Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default 30-31 Victoria

I enjoyed all the pictures of the Victoria in a recent post. I have been looking at the Victoria as a possible body style to purchase. The leather back version is a great looking car. Is it difficult to keep it clean, free of stains and are there maintenance issues with this kind of top? Is the sheet metal under the top the same as a standard Victoria?

Are there any interior parts that are specific to the Victoria and difficult to find if something is missing such as door handles and rear view mirror bracket?
Any other comments you could make before making a purchase would be helpful. Thank you, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Brian SATX

Default Re: 30-31 Victoria

There are several variations of the front seats, that are time specific. The rear valance is hard to come by. It goes between the two rear fenders. The door handles, wiper, sun visors are all used in other cars so the parts are not hard to find. Join the Victoria Club. The price is cheap, you get a great newsletter and they have two books available for sale that are Victoria specific with a lot of drawings etc.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

The window regulators and latches interchange with other slant windshield Model A's. They were/are rather flimsy and wore quickly. If the regulators are not great, the window will creep and seek the balance of the two springs inside.
The interior garnishes are rather hard to find and expensive if they are missing. Of course, it is built with a lot of wood (the leatherback has even more!) and prone to wet and dry rot. I would definitely try to assess the wood. Replacement is a major undertaking. The leather back and steel back do not share the basic metal structure under the leather top.
While each of us has preferences, the steel back is the better car IMHO

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 10-17-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

There are two 190A body styles, the Leather-back & Steel-back. Those styles refer to the top material. The Leather-Back is the 1st version of the 190A, and it was replaced by the Steel-Back starting in the 2nd Quarter of 1931.

Leather-Back & Steel-Back have unique interior wood, and kits for both are available. There are also differences between the two in paint schemes, seats, carpets, upholstery materials and furnishings. The 400A and the 190A have some common parts.

The authoritative source of information about the 190A Victoria is the International Victoria Association, and I highly recommend your join the Association by contacting Vern Schwebke at [email protected].
Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
flatford39

Sun visors are very hard to find. They are interior not exterior. I am looking for a pair if anyone has them leave me a PM.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sun Visors in my 190A are common to the visors in the slant window sedans. The brackets were being reproduced and the visors are available from Model "A" upholstery kits shops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Visor Installation (1).jpg (88.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Visors Installation (2).jpg (84.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
ronn

Ed,
nice choice of body style. The vickis and A400's have long been a favorite of mine.
Like you, I much prefer the leatherbacks.
I had an unrestored one 2 years ago, that needed a good bit of work and moved it along. The front seat space is outstanding, as I am 6 1" and 230 IBS. Never rode in a more comfortable A regarding leg room and ease of entry.
Yes, as Blue mentioned, be careful that the wood is good.
Let us know what you get if you buy one. Love to see the photos!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
Oldbluoval

I am not sure of a change over date issue. I owned the original Vic that David Moore bought from me and is now still owned by his widow (I think). That car is in Vince Falters website. The visor brackets are not the same as slant fordors. And, I have seen the same brackets in that car on other vics but no other slants. By being the "handler" of that vic for a number of years and observing it, I do not think the brackets were changed. The original headliner had no markings as if they had been changed and they would not have overlaid. The visors themselves were original.

While common in use in restored vics, I do not think the visor brackets are the same. The vics are a bit more "boxy" and not made like the ones that Bob is showing. Could be both were used; I have not tried parts books or lists as I no longer really have a vested interest.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote