Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Remember that first Model A?

My first Model A,original or hot rod,this is the one I built in the 70's. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 10-11-2015 at 06:02 PM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
clo2jim

Default Re: Remember that first Model A?

Got my first in 1987 - 1930 Coupe - still working on it.
2nd - 2007 - 1930 Canadian Roadster - our touring car - new interior in 1988, motor overhauled in winter 2012 - over 5,000 driven since - 3rd place Touring Class award st Dallas 1998 - 356 points
3st - 2009 - 1930 original US Town Sedan - original - received MARC of Original Excellence award at this years Niagara Falls MARC Meet - 413 points

Three are better than one!
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
glenn in camino

My first Model A was a 31 standard coupe that I bought for $100.00 in late 1957. I painted it gloss black with a brush over Christmas vacation and in April, took my driver's test in it. I don't have any pictures of it, except in my mind. I'll never forget it.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
burner31

I'm a late bloomer, got my 1st in Dec of last year, my Christmas gift to myself.
After sitting in a garage for 56 years it took me 2 1/2 months of constant work to get the engine running and then took her for a drive, have not stopped driving it since.
Matter of fact, I just got done tonight with my 1st night time cruise.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
My first Model A,original or hot rod,this is the one I built in the 70's. HRP

Do you still have it?
Back in the 70's...what did you pay for it? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Do you still have it?
Back in the 70's...what did you pay for it? If you don't mind me asking.
No,I sold it in 1983

I paid 400 bucks,it didn't have a engine or transmission. HRP
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
99ZoomR

I just bought my first model A a month ago. Went to the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village and brought a piece of it home. 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.4 KB, 88 views)
99ZoomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
JtownJoe

Actually My first model A was just purchased in 2007. Kind of a throwback to having owned a 34 Ford v/8four door sedan in1963 when I was in high school In Windber, PA. Great car had it for a few years but was too immature to realize what I had. MY dad and I found it locally, it had been sitting for at least ten year is a basement garage and all it needed was fresh gas, jumper cables, air in the tires and water in the radiator plus fake plates to drive it home ,kept it for about 5 years and sold it when I went on active duty in"65'Sure wish I hade that 34 Fordoor and my other was car a 57 Corvette with both hard & soft tops The Corvette had a souped up 283 in it with some work done to it and it was very fast on t he street but that 34Ford was just the coolost car aroung!
I blame it all on finding out about girls. they just somehow change what I thought was so important at the time!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
J Wade

I bought my first model A this year. Beer and Ebay I don't regret it a bit. The engine is overhauled and slowly going through the rest of it. Just beginning on this journey, and enjoying it all thanks in part to the Barn for their help.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop and I used to get in it and pretend to drive it. Unfortunately it got sold before I had any say about it.

I got my interest in the Model A Ford a few years later when I used to go to a farmer friend of mine, Herb Seagraves, who lived about 3 miles down the Touchet River Road and up a canyon. There he had this nice restored 1928 Open Cab Pickup which belonged at one time to another neighbor. I was about 11 years old and liked to sit in the Pickup and pretend to drive it. My friend took me for rides in the pickup and I was hooked.

In the spring of 1964 he asked me to come up and pull rye out of his wheat. Hey, why not earn a little money. While at his place, I noticed that he had another Model A in the barn. It was in real nice shape and needed restored. I asked my farmer friend what he was going to do with it. As usual, he told me just what most of us have heard at one time or another. He told me that he was going to restore it someday.

Well, for the next two years or so I was always going by and looking at it. I was also admiring a 1929 Closed Cab Pickup in another shed. I kept pestering him about selling it to me because he just was not going to do anything with it as far as I could tell.

One day in September of 1966, just as I was starting my Junior year of High School, I must of got him on a good day because he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I told him yes. He told me that he would sell me the 1929 Standard Coupe and the 1929 Closed Cab Pickup on one condition….that I restore the car and pickup to original and not to a hot rod. I told him that I would so he told me that I could have both vehicles for $250.00. I couldn’t get back to the ranch fast enough. I was soon the proud owner of two Model A’s.
On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop
Restored the Coupe in 1980 but sold the Pickup. You should of seen the smile on my farmer friend’s face as I showed him the Coupe for which he sold me back in 1966. I then returned the favor and took him for a ride! I will never forget that day.

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 10-11-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
No,I sold it in 1983
Sold it !!!!!!! That's the first mistake. Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #12
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
I'm a late bloomer, got my 1st in Dec of last year, my Christmas gift to myself.
After sitting in a garage for 56 years it took me 2 1/2 months of constant work to get the engine running and then took her for a drive, have not stopped driving it since.
Matter of fact, I just got done tonight with my 1st night time cruise.
Well, I'm kinda like you, Keith. I got my first and only, "Bonnie" (30 Town Sedan), just June of 2014; like you, I still have stars in my eyes for my Bonnie. She's beautiful to me, and she still turns heads at 85! What a cougar! (er, Model A). At the rate I've been going, I may never afford another, yet I consider myself very lucky to have one.
She needed a complete brake job, tie rod ends, all balls redone (tie rod, drag link, pitman arm) and king pins. I learned an incredible amount from the guys on the Ford Barn in this short time, and am still just a Model A baby learning to walk.
My better half has to share me with Bonnie, but we all get along just fine. Chuck
Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Sold it !!!!!!! That's the first mistake. Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
Yeh, the car is long gone, is the girl long gone too ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #14
DougVieyra

My first "Model A" was a 1928 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - that was in 1963. I deliberately wanted to avoid a Model A because they were so plentiful and still used as daily drivers by a few 'old timers'.
The '28 Chevy had a bigger trunk than the Ford, solid disc wheels, wooden steering wheel, and a few up-grades that a Ford lacked.
However, the Ford had one thing that the Chevy did not have. LOTS of spare parts - everywhere ! As I was using the '28 Chevy as an everyday 'driver', that was an important issue. So when the axle-shaft on the Chevy broke ( a common occurrence on Chevy's) and I could not locate another (many decades before the 'Google' internet search), I sold the car to Bill Harrah in Reno.
So in 1964 I bought my first Ford Model A - a November 1927 Tudor. Chevrolet and others called this body style a 'Coach'. I drove that car for about two years, while at the same time I acquired my Grandfather's December 1928 Ford Touring, which I had grown up with. I still have that car today, having restored it with my good buddy of the time, Marco Tahtarras, in about 1978-'79. And like then, it is still my daily driver.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
Well, I'm kinda like you, Keith. I got my first and only, "Bonnie" (30 Town Sedan), just June of 2014; like you, I still have stars in my eyes for my Bonnie. She's beautiful to me, and she still turns heads at 85! What a cougar! (er, Model A). At the rate I've been going, I may never afford another, yet I consider myself very lucky to have one.
She needed a complete brake job, tie rod ends, all balls redone (tie rod, drag link, pitman arm) and king pins. I learned an incredible amount from the guys on the Ford Barn in this short time, and am still just a Model A baby learning to walk.
My better half has to share me with Bonnie, but we all get along just fine. Chuck
Wow, it's like looking in a mirror, every word could have come from my mouth.
If we lived closer I think you and I would get along quite well.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
V4F

Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
nope I got her ! ............
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
holdover

First one bought in 1966 a 1931 Black business coupe, seems like yesterday, and when I dive my '29 CCPU or my '29 Coupe, I'm right back in that time frame
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
TDO

I worked on a 1931 ford coupe with a friend of mine in 1964. And than at age 18,also in 1964, Uncle Sam wanted me to be with him for a few years. After getting out of the Army , Got married and started raising a family. So it took me to 2006 to buy my own 1930 Model A coupe. It was to be my retirement project. Retired in 2009. took me 3 years to Re do the coupe. It's the one on my avatar. And I sure do in joy my 1930 coupe.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

This is how the "modified" CCPU looked after I put it together from parts my Uncle gave me. This was back in the early 1950's. The chassis, motor, axles, etc. are still under my "new" 1929 Model A huckster I currently have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-Scanned-10.jpg (66.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 64IMG_7687.jpg (97.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 10-12-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
This is how the "modified" CCPU looked after I put it together from parts my Uncle gave me. This was back in the early 1950's. The chassis, motor, axles, etc. are still under my "new" 1929 Model A huckster I currently have.
You have a smoKestack coming out of the hood?
Coal powered?
Old 10-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #21
Fred K-OR

Quote:
You have a smoKestack coming out of the hood?
Coal powered?
No just a "sexy" and noisy exhaust for those days. BTW that hole in the hood was a real challenge to patch for the huckster.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #22
George Miller

Got my first A in 1960. Got it at a junk yard for 60 dollars and drove it home. It was a 1929 special coupe. But I did not know that at the time. The back window was missing I though some one had removed the metal on the back.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
JohnLaVoy

My first was a 29 coupe. But that went away when I decided I needed a phaeton. Still have this one that I restored in 1965 and drove to the MAFCA National meet in 1966! I'm redoing it this winter getting ready for Loveland, CO next summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John and Paul phaeton yosemite low res.jpg (91.8 KB, 32 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #24
mshmodela

My 1st Model A was in fact one of these:

I was only 8 years old or so.... It only took me 42 years until I got a real one:

Nuts and bolts sure beats the heck out of smelly glue

And this car will be my Son's some day...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
Jayce

My dad's first A was a 1928 Tudor AR. He bought it in 1963 for $20 when he was 12 years old, my grandpa restored it in the late 70s and we still have it today, still looking brand new.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
ford-m

Found my 1929 Canadian Roadster in a Barn in Brooklin Ontario. Past owner sold my dad his 31 Deluxe 30 years prior.

First time I saw her.

A little clean up before she leaves the Barn

Diamond in the rough.

Proud Dad

All loaded up

Mamma is saying REALLY...
ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #27
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Yeh, the car is long gone, is the girl long gone too ?
Yes sir,I was smart enough to keep her,married 43 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
nope I got her ! ............

No you didn't!,you pervert! HRP

This is her with her '54 Ranch Wagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download3-vi.jpg (97.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Walt Ebie

My first 'A'...bought off the Rayl Ford used car lot in Hutchinson, KS, in 1955 for.....$65. To keep it in perspective, it was only 25 years old....would be like buying a 1990 car today. Unfortunately, I didn't keep it.....my wife and I dated in it for about 8 or 9 months and I traded it. For a '39 Ford. Didn't keep it either. Didn't we all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-2 1930 Model-A.jpg (55.0 KB, 48 views)
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
Tinbasher

Bought my 28 Sport Coupe in 1985. I hope to have it painted by the spring. 30 years where did that go. Lesson learned, don't buy a car as pieces. It been a great journey looking for the missing parts. It's been a long journey looking for the missing parts!!
John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #30
runnin hot

1st A was a 29 pick-up....about a month ago...I have driven it a few times, and spent a lot more time wandering out to the garage just to check on it, you know, to make sure its not lonely...lol....I have wanted one for over 30 years and finally got one ;-)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
Bader

Phaeton was first,and then a bunch more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.8 KB, 32 views)
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #32
CarlG

My first was an AA 280A (Ambulance) in 1955 when I was 14. Bought it for $45. It only had around 15K original miles on it. Took me about a year to even get license plates for it since Arizona DMV declared it to be a commercial vehicle, and based on it's GVW was going to cost me well over $200. And that was every year! After many, many trips to the county courthouse (where the DMV was located) and installing seats in the back, I finally got a passenger title. They actually called it on the title a "Country Squire", which some of old fogies will remember as the then top of the line Ford Station Wagon. Tags were then around $15/year, much more affordable on a paper route salary.

Like so many of us, "If I only knew what I had . . . "
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #33
Russ B

My first was a 68A cabriolet that I got in 1958 or 1959, just as I was becoming a teenager. I put hydraulic brakes on it at my father's insistence. It already had sealed beam headlights and smaller '35 ford wire wheels. It was all I drove once I got my drivers license, until I got my second Model A running. I really enjoyed regularly driving over the hill to southern Oregon, Ashland and Medford. It was reliable and more than adequate to keep up with the mostly 50 and 55 mph speed limits of the day.

I am now in the process of fully tearing it down one last time for final paint as I have been rebuilding it for the last five years. I am so lucky to have been able to keep it all these years. Still a Model A motor, hydraulic brakes, and sealed beam headlights. But I have added modern shocks, and have the fit and finish done to a much higher level than I was capable of over fifty years ago. This last year and a half, I have been driving it as I "perfected" it, and have been getting much pleasure and fond memories of my life when the same car was my only car.

Oh, the new color will be back to the original Andulasite Blue, as it was when my dad originally bought it new in late 1929. In the sixties, I had repainted it a metallic blue.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
smittykid

I bought my first one in 1971. She was a 30 Tudor Sedan. I think I paid $1,200 for it. Had to sell it in 1995. Got remarried and the house we bought didn't have enough garage space. Within 2 years I cured that problem, but the Model A was long gone. Bought my 2nd one last Aug.-1930 Coupe. Paid a whole bunch more this time.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #35
monto

1930 Tudor - was third owner. Paid $50. Sold it for $20.
Today's A is a '31 Tudor driver. Per the late Yogi Berra -- Deja vu all over again.
Quoting Smittykid "paid a bunch more this time"
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #36
RUNNERBUN

[QUOTE=HOTRODPRIMER;1171176]Yes sir,I was smart enough to keep her,married 43 years ago..[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, 43 years is a great achievement. As we say here in Oz, "she is a keeper" The biggest asset that a car enthusiast/restorer can have is an understanding partner that shares the passion. I am at 42 years married, just one behind you.
Here we are in the late 1970's with my first restoration. Not a Model A, but I have kept it. It is a fun car to drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCANNED PHOTOGRAPHS (59).jpg (199.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #37
mike657894

my first model a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9anzJLKks
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #38
Dodge

I still have my First one, a 1929 Tudor Sedan. I bought it in 1964 and my Mother told
me to never sell it as all my Father's friends were always saying I wish I still had my first
car. I'm glad she did.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #39
Osage Orange

Bought the 29 standard coupe in 1969, drove it during college. Took me 6 months to rebuild the engine, trans, rear, brakes, add wiring, upholstery and glass. Loved crank starting it in the college parking lot. Real attention getter. Kick myself for selling it. Got a 29 AA two years later and still have it.
Osage Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #40
Bob Bidonde

1964 Mom Kathy Bob Model A 3.jpg
My first Model A and I still have it.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #41
1931 flamingo

My first was a 29 sport coupe in about 58.........$100
2nd was a 29 roadster, field find, with rebuilt motor...........$75, sold for $125 disassembled to a friend who hot rodded it.
Next was a 37 coupe, sold for a profit
Then a 32 5W, and then another 5 window, swapped bodies and sold one, probably $300.
Then street rodded it but kept it so it looked almost stock, olds engine, 39 tranny, 40 merc rear end, sw gauges, big and littles , all chrome dash and garnishes, 59-61. Then a 4 cyl Pontiac tempest engine w/taxi clutch/p/plate to the 39 tranny. ^$ back to the Olds. Sold in 72 for about $600. Also sold the 40 coupe, olds powered, 39 tranny, stock bodied, naugy interior in 72. I think I got $700.
About 5 years ago picked up the tudor in my avatar. Got the "itch" now for something else.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #42
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

For those who care.. The first Model A Ford built was the 1903 Model A.

Good friend of mine, here in the Cedar Rapids area, has a fully restored 1903 Model A. Wish it were mine. NOT FOR SALE! And I don't blame him..

Larry

Last edited by Larry Jenkins; 10-17-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #43
Bruce,Upstate NY

My first was a '28 open cab pickup in 1950, $75. Boy was I laughed at for paying so much! Rolled it over in '52 due to edge on macadam and a quarter turn steering wheel play. My first Divine Intervention. Been driving A's for 65 years.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
For those who care.. The first Model A Ford built was the 1903 Model A.

Good friend of mine, here in the Cedar Rapids area, has a fully restored 1903 Model A. Wish it were mine. NOT FOR SALE! And I don't blame him..

Larry
At least he's a good friend of yours, so you can enjoy the car without the expense of buying and storing it.

I wonder how many 1903 Model A's are still around?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #45
Aerocraft

My first A was an early 68B that I bought in 1953 from the town drunk for $50. His friends had immobilized the car by filling the gas tank with gravel. I did "restore" the car - it needed a new subframe - and used it as my High School "chick magnet". Sold it in 1954 when I went on to college.

Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pictures from external drive 13270.jpg (54.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 10-8-16 68B High school 003.jpg (82.8 KB, 40 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #46
Graham

I celebrated my first year of ownership last weekend (before the inch of snow today). I was able to locate the owner who had first restored this car in the early 60's, he lives a few miles away, and was pleased (and surprised) to see his first collector car again after having owned many others.
I was able to find out the original colour from him, and how it got to be this brilliant shade of blue/green. Maybe it'll return to it's original colours some day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hill2.jpg (81.1 KB, 32 views)
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #47
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
At least he's a good friend of yours, so you can enjoy the car without the expense of buying and storing it.

I wonder how many 1903 Model A's are still around?
He tells me 6.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #48
kenparker

Here is my first Model A. Bought in spring of 1970, but she did not look like this. You can imagine the shape she was in. Engine only lasted about one year. After all the work and years of love it is time to give her up. Sad, but she is for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aug 2015 4.jpg (88.2 KB, 21 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #49
noyo55

I got mine in 1964 as a Christmas Present from my dad. He was worried about my survival after I "won" a race with the local PD with my 57 Pontiac. I prepped it for paint and had it painted for time and materials, 130 dollars. Borrowed moms sewing machine and found some inexpensive faux alligator vinyl and upholstered it.I drove it all through my college years. In 76 I had one of my 20$ B engines built in a trade for two NOS Winfield model S carbs that came out of my grandfathers garage. I stripped the paint and painted it again I installed a Labaron Bonney interior and rumble seat cushions. It's out in the garage now waiting for me to finish the brakes. When I go it will pass to my grandsons who are crazy about it. Thanks Dad
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #50
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

My kids want Pea Cup. (1930 CCPU in restoration.) Oldest asked first, then youngest asked. She's upset that oldest beat her to it.

What to do?

Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #51
tiretrx

Had "Uncle Henry" four years now. Friend told me he was sitting at a yard sale a town over. Took a look and bought him. Happy I did.

tiretrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #52
Skeezixx

Back in 1966:

Model A Ford 1966.jpg

More recently:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easter Sunday 004.jpg (251.5 KB, 37 views)
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #53
John Stone

First A was the yellow pickup in my avatar. Got it in 1961 and am so glad I kept it.

Last edited by John Stone; 10-20-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added some more.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #54
Quigley1930

My first A was the pickup Daddy bought brand spanking new in 1931. I kinda inherited it about 1950 but he had the title. Off to college in the 60's . my Mom got ired of looking at it so it was sold for $100. Needless to say I was upset.

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #55
montanafordman

I don't have the long history that some of you have on here but here is my first Model A - at the time it was my grandfathers car and this photo was taken after I drove it for the first time. I think this was probably fall of 1996. I was 15 or 16 at the time. Terrible picture of me and it got me with my eyes closed but you get the idea. The car is sitting in my garage now getting a complete makeover. All the mechanical components have already been done now its time for bodywork and interior.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #56
bobpo1

Bought my 1st and only lady when I was only 72 yrs old, took 2-1/2 yrs to restore 'er and been driving 'er ever since. Getting ready to lay 'er up for the winter. But I'll keep the insurance in case of a nice day now and then.
That's my 'Miss Tilly"
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #57
Henry's Lady's Man

interesting avatar...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #58
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
Back in 1966:

Attachment 242984

More recently:
interesting avatar...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #59
George Miller

My first ride in a Model A.I was born on 3-5-37 in Flint Mich. To Glenn and Sara Miller

When I was 4 years old in 1941 I was playing with a neighbor boy. We decided to run a way from home and go to school, which was down the street and across the road. I think we seen some kids playing on the play ground.
We got there and every thing was fine until some one found out we should not be there. The teacher and her husband, the janitor, gave me a ride home in their 1928 Ford coupe. Sitting between the two of them (which were really big people to me) the dash was all I could see. I can still see that dash yet today. I was really scared , that my Dad was going to tan my hide. Wonder if that is why I have a 1928 Ford coupe. When I got home my mother said just wait until your Dad gets home, you are in big trouble. When Dad got home I was still white as a sheet, he said I think you have been punished enough.

In 1960 got a 1928 Model A special coupe for 60 dollars, the only problem was I forgot to tell my wife Marilyn. Funny thing I was getting it painted , I stopped to check on it on the way home from work. The problem this time was I was supposed to pick my wife Marilyn up from work. When I finely got there she was standing on the side walk waiting for me that was not good.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote