Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
12secvx

Default Thinking about upgrading my front brakes but have some ?

I will start off by saying I’m kinda building a prewar hot rod out of my 29 sedan. I know wrong site I should post on the HAMB but I like the Barn too and I’m Going start here. I’m rebuilding my 35 front axle with 32 spindles, and 32 spring perches. And I have a I good 35-36 front backing plate and a set of useable 12” hydro Drums I’m hoping they are the same as mechanical brake drums. So I would just have to find another backing plate to complete the upgrade i’m thinking of for the fronts to the larger and wider 35-36 brakes. I’m also planning on keeping my stock A rears so I can maintain the parking brake. I have a Flathead Teds Kit to install as well during my rebuild. Has anyone ever had experience using 35-36 fronts with stock A rears. Thanks for any hints, Tips, even flames I can take it. Ben

Last edited by 12secvx; 10-11-2018 at 07:31 AM.
12secvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
12secvx

Default Re: Thinking about upgrading my front brakes but have some ?

I forgot to mention I have 35 wire wheels. And it is my understanding that the 35 drums are are special and support the wheels. Do 35 drums only look like the Rocky Mountain brakes drums?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
bettlesr

I have the 35 front brakes on my 30 sport coupe. I run the 35 wheels with radials. Also have the Flathead Ted setup in them . They really stop the car quickly even fron 60 to 65 mph. I have the stock rear brakes. It's worth the work
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
12secvx

Thanks for the response Bettelsr. I was wondering if you used the spacers/valve seats in the front like the do for the hydro conversions. Also is there anything to watch out for with the brake linkage going to the front? Also do you have a photo frame f the drums you used I’m a little confused on which ones are 35 style drums. Thanks Ben
Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
bettlesr

Yes, I had to put spacers in them . The 35 drums look similat to the 32-34 drums. You can easily tell as the 32-34 have 1 fin around them and the 35 have 3 fins. See the pictures on Vince falters site www.fordbarn.com and look up brake drums.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Fred A

Ben:

What war are you referring to? Prewar and sedan sets you up for a bit of a factual stretch. If it's style, whatever you want to call it, it's your narrative but you'll spend a bit of time explaining any justification for hot rod regarding a sedan. Not that young people weren't buying the cheap cars like the Models A etc. In the mid fifties running As around my town were $50, maybe less. Sure would put on some "performance" parts if they came into some money. Not a fast rule, but a trend. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12secvx View Post
I will start off by saying I’m kinda building a prewar hot rod out of my 29 sedan. I know wrong site I should post on the HAMB but I like the Barn too and I’m Going start here. I’m rebuilding my 35 front axle with 32 spindles, and 32 spring perches. And I have a I good 35-36 front backing plate and a set of useable 12” hydro Drums I’m hoping they are the same as mechanical brake drums. So I would just have to find another backing plate to complete the upgrade i’m thinking of for the fronts to the larger and wider 35-36 brakes. I’m also planning on keeping my stock A rears so I can maintain the parking brake. I have a Flathead Teds Kit to install as well during my rebuild. Has anyone ever had experience using 35-36 fronts with stock A rears. Thanks for any hints, Tips, even flames I can take it. Ben
I don't see a problem posting here for help. After all, what you're doing
is what was done in the later '30's and early '40's when A's were just affordable used cars. I imagine many A's got 16" wheels as soon as a '35 Ford hit the junkyard. And all kinds of parts mixing and matching went on to save money or personalize the car. No one was a purist back then!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
12secvx

I get it. It is what it is a model A sedan. I like it. I guess I should rephrase my original goal or post here. Instead of a prewar hot rod/ To be historically correct I’m look to build a lowered model A Sedan with mostly pre-WW2 ford parts which would constitute anything before the 40’s. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the info on the brakes I need to check my drums and make sure I have the correct ones for my wheels.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
bettlesr

The 35 wire wheel mechanical brake drums are different then the hydro drums. You need the 35 Ford drums to do it right.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
12secvx

Thanks I realize that after doing so research. I will check the one I have out tomorrow if I can’t determine I will post a picture hopefully you guys can if not. Thanks again
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Synchro909

A a simple way to immrove gthe front brakes, I've wondered about using the longer arms from the rear on the front. I'm sure that using arms of different length ios how Henry adjusted the bias between front and back and we lknow that the rear brakes ore stronger than they should be.
Has anybody done this or know anybody who has and if so, how well it worked?
Old 10-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A a simple way to immrove gthe front brakes, I've wondered about using the longer arms from the rear on the front. I'm sure that using arms of different length ios how Henry adjusted the bias between front and back and we lknow that the rear brakes ore stronger than they should be.
Has anybody done this or know anybody who has and if so, how well it worked?

There was a thread on this some years ago. You could try brake actuators
from a 1930-34 AA or BB truck.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg actuator.jpg (24.8 KB, 13 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
12secvx

Well I checked my drums and they appear to be the later hydraulic drums. So I guess i’n Is search of a pair of turntable drums or just a complete 35 front brake swap I can rebuild.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
There was a thread on this some years ago. You could try brake actuators
from a 1930-34 AA or BB truck.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. Reading between the lines, I guess you are saying that the idea will work. AA trucks are RARE here and BB trucks - well, I've never seen any genuine B series vehicle here.