Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Sckxyss

Default Model B engine transmission and brakes on Model A

I have in hand a model B 4 cylinder engine and transmission and 12 inch mechanical brakes for the 4 wheels i want to put on a model A frame.

I have a model A brake shaft already modified with 2 levers and i can get a B brake shaft for cheap.

If i cut the wishbone and fit it on the side rails it will work with mechanical brakes or i need to buy the adaptor kit.

It is best to keep the model A brake shaft or put the model B one.

Best regards.
Sckxyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
62pan

Default Re: Model B engine transmission and brakes on Model A

I would suggest you search your questions on the Hamb. Using a B engine and transmission you first need to figure out how to mount it. Keeping a B transmission also leads to no wishbone or pedal mount. As far as brakes I would only use the 32 brakes up front and keep the A brakes in the rear. You will need 32 spring perches but everything else can be A. Good luck.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you the chapter of my book titled 'Putting a Bee in your A'. It will not answer your brake question but may be of some help??? I think it will be easier to stay with the A brake shafts.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
MAG

I have installed '32 brakes on the front of 2 Model A's. Use '32 backing plates drum and all internal parts. No modifications required. They work well.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Charlville

Dennis Cling has a range of items that can help http://clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=3000

Bert's Model A also stock items for this type of activity
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

I have installed '32-34 brakes on all 4 wheels of my model A and have installed fronts only on several others.

Use the original Model A cross shaft.

The fronts are a piece of cake as there are no modifications required at all, just bolt them on, but be sure to use the longer 32-34 operating pins.

The rears are a bit more involved. Use the Model A cross shaft and add a lever on it for the emergency brake. This is necessary because the 32-34 brakes do not have separate emergency brake mechanisms in the rear backing plates and only have one lever on each rear backing plate. When you pull back on the emergency brake handle, you apply the brakes on all four wheels, not just the rears.

You will need to heat the rear levers and bend them closer to the backing plate and also twist them a little to get the rear brake rods to clear the shocks and to line up with the Model A cross shaft levers.

You will need to space the rear drums away from the backing plates by adding axle shims and/or machining a little off the outside lip of the drums. For some reason, the backing plate mounting surface on the Model A rear axle housing is closer to the end of the axle than the '32-34. This puts the 32-34 backing plate out too far and the drum will interfere.

You have to re-work the pull rods from the brake pedal so it has a long slot on the end that attaches to the cross shaft lever. You have to make a shorter pull rod for the emergency brake handle with a long slot in the end that attaches to the new lever you added to the cross shaft. Look at the long slots on the pull rods the 32-34's used. This will keep the emergency brake handle from moving when you push on the brake pedal and will keep the pedal from going down when you pull back on the emergency brake handle.

Adjust the 32-34 brakes the same way you would adjust Model A brakes.

You will wind up with 12 inch drums on all four corners and better brakes.

However, while I have complete welding, machining and fabricating facilities in my shop, I would NOT install the 32-34 rear brakes again, only the fronts. I would then do a full restoration on the rear brakes using new cast iron drums and woven linings.

This is MUCH easier and will give you a more balanced system. You will be adding brake effort to the front axle and and getting away from the less than optimum 40/60 front to rear ratio that was designed into all the early Ford mechanical brakes.

I would also use woven linings on the fronts. The parts in the front backing plates are all the same as Model A except the shoes, linings and shoe return springs. The operating pins are 1/2 inch longer to compensate for the larger drums.

The problem with 32-34 brakes is finding good drums. Most are oversized and worn out and they do not make reproductions.

My experience and My opinion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 10-06-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #7
Sckxyss

Thanks for all your advices, i will stay with model A brakes on the rear and the splitted wishbone must clear the brakes rods. Luckily the front brake drums i got seems excellents, a precision 12 inch ruler didn't fit into the drums.
Regards.
Sckxyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Bob C

Bert's has this adapter setup. https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...&category_id=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7002-600x800.jpg (16.3 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

I would not split the front wishbone but use the adapter kit as Bob C recommended.

You will have a better result when finished.

My Opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #10
Mikko_

I'm using the adapter kit from Bert's in my Phaeton, nice quality items in my opinion.

I've seen that Snyder also sells the Model B adapter kit now.
Mikko_ is offline   Reply With Quote