Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
motorman

Default Converting 37 mech. brakes to hydraulic ?

I need to know what will fit on my 37 as far as brakes. Can I use any of the old mechanical brakes? Can I use the 37 drums, linning? Will 46 Ford brakes bolt on ? What to use for the brake pedal? Thanks in advance for the info.
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: Converting 37 mech. brakes to hydraulic ?

39 pedal assembly,39-48 backing plates,shoes and cylinders.37 drums will work.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
ford38v8

37-38 cable mechanicals are as good as it gets. Don't screw it up.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Contact Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 about the bracket he makes to use the original pedals with a hydraulic master cylinder. I haven't seen this particular adapter but everything he makes seems to be exceptionally well designed and manufactured. I think your drums can be used with the later hydraulic (1939-48) backing plates but confirm with Richard. You can not use the shoes. If you use the '46 brake drums you will have a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern (which may be what you want) instead of the 5 on 10 1/4. If you want to upgrade ask him about Lincoln brakes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

Having had a 39, and a 46 I do not consider hydraulic brakes an improvement ---if the 39 had mechanical brakes I would still have it
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
V8COOPMAN

I will add that my '37 brakes have NEVER leaked one drop of brake fluid since the Hindenburg crashed. Work good, too! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
bbrocksr

Why do you think the manufacturers quit using mechanical brakes over seventy years ago
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Why do you think the manufacturers quit using mechanical brakes over seventy years ago
Bill
For one thing, hydraulic principles make it easier to MAINTAIN equal (theoretical) pressures to ALL shoes in an antiquated hydraulic brake (shoe) system, where-as, a mechanical (cables for '37-'38) system would possibly require frequent "tweaking" to maintain equal brake shoe application pressures. In addition, it's well-known that Henry was one of the last to "cave-in" to the pressure to go hydraulic. "Seventy years ago", as well as currently, the AVERAGE car buyers (MANY knowing nothing about automotive systems or principles) tended to make car-buying decisions based on "buzz-words" and new-car sales "hype". Henry simply HAD to eventually keep-up with the others that had already gone hydraulic for their own reasons. Understand please...I am NOT suggesting that hydraulics are NOT AS GOOD as mechanicals. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I will add that my '37 brakes have NEVER leaked one drop of brake fluid since the Hindenburg crashed. Work good, too! DD
Hate to add to the hijack of this mans' thread, but have to agree with you ! I'm toward the end of an long journey to revive '39/'41 hydraulics and to correct a horrible attempt to install them in place of the rod mechanicals that henry put thereon. As I toiled on a system that I hadn't paid for in $, but I paid for it a second time in blood/sweat/tears,eh! I kept looking at my '30 roadster with its' restored mechanicals and had the EXACT thot that you've succintly expressed. Life is funny (odd)sometimes. I ended up buying hydraulic parts from a barner back east..who was returning his vehicle to mechanicals. Then there's this gentleman , who is going the other way. To each his own
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

In My opinion neither brake systen is adaquet for todas driving. Adding a dual system with disks up front is the only way to go for a driver. Now if you're onl;y interested in parades, leave them alone.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Zeke...PA

You have to modify frame opening for the 39 pedal assm. Here is a couple pictures. Zeke
I made a template to put on frame to mark the piece to remove, which you can see sitting on the frame just left and above pedal assm on first photo and the template to the right, then drilled holes and mounted. I used the 47 backplates and shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 pedal assm 001.JPG (122.7 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg piping 030.jpg (58.9 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Zeke...PA; 09-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Zeke...PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke...PA View Post
You have to modify frame opening for the 39 pedal assm. Here is a couple pictures. Zeke
Hey Zeke,
Nice input/pics, which should help him and Me and a lot of those not knowing. I'd show you pics of my 'system' that someone put in...but you'd have to have a strong stomach,eh I'm going to use your pics as encouragement to change this mess. if I don't change vehicles first.

BTW- to answer original question, I'd go with either '39/'41 setup , i.e.- backplates/shoes (my preference) or '42/'48 setup, Zekes '39 pedal setup...and sell your mechanical setup...to me Shame is tho , that I don't know anything about how the '36 rod mechanicals were..as everything removed/destroyed..even to cutting tops of kingpins off
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Nice job.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Jack 34pu

One thing to remember with both systems is the amount of tread on the asphalt. I have a hyd conversion on my 34pu. Original style tires have a really small footprint. Either system can lock up the wheels if not carefull. Sometimes we are tempted to over inflate front tires to improve steering. This can result in disaster. I feel safer with hyd but that is an unproven opinion.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
In My opinion neither brake systen is adaquet for todas driving. Adding a dual system with disks up front is the only way to go for a driver. Now if you're onl;y interested in parades, leave them alone.
You've got to love this man,he always make a lot of sense. If you're talking safety go with the disc set-up. It depends on the kind of driving you are doing. There are other people out there on the road besides you. For my sake think safe.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
Richard (EV8G)

Thanks again Charlie!!!

For those who prefer mechanical brakes I have no quarrel. However, IF one prefers to convert to hydraulic brakes while doing no harm, we have solutions...

39-42 Ford/Lockheed brakes have adjustable lower shoe anchors to PROPERLY CENTER THE SHOE LINING in the drums ONLY when new shoe linings are installed. To obtain maximum lining contact, the linings need to be arc-ground to fit the drums. Thereafter, the (upper clearance) adjustment procedure is the same as with the later 46-48 type, which have self-centering shoes. The newer design is no doubt the result of widespread misunderstanding of how to properly adjust the earlier brakes. The Service Bulletin procedure fails to explain the purpose of what is being done. Some actually prefer the early design as being more precise, with the thinking that the later design creates some lag while the shoes center...

Also consider the new Bendix Self-Energizing brakes. The Ford/Lockheed brakes essentially use ONLY the forward shoe when stopping going forward. The Bendix
brakes use BOTH shoes and the energy of the rotating drum to create servo
action that reduces the amount of pedal pressure required while applying BOTH shoes against a fixed anchor.

It is correct that stopping is limited by the amount of tire "foot print" and therefore (especially with Bendix) care must be taken to NOT lock up the wheels and thereby risk loss of control.

Because disc brakes may not be compatible with Ford or KH wire wheels or 36-39 "wide 5" wheels, the Bendix brakes are the next best choice if keeping original appearance is important.

Richard
[email protected] <contact