Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Best and worst seats/driving position

Your best option is to get to a large show or club gathering of various Model A's. Look, observe, and ask each owner of a body style you like if you can "sit" in it. Most (if not all) will say : Yes. Me thinks that's about the only way YOU are going to find out.
That's what I did at an AACA meet.
I ended up with a late 31 tudor, driver's seat already moved back about 6". I still have trouble getting left leg (hip replaced) in, but once in it's quite comfortable. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

As you can see there are a wide variety of opinions, short thin people may not mind a roadster pick up. If the seats springs are worn or non stock it effects the comfort. When I let people sit in my fordor they seem to find it more comfortable then their moden cars, go figure.

If you go here,

http://public.fotki.com/dcfletcher/a...model-a-scans/

you will find scans of all the body styles with dimentions that show the relationship between seats and steering wheels and such.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

I was forced to alter my '29 coupe seating for more leg room. NOTHING on the car itself was altered & can be changed back to stock in 10 minutes! They SWIVEL too! (Buster helped me to get all 3 pics downloaded!) And NO, there's NOT a couple sittin' on bar stool posts somewhere!! I bought them, BRAND NEW!! Got the swivels from Bass Pro Shops as I found out that swivel seats & DRUNKS don't do well together! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small5.jpg (76.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg small7.jpg (69.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg small6.jpg (70.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-19-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: ADDED STUFF
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

Great Discussion! There isn't much around about cushions, springs, and seats. I'm trying to make my springs from an old mattress inner spring. It seems somewhat stiffer than the original, but then the original is very rusty and probably weakened. I will tie it down in the rear to create a rearward slope of the cushion.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
SLPreston53

From the cars I have had, the Tudor seat is uncomfortable for tours, Coupe and Cabriolet seats are pretty similar and comfortable and my Pickup seat is comfortable enough, but the lack of any way to adjust the seat can make it uncomfortable in terms of seat to wheel and seat to pedals.
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Bob-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm 6 ft, 225 lbs and somewhat nimble:

My 1929 roadster is completely restored and is border line uncomfortable, especially in the leg room. My knee hits the sterring wheel when I use the brake/clutch. Right now I'm working on a "wooden" steering wheel with an aluminum spider that has a greater dish to it. That if I can adapt it to the '29 2-tooth column (and it is looking very promising....fingers crossed) will get me another inch or so "knee" room!

The 1931 roadster is unrestored but redone cosmetically back in the early 50's. Interior is worn out with the springs poking you in the back unless you use an old style ventilated seat cushion. In pain language the car is comfortable as hell for me!

On both cars with the top up the act of entrance/exit is greatly "enhanced"...should we say. The '29 takes some real contortionist movements for me to do.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

I'm surprized by some comments about the extra room in 1930-1 open cars over the 1928-9 open cars. I find my friend's 31 windwings to be in the way, but otherwise I haven't noticed the difference from his 31 Phaeton to my 28 Phaeton.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'm surprized by some comments about the extra room in 1930-1 open cars over the 1928-9 open cars. I find my friend's 31 windwings to be in the way, but otherwise I haven't noticed the difference from his 31 Phaeton to my 28 Phaeton.
He probably has repro seat springs. I should note the larger door openings on the '30 Roadsters and Phaetons is very helpful to some of getting in and out.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
dwollam

I hated the seat in my 29 Tudor. Like sitting on a beach ball. Sold it after getting my 31 Roadster pickup. It is tight but fits me well. For me a late 31 steering column brace is a must as I find myself "hanging" my arms on the steering wheel. I hope my late coupe will fit me as well. Should be running by spring or summer.
dwollam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #30
Karl

The secret is to restore them so they fit you. My Sportscoupe was incredibly comfortable and easy to get in and out of but the Phaeton wasn't. I took 1/2 inch out of the front seat depth on the back and base of the phaeton and now is great Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
TerryH

Before I bought my Model A about 6 years ago, I thought that I wanted a roadster, even though I had never driven one. A good friend had a very nice 1930 Deluxe Roadster, and insisted on me driving it...he was smaller than me and was concerned about the fit. I am 6' and about 210 lbs. It only took about a 10 minute drive to convince me that a roadster was not the way to go...wonderful looker, but too tight for me....not enough room in front of the steering wheel and also difficult to get in and out with the narrow opening between the cowl and the seat.
I ended up with a 1930 Murray Town Sedan and love the seats in it. The front seat adjusts and is plenty comfortable for 2 adults driving all day. The full bench seat is also nice and it fits me just fine.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
partridgekelley

I have owned a 28/29 closed cab pick-up for 53 years and it has to be the worst seating in the world. If I didn't love the truck so much I would have to pass it on. It wasn't even comfortable when I was 14 , now I'm 67 and have tried many seat changes looking for the best ride. I took the truck on a ride to a nearby town today , about a 120 mile round trip, and am I glad to be in my recliner now. Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
shookie

BY FAR MY 1929 FORDOR LEATHERBACK. THE FRONT SEAT IS
NON - ADJUSTABLE AND ANCHORED TO THE SIDE PILLARS.
I AM ONLY 5 ' 9 " AND IT IS A TIGHT FIT !!!!
shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
BrianBurkert

I just fininshed upholstering the cushions on my 31 Roadster tonight. I used excellent original seat springs. I am very surprised at how comfortable the seat is. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs. and getting in and out is a bit tight, though. My wife hates the seats in our Tudor as you roll back and forth on them. Any my 1930 AA closed cab isn't all that comfortable either, but tolerable (the ride, on the other hand...).

The worst car I was ever in was a 1929 station wagon. I just didn't fit in the driver seat.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote