and cylinder bores finished. And the really big question cost for the block.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
RalphM

What are the French blocks going for? Although a bit of a morphodite from old and new style blocks, they are still NEW flatheads.

But I’m sure the ones your working on Tod will have many improvements, like full flow oiling built in.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Newc

Wow; The 'Old' 24 stud parts can be put on an 8ba block, so go for it! newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

Glad to see your back. Yes, a complete ready to run block is probably a best seller. However, a finished bore and valve grind is not necessary if the price is reasonable. For the guys that want to modify one, some thought should be mad for max bore size and a better intake port. but just a good block is the most important issue.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
What are the French blocks going for? Although a bit of a morphodite from old and new style blocks, they are still NEW flatheads.

But I’m sure the ones your working on Tod will have many improvements, like full flow oiling built in.
Looks like they sell for 3-3.5k.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Glad to see your back. Yes, a complete ready to run block is probably a best seller. However, a finished bore and valve grind is not necessary if the price is reasonable. For the guys that want to modify one, some thought should be mad for max bore size and a better intake port. but just a good block is the most important issue.

I never really left, Ron. I look in from time to time, but I have been so busy with regular machining and getting my Model A blocks ready to utilize new process tech that I haven't done much in the original direction of design. I am now looking at taking the 8BA in the same direction, which will make for better blocks.

Tod
Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post

Yes, full, pressurized oiling is part of the design.

Tod
Old 07-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Sparky79

If the price was decent and was ready for assembly no machine work I would be interested. I have a block but might need alot of work to get it running again.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
philipswanson

What are you doing to reduce cracking?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #13
Tony, NY

I have to ask, why was there's such an interest in the Model A engine that you took it on? I'm a v8 guy so have no idea.I have to believe the interest in a v8 would be more than a 4 cyl. Of course, $$ matter.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
Pete

After finding what the user response might be here and other vintage performance and restoration sites, your best route to go would be to lobby the various vintage racing associations to change their rules to allow after market blocks. There would have to be certain limitations but all of that could be worked out. (no 4 inch bores etc)
I have always maintained those were stupid rules. You could make a block out of unobtanium with the same dimensions of a stock block and it would not go any faster than a stock one.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
I have to ask, why was there's such an interest in the Model A engine that you took it on? I'm a v8 guy so have no idea.I have to believe the interest in a v8 would be more than a 4 cyl. Of course, $$ matter.

I got into the Model A long before I knew the market for an 8BA was probably larger. Since I am so close to getting into regular production on the banger it made sense to back-burner the 8BA until about now.

I think I mentioned in previous threads that I would like to be in the mid-2k range for my 8BA blocks. They will have full-pressure oiling to the crank and cam journals. I slowed down on the 8BA so I could prove out my process ideas on other things first, like an OHV head for Model A and B engines and a couple of other heads. So far, that process is working to perfection. I had started re-direction of my 8BA casting process before now, but not to the degree I plan to from here out.

The one thing that might slow me down is the potential for more work from a possible customer who contacted me this week about making tooling for them. The good side of that is - this foundry can probably cast all of my iron castings, and they are only about 30 miles from my shop. The owner contacted me and wants to meet after this holiday weekend, next week, to go over what business we can do together.

Tod
Old 07-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
What are you doing to reduce cracking?

The first step was to increase deck thickness. Cylinder wall thickness will be slightly thicker as well.

Tod
Old 07-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky79 View Post
If the price was decent and was ready for assembly no machine work I would be interested. I have a block but might need alot of work to get it running again.

I doubt "no machine work" is viable, as it assumes every customer is in the same position as far as all of their parts are concerned. I have learned from other block projects that a basic block needs supplied that can be used by everyone as it can be finished to every individual's specs.

I may have local engine machine shops that I can work with to supply some customers with what they want. I personally do not have time to finish machine every conceivable engine configuration. I have learned that hardly any two people want the same things.

Tod
Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
Ol' Ron

We're all routing for you to come up with a usable block. It really doesn't have to be something special. The old ones are just getting hard er to find. Yes a thicker deck and cylinder bore would be good. but the vast majority of builds are near stock. Just think a 3 3/8 bore would give 265 on a stock crank and almost 9:1 compression with milled EAB heads. Very nice street engine
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #19
rotorwrench

I want one! I may want more in the future. I always look for good 8BA types. This is hot country down here in TX so many engines were overheated and cracked in this neck of the woods. Up north they get cracks from the winter freeze.

A 59 series would be good too but I'd settle for an 8BA type any day.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote